Buying used: there is a reason they want to sell it

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Mar 10, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

At 61 I'm sorry to say I'm feeling a bit vintage myself.

So I really can't handle the new ones, more comfortable with somewhat older models.

2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When it comes to guitars... you can tell if a used guitar is a good purchase or not. Trust your senses: feel, sound, sight, and your gut!

As for motor vehicles... I will only buy new SUVs/trucks (typically luxury trim); then they're turned back in on another new one before the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. (Usually three years.) Yes, that costs a bit up front to do... BUT, you can enjoy the latest advances in modern vehicle design and technology and, I haven't suffered through, nor paid a penny, for ANY vehicle repairs in decades.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Well, daddy said "Don't buy someone else's problem, son."
    That was about cars, and that's certainly true.
    Gear, that I can fix myself and you can score Major Deals if you're handy.

Thoughtfree and DADGAD like this.
  4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I've got 55+ guitars/basses in my collection, and 85% of them were bought used.

The majority of them were in very good condition when I bought them too.

I have found some amazing used guitars and basses over the last 15+ years.

For some reason there are A LOT of musicians in my area who buy some quality instruments, but don't have the means to hold on to them.

These guitars/basses end up on CL, FB Marketplace, or pawnshops in the area.

I've made a point to hunt as many of the good quality instruments and purchase them.

If any have issues, I've got a local guitar tech who addresses any an all problems.

Most of my stuff has been bought at or below wholesale prices.

I refuse to pay new prices when I can find some amazing used guitars in my area on a regular basis for crazy low prices.

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've never had any underhanded reason for trying to sell anything. It's usually because I no longer needed something or I needed the money. I sold my 73 Tele a couple years ago. The only reason was I have a guitar (that I built myself) that I played way more often than the Tele, and the value of the Tele had gone way way up since I bought it. It was a good deal for everyone.

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

^ Very true.

I bought this black 1996 Les Paul Special that was beat to death. It had sticker residue, dents, paint chips, bad tuners and an electrical short on the tone controls that made it sound muddy. It set me back $350.

[​IMG]

Troubleandahalf and oldfish like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Well, if you're with your wife like I am with mine, you'll always take a shine to her!:)

8. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

The vast majority of used stuff is not on the market because someone tried to unload lemons or was trying to pull something over on anyone. The used market wouldn't be a viable business if the inventory was a bunch of shoddy products.

A far more likely reason for the prevalence of used gear is GAS. Musicians and hobbyists are notorious for buying a lot of gear and constantly wanting to get their hands on other gear, and they let go of perfectly good stuff that didn't end up scratching their itch in order to buy whatever it is they think they want now.

Then there are people who lose their jobs, get in trouble with the law, have a family or health emergency, want to build up some savings, need a home repair, or just want to downsize their collection.

Then there are people who die and their relatives sell their gear.

Then there are the people who got guitars as gifts or decided to try out guitar playing as a hobby and decided it wasn't for them.

fjblair and PhoenixBill like this.
  9. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

the reason people want to sell stuff money every time

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I love the people who buy new stuff... it means lots of cool hardly used stuff for me...

tools, guitars etc...

backporchmusic, MilwMark and DADGAD like this.
  11. David C

David C Tele-Meister

It looks great. If you have the time, inclination, and skills to make it "new" again, more power to you. I wish I had that ability.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

People selling things don't necessarily mean they aren't any good. I have sold many guitars that were really good guitars, also amps. I went through a period of for want of a better term, insanity, where I would buy something keep it way too long to return, then for no apparent reason sell it. I have NEVER had anyone complain about the deals they got from me, or want a return. I have sold many guitars that I really, really liked, why? I have no idea, I think it was a very carefully blended combination of "guitar reverse GAS insanity" and just being plain STUPID!

Thoughtfree likes this.
  13. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I’m not buying a big ticket item off CL etc. but I will buy a big ticket used item from a reputable guitar shop.

14. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Dreamy.
    Just this weekend I scooped up this acoustic with a cracked headstock neck joint for 20 bucks. (caught my eye because I have a 1982 Cort Flying V that I love love love)
    Glued right back up nicely and I was going to give it to my kid nephew, but now it sounds nicer, more direct and fatter than my other acoustic, so that's on pause..
    My other favorite seller is the guy who sold me my Digitech RP355 - tries it a couple times, doesn't get on with it, puts it in the closet with the clear protective film still on it. Finds it years later and lists far too low, just wanting to get rid of it.
    Jawohl mein Herr! I be right there.

Attached Files:

DADGAD likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m surprised so many believe that people only sell gear because there is something wrong with it. Something tells me that view isn’t limited to gear. Hard way to get along, IMO.

16. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

If the dealer is reputable, buying used gear should not be a problem. They want you to come back.

17. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Over the years I've bought used at least 50% of the time. Never been burned, but then again, I know what I'm looking for. Never felt I needed to ask anyone why they're selling. There are many possible reasons. Many of someone else's rejects have become my treasures. Others haven't impressed me as much after awhile, so I move them.

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Last week my wife went to a thrift store & came home with a Fender Acoustasonic 40 amp that she bought for $20. Plugged it in & no sound. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting I determined that the speakers were blown. Ordered 2 replacements for $19 apiece. Got them yesterday & now have a $200 amp for $60 that sounds great.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If there were beatitudes for guitarists one of them would be
    “blessed are the buyers who can repair, recondition the damaged, neglected and broken.”

20. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan Tele-Meister

90% of my gear was used when I bought it. The University of Texas apparently has a lot of guys who tried to play guitar and then needed money more. Or some tech sector guy did the same thing, bought a guitar or amp and then decided not to be a guitarist.
    So that’s when I come along. Why buy new prices when I can buy for less?
    When trying out a vintage white tele, the girlfriend of the seller told me, “if he could play like you, I wouldn’t let him sell it.” I said thanks I’ll take it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.