Buzzing when playing 12th fret on D string

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by richiek65, Oct 16, 2020.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Recently acquired an Orville 335, when I play the D string at the 12th fret there's a decent buzz, heard thru the amp as well. This is the only area of the neck with any buzz.

Would this indicate a slightly high 13th fret, and how would I rectify it? Very nervous about not getting it right, so if I'm better off taking it to a professional, let me know!

Thanks in advance

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Saddle might be a little low. Or 13th fret might be high. Above 13th is it ok?

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Before you do anything, please measure everything - relief, action at the 12th fret and next fret clearance. That will tell you a lot. Check all the frets for level by rocking them - you may have a slightly high fret. The area around the neck to body joint is frequently a slight problem spot because of the thickness of the heel, the fact that the neck may have some fall off above the joint.

It could be as simple as needing a little less relief and/or slightly higher action, it may need some fret work.

If you don't know how to take the measurement or how to interpret them this might help

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/basic-setup.952636/

PhredE and xtelesquirex like this.
  4. richiek65

Yep, plays cleanly everywhere else, just the one fret on the one string.. Annoying! Otherwise I'm in heaven with this thing

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. richiek65

Thanks for the info and links, I'll see what I've got to use as a fret rocker

6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

A credit type card will work in a pinch.

I use a steel artist/engineer type ruler (cut into various length sections and sanded/polished smooth on the contact surfaces [I'm too cheap to buy a proper fret rocker LOL]).

7. richiek65

I've got engineers rules, but nothing to cut them with (plus they're from my apprenticeship 40 years ago - too sentimental to cut them up!)

PhredE likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Does fr13 look raised off the fretboard on close inspection?....

a light tap with a soft hammer might be enough to get clearance....without removing material....

I had a similar one note buzz on my latest bass build... the fret was a tad high in the centre only, a light filing sorted that....

richiek65 and Boreas like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, I am inclined to believe it is a popped fret.

10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Is it time we insist on pics? I think so.
    (We're a visual bunch)

Pics please!!!

StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. richiek65

Doubt we can see anything, I'm thinking we're talking about a thousandth of an inch or two
    IMG_20201017_122039_copy_2816x2112.jpg

PhredE likes this.
  12. richiek65

Yes I'd rather sort this out with a light tap, I'm not brave enough to do any filing, but worried that whatever the neck is resting on will damage the finish? I'll probably use a piece of timber with a regular hammer so I can be a bit more precise than the old copper lump hammer

13. trev333

rest it in the palm of your hand to take the weight... that won't mark the finish.... we're talking a light tap here...;)

richiek65 likes this.
  14. trev333

or just work that 13th fret/note area with the bottom of that string to simulate a few years of playing.. E flat/ D sharp.... that might banish the buzz on 12... ;)

richiek65 likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

If you do the next fret measurement it will tell you if you have a high fret or not. Since it doesn't buzz at the first fret, fret the D string at one and measure the gap at two. Now fret two and measure three, then three and four, right up the neck. As long as the next fret clearance is the same or greater than the previous one (which didn't buzz) then it won't buzz either.

If you find one fret that the next fret clearance is suddenly less, then it goes back to the same as before (or increases), you've got a high fret. Rock it, work a very thin feeler blade all around it between the crown and fretboard - if you have a gap tap it down. If its just high with no gap, level and dress it.

If the next fret clearance steadily increases from the first to 7 or 9 or so and then starts getting smaller you are seeing the effects of relief. Expect to see the minimum relief at the neck to body area - around 14 on a 335. Decide if you can reduce the amount of relief (I set guitars up with some but very little). To run low relief you need good frets, which takes you back to the rocker.

My favorite fret rocker is the little StewMac action gauge - kills two birds with one tool. Again, all of this is discussed in the setup link I gave you earlier.

PhredE and richiek65 like this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Fret wear up high is usually far less than lower on the neck. You could just need to level down your upper register a bit. Your guitar has got to be at least 20 years old by now. This would not be an uncommon need, even on a guitar that has been played regularly for just a few years.

richiek65 likes this.
  17. richiek65

Are we measuring this with feeler gauges?

18. richiek65

I can practice my vibrato on that note!

PhredE and trev333 like this.
  19. trev333

If the guitar is 20 yrs old.... it's probably a low/worn 12th/ D note causing a 13th fr buzz......

then a fret dress would be in order....

richiek65 likes this.
  20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

have you located the buzz by bending the D string up and down. Does it only buzz on one spot?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.