Buzzing when playing 12th fret on D string

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by richiek65, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

There are two ways. Feeler gauge is the best, but it can be pretty quick and dirty. Hold a string down at the first fret, find the blade the fits under the second. Lets say its 3 thousands. Now jus move up the neck with the 0.003 blade, you will be able to tell if its getting tighter, looser or staying about the same. Remember that if the string didn't buzz at the first fret with 0.003 (or whatever) gap, it won't buzz at any other fret with that same gap.

The really quick test is to hold the string down at a given fret and tap it on top of the next one - you want to feel a bit of movement and hear the little "ping" that tells you you have a gap. It doesn't tell you how that gap is changing but with a little experience you'll learn when you don't have enough.

richiek65 likes this.
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buzzing reduces as i bend

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Using your second method, I'm getting very little movement when I hold 12 and tap the string onto 13, compared to all over the rest of the fretboard. I'll try a bit of contact therapy on it tomorrow. Filing etc ain't gonna happen, I would want to practice on more than a few cheap guitars before I'd attack this baby.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 7:53 AM
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Find something that will just span 3 frets in that area and try rocking them. It could be a high fret which will need filing or it still could be relief and action. A good tech should be able to help figure out which one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.