Buying lottery tickets is...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
...a noble gesture because you're helping someone else get rich. Yeah, that"s it.
I used to play $1.00 twice a week, never more. I understood the odds, but it was a good cause, (in Texas, Lotto proceeds benefit education) and it was a cheap way to fantasize. For no particular reason, I stopped a few years ago. I don't even notice the extra two dollars a week I gained. ;););)

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
My daughter was born on the day of the very first UK lottery draw.
That was Fate's way of telling me I was going to be skint for the rest of my life.

Occasionally I buy one of those Schrodinger's Scratch Card's, which is where a scratch card is bought and none of the windows are scratched out.
I've worked out that, until their expiry date, during this time I am a millionaire whilst at the same time I'm not.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
MMMMMM Lottery

lottery.jpg

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Maybe. Has anyone even received that Nigerian payout?

My wife has a girlfriend named Fern who was contacted years ago by a US serviceman serving in Afghanistan. Except he wasn't in Afghanistan ... or a US serviceman ... or American. He eventually admitted he was Nigerian ... BUT Fern stayed in contact with him for some time because "he seemed sincere" :rolleyes:

Manual Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife has a girlfriend named Fern who was contacted years ago by a US serviceman serving in Afghanistan. Except he wasn't in Afghanistan ... or a US serviceman ... or American. He eventually admitted he was Nigerian ... BUT Fern stayed in contact with him for some time because "he seemed sincere" :rolleyes:
None of the ostensibly Nigerian folk I've heard from kept up their end of the conversation, unfortunately. There's a delightful, well-connected fellow from Ghana in one of my inboxes lately though, and he just won't quit no matter how many times I show him how bad at the game he is.
Bless our hearts.

Reactions: Cam

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Maybe. Has anyone even received that Nigerian payout?
Well maybe not THAT particular one, but the concept of a rich person in a terrible bind getting help from a poor person then rewarding the poor person generously?
Sure, that does indeed happen.

Actually even poor people in a bind often cough up a reward if given help by a stranger.
Times Ive stopped to help a stranger on the road with no expectation of reward, at times they shove a $20 at me and if they look much better off I will take it.

Not as outlandish as the Nigerian Prince, but the concept is solid enough, while the problem is that suckers fall for it too easily.

Any Western Union operator has stories of elders wiring money to get their LOTTERY WINNINGS released from customs or whatever, when they win a foreign lottery.
So IME both scams are reality based just rare.
Winning foreign lottery's is actually a very common scam that the victim elders seldom get right on their fave forum to tell us about.

Wealthy foreigners genuinely paying poor people to help them out is probably more common that Americans genuinely winning foreign lottery's, but in the form of paid marriages.

We know that in America we have service industry workers who in their own country were Doctors and other highly paid professionals, but their country was still dangerous even for a white collar citizen, and here we do not hire them as a Doctor because the degree is not honored.
Similarly we see wealthy foreigners pay huge money to get smuggled out and brought to America. Similar sort of situation, just usually the money goes to scary bandits.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Actually you raise a good point that makes (the destination wedding thread) bridezilla $100,000.00 weddings seem a little less crazy.

Compared to years being catfished?
A big debt for some tacky photos may be a better option?

Note that $100,000.00 is not expensive, just a number wrench that fits many nuts.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You’re buying the chance to dream of winning life-changing amounts of money. Your choice, your money (just like locking tuners…)
Sadly an awful lot of habitual lottery players have kids who get a candy bar for breakfast because the budget has no room for food and new shoes etc.

We can write that off as bad parents but remember just like AA and NA for addictions to substances there is Gamblers Anonymous for gambling addicts. Which is why lottery ads include the admonition to “play responsibly” same as drink responsibly.

Last edited:

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
... utterly fruitless, but I buy a small $ amount weekly anyway. I do let people behind me in line go past if I'm going to buy or have tickets checked, as it likewise annoys me when someone ahead of me is doing the same.
I keep buying because I just know that as soon as I stop, my numbers are gonna win (NOT!)

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Sadly an awful lot of habitual lottery players have kids who get a candy bar for breakfast because the budget has no room for food and new shoes etc.

We can write that off as bad parents but remember just like AA and NA for addictions to substances there is Gamblers Anonymous for gambling addicts. Which is why lottery ads include the admonition to “play responsibly” same as drink responsibly.
Your point being what? I’m not trying to be rude, sorry if it comes across that way. I’m genuinely curious to know.

Last edited:

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure it won't be long before we hear about how bad the sports app betting addiction has become. Try watching any sports on TV, you are bombarded with ads telling how cool it is (usually by some washed celebrity) to bet on all the games that day. Of course, at the end of these ads, for about a nanosecond, is a very small message saying "gamble responsibly".

Some people just like to throw a few dollars to chance once and a while, just for kicks. It sure seems like the "pusher man" is going after the people that can't handle that without developing a problem.