Buzzing E

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by marklcfc, Mar 17, 2020.

1. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I bought a new guitar last month one of the Vintera 50s but the E string is buzzes quite alot, I was wondering is there anything that is causing this, is the guitar faulty or can it be fixed? It seems to be more with a capo on though.

I recorded a clip to help hear it https://clyp.it/qpzxrkwc

2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

If you bought it from a store, take it back and ask that they set it up correctly. Or at least raise the string yourself.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Check the setup.
    look up youtube Frudua, daves world of fun stuff, sam deeks and follow along with them.

This is what I do:
    fret the 3rd fret, first fret should be 1-2 sheets paper or adjust nut slot
    fret 1st and last fret, 12th fret should be 3-4 sheets of paper or adjust truss rod
    no fretting, a us quarter should fit at the 12th fret or adjust saddles.
    Sometimes a shim is needed under the neck heel
    Sometimes a fret is lifting
    Use a fret rocker on all frets next to all strings and a sharpie to dot the high points. If a lot of them then level the frets.

EsquireBoy and JL_LI like this.
  4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

The main culprits are the saddle, frets or nut. To check the nut, fret the string at the first fret. If the buzzing goes away, chances are it's the nut. You can also try to reset the string on the saddle by first loosening it and they sliding it a tad one way or the other and re-tune to pitch to test. Lastly, if it's a high fret, loosen the string and raise the saddle by turning the saddle screw(s) 1/4-1/2 turn to start. May need a little more height depending on how high it is to start and/or the height of the offending fret(s). Just remember how many turns or fractions of a turn you used so you return the saddle to it's original height.

These aren't the only tests or even definitive, but it's a start.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

bob mason likes this.
  6. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I've checked the nut, I don't know for sure but is the E string not in the nut as it should be? It seems to be not completely in the slot compared to the rest and could this be causing the issue? I attached some photos.

nut-1.jpg

nut.jpg

7. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

The E string looks fine in the nut. That's the way it should be, with the top visible above the slot.

MickM likes this.
  8. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Are you sure? I’m no expert just it just looks angled to me, if you zoomed in. like it’s only half in the slot

9. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Nut looks fine. Anyway you say it's worse with a capo so that rules it out.
    Try adjusting the sadle. Give the height adjustment screw half a turn clockwise and see if it gets any better.
    You might want to check intonation afterwards.

10. Mid Life Crisis

Yep, can't see anything wrong there.

How about a photo showing the string clearance at the 12th fret? It sounds very much from the clip that the buzz is caused by the string being so low that it is hitting frets.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

WHICH E string?
    If the low E , I always set my guitars up with it higher than the high E. To avoid rattling...

12. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Blimey, that's some serious buzz. I agree with the suggestion that we need to see what the action is like further up the neck.

13. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Can you explain where abouts? I'm not good with guitar terms :rolleyes:

14. Mid Life Crisis

Take a side-on photo at the 12th fret so we can see how much gap there is between the fretboard and the E string. Also, if you have a metal ruler, measure the gap between the top on the 12th fret and the underside of the E string. It should be about 2mm or 5/64ths".

15. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

I took a photo and showed the tape measure I have, I don't know if it helps or not.
    12.jpg

16. Mid Life Crisis

Hmmm, can't tell precisely with that tape measure but it certainly doesn't look too low.

I'm thinking it could be the truss rod now. So, next step - put your capo on at the 1st fret and then press the string down with your finger at the last fret at the other end of the neck. Then with your other hand tap the string down at the 8th-9th fret. Does it tap down or is it already touching the frets there? There should be a little bit of a gap half way along the neck, called neck relief, which allows the string to vibrate without hitting the frets. If there is no relief, or more severely if the neck has a bit of a hump in the middle, then the truss rod needs to adjusted to bend the neck everso slightly to give the relief. If you're not familiar with setting up guitars you'd be best advised to take it to a guitar tech to do the job. It's not a big job but needs doing carefully.

17. marklcfc

marklcfc TDPRI Member

Theres a slight gap, quite small though I'd guess about 1mm. My other guitar is similar, although if anything my other guitar has less of a gap there. Although that has some buzzing too. I'm not doing very well with guitars am i :rolleyes:
    I am booked in to take both guitars to a local luthier in April hopefully he will know whats up.

18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I suggest you refer to Fender's Telecaster Setup Guide and start at the beginning and work your way through. Use their suggested settings and when you are done, the guitar will be set up to "factory specs". If the buzz is gone , you're golden, if not, you can then apply adjustments as needed.

19. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Again, agree with the others – this action certainly doesn't look too low. Have you checked each fret along the neck – do any look unusually high? What happens to the buzz as you move the capo up the neck?

20. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

Most of the time in my experience it is a high fret. Check all your frets with a fret rocker.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.