1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buzzing when I DON'T Touch the Strings!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by FenderGuy53, Dec 2, 2010.

1. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now the 10:54 post says ZERO reading from the control plate to the bridge plate. Before it read "000"

The post above says you have a reading (circuit) ?? ie est 000

If you have ZERO from the control plate to the bridge plate, something has to be wrong with their pup base plate jumper, to the ground (black) wire AT the pickup.

Just touch any short wire from the bridge plate, to the control plate (making the ground connection it needs) to verify that you can loose the noise.

Checking the control plate should work to test for continuity to ground as the pots are metal and attached (bonded) to the control plate (metal) so everything has ground potential there.

If you really want to check you could lift the c plate and do the check RIGHT at the pot case. Could be the solder joint is bad ON the pot and that's why the bridge plate isn't tied in there ???

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry for the confusion. Originally, I was using the 200K setting instead of the 20K setting. I re-tested with the 20K setting and I get a reading from the bridge plate to the control plate.

I am now going to touch a wire from the bridge plate to the control plate. If that works, then I'll check the back of the Volume pot first, then the bridge jumper. Does that sound like the right order?

3. sjtalon

>I get a reading from the bridge plate to the control plate.<

I don't see any reason to go further as far as that goes.....you are good ground wise, your statement above confirms that.

So that's STEP one of the trouble shooting done.

I asked "These pups were quiet in the '05 right ??"

ops sorry, I got mixed up on the swap deal :rolleyes:

These are the NEW Toneriders

4. FenderGuy53

When I said that I got a reading, the reading was above "000". I thought you said that if the reading was "000", then it was okay. Are you saying that any reading (that is, 000 and up) is okay?

Yes, these are the new Vintage Plus pickups. By the way, I really like the pickups. They're very musical, nicely balanced, string-to-string, not trebly at all, and can really twang. You get three, very different sounds, depending upon where the selector happens to be.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

About this buzzing... I removed the control plate and re-routed some of the wiring in the control cavity. I also re-soldered the ground wires to the Volume pot. I'm much happier with the new solder job.

I plugged it in and I get the same thing: buzzes when I touch wood; buzz goes away when I touch anything connected to the strings, such as tuners, strings, bridge plate, bridge, control plate, controls...

What next?

5. David Collins

David Collins Tele-Afflicted

For checking continuity, you should be using the lowest setting your meter has - many actually have a continuity, or diode setting that will beep if the connection is good.

All you need to do is touch one probe to the jack ground, then touch every other component with the other, which in a Tele is pretty much just the control plate, strings or bridge, and neck pickup cover. If you see 0's on your meter in all these tests (or not more than a few ohms if you're in the 200Ω setting), then all your grounding is good.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

What you descibe is completely normal. My sheilded tele with the bridge grounded properly does this as well. It does this because the bridge is grounded. When you touch the strings you become ground as well. And since the human body is conductive your entire body becomes a sheild, similar to how cavity sheilding works. You are a large sheild which is why there is noticably more noise when you dont touch the strings.

7. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

It is completely normal for single coil PUPs to buzz when you are not touching ground (e.g., the strings). No amount of shielding ever makes it go away completely, but fully humbucking PUPs will.

I don't know what pickups are in your "quiet" Tele - but I'd bet they are hum canceling.

8. sjtalon

Multi-Meter reading

Sorry I don't want this to get to complicated, as it doesn't have to be.

Whatever range you have your meter at, 20K, 200K, when the leads ARE NOT TOUCHING, the meter will most likely say "1" with a decimal a place or two to the right the "1". That is an OPEN CIRCUIT, infinity.

When you touch the test leads together, it will go to 0.00 or 00.0. That is a closed curcuit, or what you would want if you are checking continuity, OR to test that there is a BASIC electrical connection (closed circuit) between point "A" and point "B".

Being an Ohm meter reads resistance, while using an ohm meter to test for continuity, you can sometimes get a slight resistance reading (some resistance in all the "stuff " you are testing) that is a little different than what you get when you touch the two test lead together. But that doesn't really matter here, all you are basically verifying is that your electrical connections are there , otherwise you would have NOTHING, or a "1" just like when the leads aren't touching.

9. FenderGuy53

If the buzzing is normal, then I guess there's nothing that I can do but accept the facts.

I have 2 Tele's with Tonerider pickups installed. The '09 Tele has the Hot Classics set and the '05 Tele has the Vintage Plus set. Both pickup sets have bridge pickups with metal baseplates and both pickup sets have RW/RP neck pickups.

The only diff between the two Tele's is that the '09 has paint-shielded body cavities.

When I installed the bridge pickup in the '09, I did not use a ring terminal to ground the bridgeplate because the pickup has a metal baseplate. Instead, I used a ring terminal to ground the paint shielding and ran the end of the ground wire to the Volume pot.

On the '05, there is no paint shielding. Since the bridge has a metal baseplate, I just ran the ground wire directly to the volume pot.

The '09 is very quiet, compared to the '05.

10. FenderGuy53

Ahh. I finally see the light - any "reading" besides the "1" is an indication of continuity. Gotcha.

11. FenderGuy53

Does it matter that the jack ground is twisted in and soldered with the grounds from the two pickups?

12. sjtalon

Nope, ground is ground, any place in there.
    Everybody get's a little one way or another :p

Are you going to try disconnecting a pickup ?

That might narrow down the search for a culprit in there someplace.

13. FenderGuy53

I MAY take a look at that bridge pickup because it has a funky looking solder connection underneath the baseplate. On the other hand, if this buzz is "normal", and I just got lucky with the '09, then I'm tempted to leave well enough alone. Apart from the buzz, the Tele sounds real nice with the new pickups in it.

14. sjtalon

I may not hurt to post over in "Just Pickups" asking for comments on those that have the Vintage Plus pickups in regards to noise.

There are a lot of folks with the Toneriders so I'm sure you'll get some hits.

Could there be a remote possibility you have a bad one in there ??

15. FenderGuy53

Yeah, I think I'll post over on Just Pickups just to get some feedback.

I guess it's possible, but they sound so good. Could a pickup be bad and sound good?

16. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I also think you're comparing it to a guitar that is well shielded. Telecasters buzz when you're not providing the connection to earth with your hands. Heck, my '71 LP Custom does too, albeit to a lesser degree.

17. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

Shield the thing. It'll get the 05 as quiet as the 09 if you do it right.

18. sjtalon

Well I'm not a bad person, but I don't sound so good on the guitar :p

I still say it quite strange that the buzz doesn't subside some when in position 2.

You are the one that has to live with the buzz, so I can't say what's acceptable.

19. FenderGuy53

Well, from the view held by many here, it looks like "The Buzz" is just the nature of the beast, so I'm gonna live with it. I'm not one to start throwin' $$$ at somethin' that MAY work. If there's no cure, then that's good enuf for me.

Besides, "The Buzz" is part of what makes it a Tele, right?

20. FenderGuy53

Well, I got the chance to play the Tele again this afternoon. Geez, those Vintage Plus pickups sound so sweet.

And the buzzing? Well, as it turns out, my Pro Junior amp was the culprit! Yeah, the Tele has a faint buzz, but it's very tolerable.

I really enjoyed spending the time with my new Tele - and it looks great with the new black guard on it. The Tonerider pickups sound so different in each of the toggle positions that it's going to open a lot more opportunities for me, musically speaking.

Thanks to all who helped me through this thing.

I love happy endings! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.