1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

buzz past the 12th fret no hump neck is straight, did drop guitar nut has worn out, advice please

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

so i am a clumsy person and i dropped my guitar, it's fine no cracks or anything but after that it played like hell! i took the neck off three times did some spot leveling checked that the neck was straight with no hump at heel, the nut has for some reason worn out as in the strings are much lower now, maybe the force ground the slots down or something? this is a mystery! i have filled the slots with a bit of baking soda and super glue but i think the low E is still a bit low, so my question is really would a low nut effect anything whilst fretted past the 12th fret? when i do chords lower down the neck everything is fine, as soon as i fret on the 13th fret everything goes to hell, but there is no hump everything is straight? thanks a lot for advice, i can usually figure this stuff out but i am lost? truss rod works fine also. is it a nut issue?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure that your neck didn't just overcentre, if it landed on the front corner of the headstock it may just have tweaked the truss rod and gone convex instead of concave.

Often when a neck is too straight or slightly back-bowed it will manifest as too little nut clearance on the first few frets and/or high spots on the high frets.

Often, loosening the strings, backing the truss rod adjuster off until slightly loose, then tuning to pitch is all that's needed to help the neck resume a natural slight concavity that fixes all your issues.

I bought a brand new Ministar travel guitar with all these issues - half a turn off the truss rod, the thing tuned and played spot on.

VWAmTele and ben smith like this.
  3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

ok ill try slack off the truss rod and re-string then adjust as needed. thanks

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

that worked like a charm! it lives! thanks very much for that tip

mfguitar and CDox like this.
  5. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Good save @Dacious bet you made the op s day:)

ben smith and Ricky D. like this.
  6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Nice to know the problem is solved, but let me add this for the next time you think that the nut is the culprit: If the whole nut is low, it's usually more effective to put something underneath it than to address the individual slots. A piece of paper usually works; could be anything from copy paper to a piece of a matchbook, depending on how low it is. An index card is often just right. You need to know how to remove the nut first, of course. Sometimes you have to score the edges with a X-acto or razor, then knock it out with a gentle blow from the fingerboard side. Sometimes you can pull it out with no effort. Sometimes it wants to slide out sideways.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    ben smith likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent. Always a first time....:lol:

ben smith likes this.
  8. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

the force from the fall only seemed to grind the wound strings? the unwound strings slots were fine, weird right? the nut is made of bone too not plastic. anyway thanks god for the indestructible tele!

9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Must have been one hell of a fall Ben , be carefull with her from now on or she might not be so forgiving next time:cool:

ben smith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.