Buzzing problem after removing neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by danadig, Jun 13, 2018.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

So I took off the neck of my strat to install a new loaded pickguard. The neck was off the guitar for about 3 days. I just put everything back together last night, and I'm experiencing buzzing on the low E string on pretty much every fret.

Any ideas or solutions? Everything was perfect before that, and I got a professional setup done last summer when I purchased the guitar.

Thanks!

2. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

First, I have to ask: why did you need to remove the neck to change the pickguard?

Sight unseen, my guess is the neck is out of alignment. The more you remove and reattach a bolt-on neck, the greater risk of misalignment as the screw holes wear out. I've learned this the hard way. Now I never reattach a neck until I've given the screw threads a little beeswax treatment.

awasson likes this.
  3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Weather and lack of tention. Bet it goes away in a low humidity environment.

4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

It most likely threw neck relief off and truss rod need to be adjust to get back to where it should be. Also make sure the neck is fully seated in the bottom of the pocket.

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

before trying anything id give it a few days chances are removing tension off the neck allowed the neck to decrease its relief. Now the strings are back on it'll probably settle back to normal. My advice would be to just avoid removing the neck and just swap strings when changing electronics, you probably spent $100+ on a loaded Strat guard what's another $5 on strings?

6. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

If you don't have the screws all the way down, this will happen. Make sure the neck screws are all fully tightened and pulling the neck all the way down into the pocket.

7. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Did a shim fall out of the pocket when you took the neck off ? Maybe the neck was shimmed

televillian likes this.
  8. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I was thinking the same.

I have a 22-fret Strat and you can’t get the pickguard off without removing the neck. If it’s routed for single coils, then you can’t just lift the bridge end and slide the pickguard out from under the neck.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You left the neck without tension for three days.Wait a few days until it comes back to were it was ;)
    If it doesn't simply add a bit of relief.
    You DO know how to measure relief in order to understand if this is the problem don't you?

10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Loosen the neck a little under string tension, it will pull more tightly into the neck pocket. Make any adjustment necessary to realign the strings, retighten and go from there.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

If none of the suggestions above solve the problem, your neck screws may be binding in the body. You need clearance holes in the body to allow the neck screws to pull it in tight against the floor of the pocket. If the neck screws don't drop in and spin easily in the body, drill the holes out to 11/64". Fender made a lot of guitars with this problem.

kingvox, awasson and beagle like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Lost shim? Also, be carefull tightening the neck screws, dont tighten any very tight to start. If you tighten both at one end too tight, then the other end may not pull down flat fully. Holes in body should allow screws to turn free also.

13. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I'll vouch for the fact that the screws should not be threading into the body. They should pass through, and only screw into the heel of the neck.

This is one of the most common issues with replacing necks after removing them: the neck pocket holes aren't cleared, and the screws actually thread into the body.

I always clear the holes in the neck pocket on any guitar I work on. Guarantees that when you put the neck back on nothing funny will happen.

And of course, be sure to tighten the screws in diagonal order.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.