BUZZ when TOUCHING the strings...?

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Now, @ruger9 a couple of months has passed, and lot of water has been running under the bridge. How did it all turn out? still problems?

We, have set up searching for yet another new rehearsal space, and have dodged all rehearsal practice now, both due to corona lockdown, and these buzz/earth shenanigans.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Now, @ruger9 a couple of months has passed, and lot of water has been running under the bridge. How did it all turn out? still problems?

We, have set up searching for yet another new rehearsal space, and have dodged all rehearsal practice now, both due to corona lockdown, and these buzz/earth shenanigans.

Sorry to say... we have been on hiatus... between the holidays, and the bass player having to travel to Denmark for weeks at a time for training, we have not been able to get together. We are finally scheduled for practice the end of this month.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
...ok then...but ..."travel to Denmark" ? He sure must be a very important VIP (VIP powers of ten) entering Denmark during the pandemic lockdown. Not that many people I've heard of can fly in, or fly out from Denmark, which has even more starch restrictions than we have. But ok, he may have got his vaccine though.

ok then... nailbiting...:)

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
...ok then...but ..."travel to Denmark" ? He sure must be a very important VIP (VIP powers of ten) entering Denmark during the pandemic lockdown. Not that many people I've heard of can fly in, or fly out from Denmark, which has even more starch restrictions than we have. But ok, he may have got his vaccine though.

ok then... nailbiting...:)

Not sure who his company is. I know he has to have a negative covid test before he goes, after he arrives, and then has to quarantine there for 4 days when he arrives.

No vaccine.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Ok, so now ome time has passed, and covid restrictions all out of the way, and rehearsal and gigs are starting to gain momentum again, ever so slowly.

How did it went, with all this buzzing strings, now?

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
haha... yes, the buzzing is gone. It must have been a loose connection under the bridge... that and I think an old/bad extension cord at the practice space. I have had noise issues with my rig since then there, even with other guitars. It depends on the day, so I highly suspect the issue is no longer with the guitar, but with the power at the space. Again, meaning most likely a bad cord or power strip, or my rig is plugged into the same circuit as all the outboard gear (mixer, monitors, etc).

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can’t review 165 posts, but I am curious. Do you have an outlet tester. They cost less than $10 and will tell you immediately if the AC power outlet is correctly wired. Noise is a minor problem compared to death by electrocution, and a miswired outlet can provide that quick exit.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I can’t review 165 posts, but I am curious. Do you have an outlet tester. They cost less than $10 and will tell you immediately if the AC power outlet is correctly wired. Noise is a minor problem compared to death by electrocution, and a miswired outlet can provide that quick exit.

haha yes I have one. I can't reach the outlet, it's behind a bunch of AV gear, that's why there's an extension cord run out from behind it. It's an old cord, I suspect the ground on that cord is bad. At this point, the guitar in question acts normally with regard to noise stopping when I touch (ground) the strings. Perhaps the bridge ground wire wasn't making great contact. But the power in the room is suspect. I quit worrying about to to be honest, as soon as I made sure it wasn't my guitar.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
haha yes I have one. I can't reach the outlet, it's behind a bunch of AV gear, that's why there's an extension cord run out from behind it. It's an old cord, I suspect the ground on that cord is bad. At this point, the guitar in question acts normally with regard to noise stopping when I touch (ground) the strings. Perhaps the bridge ground wire wasn't making great contact. But the power in the room is suspect. I quit worrying about to to be honest, as soon as I made sure it wasn't my guitar.

That outlet checker can and should used on the outlet of the extension cord, imho.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
I can, and I can attest to that you provided the same information a long time ago early in this thread. Also when I had the same problems. And yes, I do have an outlet tester. However, since we have different sockets and voltage in Scandinavia, your suggestions will not fare that well. Luckily a lot of them testers exists with our current sent up..(awh, pun intended).

But rightly so, mostly what I've found out too, it's other things than the guitar, if the buzzing (when touching strings) occurs at one location, but others not. The ground wire just doesn't fix itself for no reason when moving between different rehearsal spaces, gig venues, or studios.

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread. But this video is much food for thought and please, go see it through to the end. It is basically what happened when we relocated to a new rehearsal space:

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Yes, that's the last straw, to show that even when we've shielded the **** out of our guitars, and ourselves (it seems) ;) , and even using noiseless pickups, and outlet testers, and expensive voltage regulators like the Furman ARE 1400, and tear our hairs out...far fetched and rare but shows it does exist.

And that that kind of noise is virtually indistinguishable from any kind of unearthed ground wire inside the guitar, shoddy USB cables, and pedals with a digital clock inside.

This should be a sticker video for that.