Buying new guitar: suggestions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blustele, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

I will be buying a new guitar with tax refund. First I just started and can't play much. I have a MIM standard, fine but gasing. I was thinking a 52 HR, just for the humbucker effect, or another 52 style. Btw, I have a PRRI and microcube, so not the usual save your money and get an amp, good on that for now. Genres include blues(pretty much all flavors), country, southern rock, and then any other whim atm. Thanks in advance.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strat! :twisted:

3. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Just learning, want to stay with Tele for now.

4. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

Whatever you buy, get it from a store where you can walk in and handle the thing first.

5. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

Baja!!!

6. Grumpy50

Grumpy50 TDPRI Member

What To Buy

If money is not an issue then your on the right track and cannot go wrong the the 52 AVRI or a 52 HR. If money is an issue I would go Baja.

7. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Money not really an issue, in fact was thinking some sort of 52 and a Baja (but not sure of the difference from the MIM I already have).

8. Grumpy50

Grumpy50 TDPRI Member

You truly need to go to a local dealer and try them out if you can there are huge differences in all of the from feel to sound

9. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

This

10. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Peavey JF !!!!!!!

11. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

"You truly need to go to a local dealer and try them out if you can there are huge differences in all of the from feel to sound." I knew that would come up plenty. I have just started playing and I really haven't developed a certain feel I like. I should wait until I know exactly what I like, but of course I will not.

12. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Guitars are a little like motorcycles. They will tell you when it is time to upgrade. But you can waste a lot of money on guitars that "aren't good enough". On the other hand, buying a $1400 guitar isn't going to stop you from gasing. At least not for long. So you are pretty much caught in a never ending cycle that the rest of us are in.
    When you play the right guitar you'll know. If you get one that is high end, you won't have to sell it if you start to gas for something else. Keep it and hopefully in a few years you will look back and all of the sudden your $1400 guitar is an $1800 buitar.

13. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

If you haven't been playing long, may I suggest staying with what you have, until your skill improves.

I have an MIM on layaway, until I sell another guitar. I have the $$ but need to make room before acquiring another guitar or else I will find my stuff out on the curb. The wife tolerates 7 guitars but that's it.

I've been working really hard, learning new songs and sharpening my skills, so that I'll feel worthy of the new Tele.

14. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

install a humbucker in the neck..keep most of your cash in your pocket..learn to play

15. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

"If you haven't been playing long, may I suggest staying with what you have, until your skill improves. " This is wise advice that I would actually give myself, but I will be buying a new guitar and sort out the errors later. I have the bug with no desire to get rid of it no matter how wise it would be.

16. Actionless

Actionless Tele-Meister

Go for it, actually you can turn this around - having another guitar that you love may encourage you to play even more. I have many guitars that I love and I try to play at least three diiferent ones each day.

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

To me this says 'Les Paul'.

18. Grease_Monkie

Grease_Monkie TDPRI Member

52 AVRI, Baja, or mod the hell out of a CV Tele.

19. Marcus T

Marcus T Tele-Meister

You should try out a G&L ASAT special, with the fat p-90 looking MFD pups. It would suit your musical genres perfectly and are AMAZING guitars.

20. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

So here's a novel idea .... if MINO, contact Ron Kirn (or look him up on your own personal Google machine) and for not much more than one of those nice '52s (they are nice, no doubt) you can get something that is very unique and very yours.

If you want a '52ri, you can get used ones for a lot less than new. I happen to know where you can find a nice one for under a grand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.