Buying lottery tickets is...

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
although the chances of winning are nil , no one ever really understands how much money say 10,000,000.00 really is it sounds nice if you say it fast , but to put it into perspective you would have to spend just under 27,400.00 per day every day for one whole year to go through 10,000,000.00 ,

us mere mortals have never seen that kind of cash or have the where with all for the responsibility attached to it. and in all probability be broke again in less than a year.

when Stephan won the 2,000,000.00 there were 3 groups of people responces ( single Dad raising 3 daughters )
1) all his new friends, most of these guys never paid him a moment of their time prior to
2) those who resented the fact he won, the it should have been me attitude
3) those of us who stood back to watch the piranah's circle ( and circle they did )

really interesting dynamic

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
In Michigan they do not let you remain anonymous if you win. There are too many wackos out there today. They need to change that. What good is the money if you have to go into the Witness Protection Program. :)

Money can bring out the worst of people. Even people you've known your whole life and thought you knew.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Really? Two bucks a week? To help the children?

Don't forget that almost a billion in unclaimed rewards have gone into the school system.....
Here it usually gets allocated to general fund where it eventually offsets tax incentives for relocating businesses.

Reactions: Cam

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My complaint is, the gas station fails to put paper in the gas pump/dispenser, and then you best go inside and get a cash receipt (let me tell you what happens if you assume things are OK and drive off).

Now, you're inside, waiting in line behind a certain kind of person who buys tobacco and/or lottery tickets. They instinctively know, your time is more valued than theirs is and they take 15 minutes deciding what choices to make. And that's why I don't get upset with this world when they don't win the lottery, oh, and they get lung disease or have to have their tongue cut out. They stole part of my life - I'll save my empathy for others, sorry.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Renting hope. Which can help you cope with reality.

And if you control your hopes in buying 'em and win, the few bucks you spend are the best material gamble you could ever make.
Yeah. That's it in a nutshell. Society lets the downtrodden get so far behind the eight-ball, that they're hanging on by a thread. So, rather than addressing the underlying problem, we provide a slim prospect of a fine and dandy future. It just strikes me as terribly cynical. Most guys here, it won't make or break them if they don't win. But there are IMO many people who only hang on, knowing there's a statistical possibility they might win. Otherwise, they
"fold". Dunno about some of you, but this breaks my heart.

For those who see this as "entertainment", you're turning a blind eye to just exactly how desperate some of the players are.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
My mom, a very educated, conservative (yet open-minded) old broad of working-class blood, once told me in regard to buying scratch-offs: “Well, Neil, you can’t win if you don’t play.”

Last edited:

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, it’s stupid. Unless you win, and somebody always does. Unless you truly can’t afford it, or have a gambling addiction I think it’s dumb not to take a shot at riches now and then. To be fair, I’ll admit that I’ve known people who literally can’t control their gambling and have essentially ruined their lives. It’s not a thing I truly understand, but I know it’s real.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, it’s stupid. Unless you win,
I think I get it now. It's smart as long as we buy the winning ticket. Will the clerk tell me which one the winning ticket is?

And — can we all buy the winning ticket?
and somebody always does.
And the somebodies who win big usually have no clue about to manage it — or they wouldn't have bought the ticket in the first place. And it's gone God-knows-where.
Unless you truly can’t afford it, or have a gambling addiction I think it’s dumb not to take a shot at riches now and then.
Wasting money is smart?
To be fair, I’ll admit that I’ve known people who . . . have essentially ruined their lives. It’s not a thing I truly understand, but I know it’s real.
But you still think we should try it? We thought you liked us!

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I've made it to 70 without ever buying a lottery ticket. Don't see any reason to change. As career military I gambled enough with my life.
Same here.

I'll always buy a raffle ticket from a nonprofit I like or a kid outside the supermarket who's fundraising for her soccer team. But (a) I like those folks and (b) the odds are better. The prize isn't the point.

I used to sell raffle tickets for a nonprofit I worked for, and people didn't even ask what the prizes were. They just liked the group.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
There are a lot of bad at math examples that people do that can be critiqued. Buying a lottery ticket once and a while for kicks can be pretty innocuous compared to when some people will drive an hour to find gas that's 10 cents a gallon less all while carrying tens of thousands of revolving credit card debt at 26% every month.