1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying Rocksmith 2014 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Fred Rogers, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking about checking it out, but with the cable it's near $80. Just want to know if this is helpful for learning. I'm a not a beginner, but I could always use new learning tools.

2. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I asked the same question too.At 80$ I'm a little hesitant to buy. I'll wait it out a little to hear more reviews about it.The price will come down too .I'm not really into videos games and that is what some are calling it.Others think it's great.I'm not convinced yet.And I'm accustomed to learning by books.You tube is not bad either

3. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Here's my POV. I'm self taught, intermediate level, maybe.

I bought it for the PC/Mac (Mac) and have had terrible latency issues with the sound no matter what computer I use. One user here mentioned he had the latency issue too and his went away. I think mine is slowly going away as well which is promising.

What I don't like is the structure, or lack of, what you should do first - there is no guidance in the program as on how to proceed.

This was first a console game (program) and the transition to a computer does not equate well to the computer experience. For instance, you can click and highlite options with your mouse but you need the computer keyboard (enter) to select the option.

All-in-all it seems like it can be a useful tool in practicing but I have not got the hang of it yet.

Hope this helps...

4. redstrand

redstrand Tele-Meister

I have it for the 360, love it. The new one is good for practice, it helps to have something that tracks progress. It's a good supplement, not a replacement. Lessons are 20 per half hour around here so think of it as 4 lessons that keep on giving :D

5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have the original Rocksmith. Xbox.
    It is good for a workout.

6. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

I got it a couple of months ago. It is pretty cool.

I am playing Rocksmith 2014 on Mac and have had no latency or other performance issues. It cost me 40 EURO including the Real Tone Cable (which is a USB audio interface combined with a guitar cable).

The way to think of it is like a moving TAB that allows you to play along with the music without going backwards and forwards to your music stand. The dynamic difficulty feature is a nice way to play along with something difficult, with an alternative easier arrangement.

The Riff Repeater function breaks songs down into sections and then allows you to reduce speed and keep repeating; a great woodshedding function. I used to use an iPad with JamUp Pro to do a similar thing, but Rocksmith is better.

It is not perfect, especially on timing. Sometimes I play stuff that sounds crap and I still get 100% correct. Sometimes I play stuff that I know should be 100% and I get "miss" or "late" messages. But this is pretty rare. But then sometimes it spots faults in my playing i didn't know where there.

I have also had the experience where I thought I knew how to play something, but then I find out through Rocksmith that either I have been playing it wrong for the last 20 years or that I can't play it at the right tempo!

You get about 40 songs free with the game and then there must be another 200 available as in-app purchases, but there is also a thriving hobbyist community centered around the customsforge.com site, where they now have over 10,000 songs created for Rocksmith, using tools developed by the community.

So I am a big fan and I think this is the future. The note/timing recognition engine is already very very good and will improve. I think a great opportunity for the Rocksmith guys to do would be to partner up with Guitar Technniques or Total Guitar magazine for Rocksmith enabled issues. You could put all the tutorial videos in the game and of course play the exercise and song tabs within Rocksmith.

7. drmoniker

drmoniker TDPRI Member

I have the original for PS3 & PC. I got the pc version cheap side I had the cord. No latency issues with the console, but some with my very entry level pc (and freezes). I like the game a lot and find it to be a useful learning tool. The biggest problem (much like the fitness video games) is the set up and moving between items time. I have 3 small kids, so those precious minutes of practice time get eaten into by loading time.

If I had a better pc or tv to use the console that isn't our main tv, I'd probably buy the new version. Heck, I might anyways.

8. gnew

gnew TDPRI Member

It is 40 on Amazon right now...unless you have a PS4...maybe that will help.

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I have the original for PS3. I just broke it out again because I was home alone today while my girls toured Manhattan on a lark. Fun. My buddy got the new one for his PS4 and he tells me it's the same story: You need to use an external audio amp to certainly avoid latency. I use my Bose Sound Link. Works like a charm. Cable adapters for your personal setup may be required.

Fun stuff. Not really playing guitar but it is like drilling for guitar. It works. Rock discipline, as Petrucci would say. I would never pick that fast. Color-coded tab. Pity the fool who can actually read music. Most of the time I have no idea what songs I'm playing. It was pretty cool.

10. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

That's a good way to look at it. Teaching your fingers what to do, learning songs, strengthening fingers and learning new techniques. But I always then get the urge to play the parts without the game as well so I can concentrate on really playing them -- and really hear how they sound.

One thing they could improve in the game is the mixer. Sometimes it is difficult to hear the track and your own playing at the same time. Pushing the track to one stereo channel and your playing to the other might be a good way to do that, but right now you can only control volume.

But as a woodshedding/practising tool I think Rocksmith is still excellent.

11. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I played the original one a lot (PS3) while I was learning guitar. A great tool. Loved how it figured out how good you were and added more notes to play as you progressed (and took them away again if you couldn't cope, which was a bit humiliating) until you were playing the song pretty much exactly like the original. And could choose lead or rhythm.

I bought the new one and some nice improvements. Loads faster with less wasted time which was a problem with the first one. Generally a slicker experience. Downside is I missed playing the club gigs and working my way up. It was only a virtual crowd but was a buzz trying to get them going and calling for encores.

I haven't played in months, though, since joining a band. Playing with real people is a much faster learning curve, and I've been too busy learning the songs we play. But I'm tempted now to give it another go to see if I can beat my old personal bests. I'd be gutted if I can't.

12. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

Yep. There's no beating that experience :)

13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

The 2014 version is much better than the original. I picked it up about a week ago and it's worth the upgrade. It's still the same zany here-comes-the-colored-block-on-the-sideways-tab-stream presentation, but the mission is better than the old journey. Session mode is also cool. Nice toy. Nice tool.

14. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I had the original Rocksmith and it was great fun for the kids who came to visit although I soon tired of it. I discussed the latest version with a fellow last night at great length and he convinced me that it would be a very fun thing to try out. The list of fun things you can do with it is now endless. Although as with the original there are a number of learning tools included, I would still look at it as simply a fun sort of game with some fantastic enhancements. My attraction is the ability to set up your own band and mess around in a virtual world. The fun factor has increased in many ways. I can only look at it as just plain fun. The tuning mode is also said to be no longer a major pain in the behind. It's a long way down my list of priorities but it deserves a place in the line someday just for fun.

15. Jim DaddyO

Jim DaddyO TDPRI Member

I am having fun with it. I got it for Christmas 2013, had to wait almost a year to get a computer that would play it. Steam is a PITA as it keeps coming on when I start the computer despite telling it not to.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

All things already mentioned here so no need to add more. It's a good tool & motivates me to pick up a guitar, although I haven't touched it in a couple months.

As someone mentioned, an external amp to the system ( I have xbox 360)seems to be useless for me. The latency issue is still present.

I wish there was more guidance.

Still, it's fun.

*edit- forgot to add, I picked 2 on CL for $30-$50. The boy demolished the first disc before I could play it. I got a guitar & cable in that deal. The $30 pop was the replacement disc.

17. Kitty

Kitty Tele-Meister

I've had it a year now and can say it really helps with just fun practice time as you can sit down and easily lose a hour or so.

I practice outside of the game also but it's been great and worth every penny.

As a bonus, it motivated my husband to pick up a Bass this Christmas because he kept watching me have fun on it, so now I have a music buddy ;)

Downside..I have to share now and he stole my favorite guitar strap.. :eek:

Kriticaster likes this.
  18. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

I teach guitar for a living.

I have had two students use Rocksmith and it made a difference in both of them.

Currently, I have a student with Autism. I have worked and worked with him on all kinds of technical things to no avail. I saw him last week, and after a week with Rocksmith he was doing everything I had been trying to get him to do for months. He was playing in time, palm muting and only picking or strumming the correct strings. I was amazed!

So I do believe it works. Give it a shot, at $80 that's 3-4 lessons with a teacher.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

RS 2014 does have some latency issues on my Mac, but it's a 2009 so that's the likely issue. There's a lot of good stuff in there above and beyond the normal play, too, such as a sub-game designed to teach fast chord recognition and switching. Plus, it's just plain fun. It keeps you playing when your regular practice routine isn't working for you.

20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Yep. It gets you playing familiar songs and riffs, along with backing tracks. It's tough, but a LOT of fun. That's one purchase I do not regret.

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.