BUZZ when TOUCHING the strings...?

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
You can test the bridge ground without a multimeter and without removing the strings. Just connect the control plate and the bridge plate from the outside. Tape a wire on, use the blades of a pair of scissors, whatever. If it makes a difference, the bridge ground is either missing or compromised.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I hope you're not referring to me! I read the whole thing. The OP has been waiting for a string change to check the bridge ground.

Wulf

Tele-Afflicted
I hope you're not referring to me! I read the whole thing.
good man...not everyone does you know
i feel for this poor bloke...i think he is at his wits end with the whole proceedings
he gets a bit revved up on occasion...i still think he should open his guitar up and have a look...even if that eliminates it from the problem
Skol
Wulf

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Well, I'm at a loss.

I checked the jack: it is wired correctly.

I removed the bridge, the ground seemed intact, I sanded the bottom to insure good contact, and put it back on.

I insured none of the grounds are touching the shielded cavity walls. I even taped them to be sure.

I'm still getting a reading on the meter, so something is still wrong.

I checked the ground solder points: they look fine. I know solder can be deceiving, so I guess my next step... the only other thing I would know to do is to re-solder the grounds, I guess?

WAIT. I don't think the tone pot is grounded?

Jack ground (sleeve) > back of tone pot > tone cap > tone pot lug > NOWHERE. I am right? Do I just need to ground the tone pot? There is a solder drop on the back of the tone pot where it looks like a ground wire WAS? Something was soldered there, and isn't now....

Also, the shielding tape in the cavity doesn't appear to be grounded to anything either...

Lemme see if I can get a decent picture... (just for the tone pot connections)

Cap is back of pot to outer lug
Wire is middle lug tone pot to output lug vol pot
The pot itself does not appear to be grounded

qfHmFR0.jpg

Last edited:

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Well, I grounded the tone pot, and I grounded the shielding tape. At home, there's no difference.... but keep in mind: this buzzing has only been happening at the rehearsal space; I wasn't able to re-create it at home; and the outlet at the rehearsal space tested fine. Unfortunately, there's a very good likelihood we won't be rehearsing again until January... so this one might have to go on the back burner :(

FWIW, when I test the bridge to the jack nut, it now reads around 7 (previous reading was 86.7)

Wulf

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I grounded the tone pot, and I grounded the shielding tape. At home, there's no difference.... but keep in mind: this buzzing has only been happening at the rehearsal space; I wasn't able to re-create it at home; and the outlet at the rehearsal space tested fine. Unfortunately, there's a very good likelihood we won't be rehearsing again until January... so this one might have to go on the back burner :(

FWIW, when I test the bridge to the jack nut, it now reads around 7 (previous reading was 86.7)
Fingers crossed my friend...fingers crossed...the tone pot should be grounded to vol pot and to the switch...one wire connecting them all will do for that

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Fingers crossed my friend...fingers crossed...the tone pot should be grounded to vol pot and to the switch...one wire connecting them all will do for that

Well, the switch and pickups and bridge all come into a common ground on the back of the volume pot.

So now I'm thinking... the bridge was grounded to the volume pot, the jack was grounded to the tone pot. But the only connection between the vol pot and tone pot was the hot wire, which means the ground was broken and the ONLY thing grounded was the tone pot?? By connecting the vol and tone pots via a ground wire, now the entire guitar is grounded...?

Or, did I ground the strings/vol pot when I touched them (I am ground), and the tone pot was grounded via the jack/amplifier.... IDK.... just hoping this thing worked.

Wulf

Tele-Afflicted
Well, the switch and pickups and bridge all come into a common ground on the back of the volume pot.
Only way to know now is give it a whirl at rehearsal...keep us posted as to how it works
if we have helped you it makes me happy...as does a successful outcome!
Good Luck My Friend
Its been entertaining its a shame i wasnt able to sit with you as you looked through it
keep in touch
Wulf

Last edited:

TimTam

Tele-Holic
Or, did I ground the strings/vol pot when I touched them (I am ground), and the tone pot was grounded via the jack/amplifier.... IDK.... just hoping this thing worked.

You're not ground. You're a noise antenna. Which attracts whatever noise is in the environment. If you touch something grounded, that particular noise (if that's the noise you're hearing ... it might not be) goes to ground.

I don't recall you reporting the resistance reading between the bridge and the hot on the jack. But unfortunately you're past the point where the thread is now too long and scattered for people to read/follow (I tried). A summary of symptoms/findings would help.

Last edited: