1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying used: there is a reason they want to sell it

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Mar 10, 2021.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Of all the gear that's ever been made, what do you think is the percentage that's any good?

Then what is the percentage of all the gear ever produced that's currently in production?

Odds are, most of the gear a given person will like will be vintage, or at least used.

At least this is my excuse for feeling disgusted when I walk in a guitar center.
    I wish I could buy more new gear, but most of it I wouldn't be caught dead with.

2. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

DADGAD, thanks for the concern. No need to get into the specifics of my used amp - I am sorting it out as best I can. No great monetary loss, if I don't get it working right.

I figure that this is one of those times that the Universe has chosen to give me a tiny lesson. Which I have absorbed.

Thanks to all for an excellent discussion.

northernguitar and telemnemonics like this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Selling anything hand made also. There's some folks that want to nitpick about dumb stuff.

northernguitar and Torren61 like this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If the story begins,"I'm selling it for a friend", the rest of the story is probably BS.

telemnemonics and Torren61 like this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

More than a few guitars get sold - I'm guessing here - because they don't play right. When a few tweaks to trussrod, bridge and p/u height are all that's needed for great improvement.

The analogue in amps is amps that come stock with crappy tubes, or with a speaker that needs a little break-in. I read the threads about how there is no difference with tube swaps, and speaker break-in is a myth. And have to laugh. In my experience, not true at all. More than one used amp I've purchased has been barely played, and sounded way better with decent tubes and a little play time.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've bought easily a dozen speakers that were bought new, tried in an amp, and sold because the buyer didn't like the sound.
    Virtually all had that new speaker sound that went away with 10-20 hours of loud play.

Indeed plenty of guitars & amps needed a little adjusting or new tubes etc.
    Not a happy result if there's an unseen undisclosed problem though, if the seller claimed it was all in good working order.

mad dog, northernguitar and Drew617 like this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Just wait until the unmentionable ends. I predict a used market awash in guitars that at best received good intentions.

P Thought, aging_rocker and Obsessed like this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i'm not the best at sussing out guitars. so it's always a little bit of a nail biter when i buy one.

but like amps, pedals, synths? never been truly burned. anything that's been wrong is usually easily fixable (like, replacing a jack or pot or something). i mean, can't count how many times i've paid half price or less on "broken" stuff i later fixed in all of ten minutes.

Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

At times I've gone far down the speaker quest rabbit hole, agonized over differences between already diminished returns, so on. It's probably stupid, but can be entertaining and a lot of us have been stuck at home all year. Beats drinking 12 beers on the couch.

I've experienced the same when buying or trading, obviously un-broken-in speakers that were pulled. Good for me I guess, but forced me to realize how unreliable online discussion about speakers really is. All of this stuff is subjective to begin with, but additionally with speakers: Are we sure the poster broke his in? Does it seem like this person has decent taste? Bad taste? Do we know if we're talking about performance in a pine cabinet? Birch? MDF? How big is it? Are they dissing "a Weber" without understanding Weber makes 100 different speakers and none are individually representative? Have we acknowledged that speakers respond differently at different levels? Do they suffer from any hearing loss? Are they an old person? Why aren't we talking about watts and decibels? Damping? ...so on.

What gets attributed to speakers alone might be any number of other factors. A lot of the online conversation, which I'm sure drives more chasing and consumption, and which I've definitely contributed to, is entertainment or anecdote at best.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

At best I get an idea of what trees to bark up in online gear discussions.

If I try a piece of gear in a shop I need every other part of the chain to be my own to be able to "hear that piece of gear".
    So I need my guitar and amp to try a speaker, which I seldom arrange, but go with a return policy.
    I've certainly broght my own guitar and speaker to try an amp though, since I have good amps already and anything I'm considering needs to be critically compared to what i already have.
    Return policies rock, and I love that about GC.

Speakers I've bought and boxed up after a month, but some I pull out later for some other amp or sound goal.
    Never returned a speaker bought used online, just take the hit if i make a mistake, and learn stuff that way.

Drew617 likes this.
  11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

When I was shopping for a used Tele, I came across many homemade bodies. But without fail, they were all also overpriced. Home built can be nice, but it’s not what a lot of sellers think it is.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

It's been a while due to real guitar shops all going under but for years I would not buy a vintage amp unless the shop let me pull the chassis and examine the guts.
    I know how to spot changes and if they were done well or poorly, plus I used to have relationships with shops where there was mutual earned respect.

I've also bought amps in unknown condition at flea markets, and like you said, a little fix and they were fine. Or not!

@Jakedog covered the basic fact that if you the buyer are not able to suss out a piece of gear, you should just go with a reputable retailer and not try to save money by gambling.
    Or gamble regularly enough to learn to suss out gear by making lots of mistakes!
    How do all the question askers online think all the question answerers learned the answers?

OK so many who answer gear tech questions have never seen the actual piece of gear they answer questions about!

Jakedog and loopfinding like this.
  13. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep! I'll resell some eventually if they're not a fit, but the first time I had a new need for a speaker that I'd bought and sold previously, decided it was OK to keep a few on the shelf at any given time.

I cut way back on effects chasing a while ago because I realized I'd just dial in "my" same tone, which is not extreme, with any set of pedals. I'd find marginal differences but got the same basic effect in the end. Unless a given pedal was just not competent for some reason, it kinda didn't matter. But 99% of my playing is with always-on light comp, some clean boost, and a Topanga. Guitar into amp at the store makes it hard to judge what's going on, since everything's responding "wrong." Maybe I should keep a GT-1 or something in the car.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

And that number one reason for selling is GAS, never being satisfied for long and selling perfectly good equipment for more equipment.

Used is a good way to shop!

Drew617 and telemnemonics like this.
  15. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I sell things because I feel like it. Because I want new gear. Getting new stuff is fun. Sometimes it's not bad it's just bad for me. That's why I don't care about the reason and don't usually provide one if asked. If I'm selling on Reverb my feedback should alleviate concerns and if it doesn't you can go to Sweetwater and spend the big money for a new product and to be coddled through the purchase.

Drew617 likes this.
  16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Open box purchases have been very kind to me.

Drew617 likes this.
  17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it would seem:

Some people buy something and never get rid of it unless it is garbage.
    Some people buy something and sell it when they lose interest or want money for a new item.

Some people only buy new because they suspect any and all humans of being untrustworthy pieces of crap who are trying to fleece them, so they want a warranty. Or are germophobes.
    Some people buy used to save money.

Some people need the item in solid working order because they don't know how to or don't want to bother with fixing an item.
    Some people like to buy projects to save money.

But in all cases, an educated consumer has a better experience with their purchase.

So learn up before you go to buy! Visit this site and ask questions before your purchase for good advice and terrible opinions. Ah!

PhoenixBill likes this.
  18. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

My parents had an antique store when I was around 6. My Dad couldn't not drive by a garage sale without stopping. Well how do you think I deal with it? My first guitar was an es-125tc Gibson, next a 61 sgl es paul with the sideway vibrola, then a 335. All used, all very good product from the 60's. For me and some of my Fellow TGP'rs used is the only way. I bought a 330l new on line, sucked. THe only thing I bought new and kept for years was my Gibson 72 or 73 Southern Jumbo. I'm 66 today, unless I see disposable income coming my way, new isn't a necessity. I know too much about guitars & amps to be uncomfortable in the used arena. BUT! I am a Realtor, I see & smell peoples buying habits. Some people, no matter what, twist in the wind if something is not new. If that is you, you can't change. That is your comfort zone. Really I can't change. If I had the change to do as I like, I'd still look through craigslist or ask someone here if they know of such & such guitar or amp. WE love the hunt and finding something kick but that jives with your playing, priceless.

19. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

This is one of those things where there's two kinds of people, those who like new stuff and those that want to get a deal buying used. It's on you if at 68 you haven't figured out which you are...

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

By the way , you're out of Scotch .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.