Buzz and Poor Alignment on Tele Bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by silver8ack, Jan 14, 2020.

1. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

Hello!

I just got a Chris Shiflett tele and was checking some things out.

First thing I noticed was there is considerable buzz when not touching any metal parts. I opened her up and all the grounds look good. Only thing I can think of is that there is no cavity shielding, or shielding where the pickups are on the guard. There is shielding around the switch and the pots. There is continuity from the bridge plate to these shield patches and pots and the jack. But the dang thing buzzed so loud. My Strat and ‘real’ Tele are much quieter. I know the pickups are pretty hot so it could just be pickup up interference. As soon as I touch the strings/metal parts the buzz stops. Normal? Will shielding help?

Also, I noticed the bridge has really crappy alignment with the string through holes and one of the bridge screws is almost stripped. It has grip but keeps spinning. :/

Thinking of returning because that is really annoying to me. Sucks cuz I dig the neck, even tho the nut seems to be slightly crooked. Seems like a freakin B Stock but it plays and sounds good.

Here’s a pic of the bridge... was swapping saddles.
    D49121D1-095D-4B6F-AD0B-CBE3D0C1709C.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You do need to make sure the bridge is grounded to a pot but it is a common dilemma with single coils.

It may just as well be a grounding issue in your home as well as picking some noise from lights. Try switching the light off and see of it changes.

Misaligned string thru holes is common as the shift the bridge when locating for string alignment on the fretboard.

Eric

3. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

Thanks.
    This is a double Humbucker guitar tho :eek:. And my Strat and other Tele don’t have this buzz with the same rig and single coils.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean on the bridge. The bridge is installed in the holes that are drilled in the body. It doesn’t move.

Also, I could see SOME misalignment, but it’s as if this bridge wasn’t made for this body. Maybe it wasn’t.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. eallen

Ahh, you didn't mention it being double humbucker. It should have no noise then and you have a grounding problem. I would take the bridge loose and make sure there is a ground wire touching it from underneath. That wire should then be attached to the back of a pot or ground source. A pick of your complete body would help, do your pups have metal covers over them?

As for bridge & hole alignment. While it isn't uncommon for string alignment, the standard full bridge is 2 7/32" string spacing while many commonly available half bridges like yours are 2 1/8" spacing. Your body looks to have possibly been drilled for 2 1/8" expecting the half bridge to be that while ending up with the bridge being 2 7/32". If so, it doesn't hurt anything as long as your strings go thru.

The reality is, the hole size thru the body makes no difference as long as the strings go thru. I have used larger holes when a person isn't sure which spacing they wanted to make sure the strings would go thru for them. I don't like to do 2 1/8" spacing because the standard string ferrules end up virtually touching each other on the back unless you can find smaller ones or use a ferrule bar.

Eric

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

I guess it makes sense for the string holes. But I just don’t like it. Lol. My other tele lines up perfectly :) The string spacing of the bridge is 2 1/8”. It’s like the holes were drilled for 2 1/16” but slightly off to one side. Idk.

Also I did check for the grounding wire and verified there is continuity from the bridge to the pot with a multimeter. The pickups do have covers and appear to be grounded successfully as well.

eallen likes this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are the pickup leads shielded? Gibson uses coax, either one lead, hot center, outer metal braid doubling ad common and shield. Or, 4 wire, the wires are all wrapped in a conductive mylar sheath, which is grounded when you ground the fifth, bare, wire. The whole mess is wrapped in plastic insulation.

What do the Fender HB leads look like?

Also, the electronics are spread out on that guitar, with the switch up on the upper bout. Those wires need to be well shielded too.

7. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

The pickup leads are shielded. They’re in a black sleeve except in the control cavities. I think. I’ll double check. I also forgot to check the pickup covers themselves. I’ll do that today. I may order some 500k pots and rewire everything for kicks and see how that goes.

8. eallen

If the hole alignment really bothers you too much just take the bridge off and enlarge the holes in the body a bit until you don't see them.

If it is a 2 1/8" and they are closer together than that is is rather odd. I wonder what the spacing on the back ferrules measures? There is always s possibility of crooked holes or misaligned from body to ferrule.

With humbuckers I am surprised it doesn't already have 500k pots as that is the "standard".

Eric

9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

If you aren't happy (and I can understand why) I would return it, if it was a cheap Squier I might feel differently but not on a guitar of this price, you shouldn't need to be messing around with it.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you try another of this model locally? I might be thinking about return, too. Or filling, drilling that bridge screw....

All fixable, but why.... unless the next one is the same, or unless this one plays like magic....

11. silver8ack

silver8ack TDPRI Member

The string spacing is drilled at 52mm but the bridge is 54mm
    http://www.sung-il.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=b051_09

j
    ust checked the ferrule spacing and it’s 52. My standard tele is 54mm(2 1/8”)

I wonder if all the Shiflett models are like this. I may take a trip the GC but it’s a little bit of a hike so not sure where I’ll get there. But they do have them in stock according to their website.

eallen likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You know, my sense is they're all going to be like that. Somebody figured, you and I wouldn't mind. But I think this is subpar and I would return it and get another model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.