1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying guitars online experience

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, May 6, 2020.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I have 20 guitars. Four I built. Of the other 16 I only played 3 before I bought them. To be honest, I bought them because it was the reason I was there. I believe you get what you pay for. Pay for quality, you get quality. I have Martin, Guild, Gretsch, Gibson, Fender, and PRS. Thank God they don't need to be a certain weight, have certain necks, pickups or anything like that. I get pleasure out of picking any one of my guitars up to play, and appreciate all of their differences.

If you're buying on-line you already know that you are also the type of person that doesn't have to play a guitar first to talk yourself into it. You need to buy from a reputable source that will cover you if things go south. That's about it.

Rockinvet likes this.
  2. lojo16

lojo16 NEW MEMBER!

I got deep into lutherie so I can repair or improve any but the worst made guitars.
    It's really very rewarding too. Not many guitars are going to be set up just right for any individual, so it's good to know how to set them up and make modifications.
    With that said, I don't really worry about buying online from someone reputable.

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I bought about a dozen guitars online going back to the early days of ebay. Only thing I got that was bad was a Martin with a funky intonation issue. I would have returned it but I didnt notice it for quite some time. Figured it was just a bad nut.

Anyway, as a buyer you have 100% protection from ebay. Reverb has a good rep as well. At worst you guitar may need a setup.

Rockinvet likes this.
  4. nottsfella64

nottsfella64 TDPRI Member

Took a gamble on a Sigma 000-15 hog
    My all-time favorite thing for £280
    Being a lefty have never tried a Martin etc... Just ain't any to try even if I could travel hundreds of miles and then spend a fortune
    I have that and a Tokai Tele I got from Tokai Bob(Tokai Europe, based here in town)
    The Sigma gets better with every set of strings
    A Peach for me

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. nottsfella64

nottsfella64 TDPRI Member

Tokai's bloody great aswell after a bone nut and compensated brass saddles
    I have joy
    Can't play
    Won't play
    My joy
    :)

6. fullonshred

fullonshred TDPRI Member

The bulk of my purchases have been online. In all but 2 cases I have been exceptionally fortunate in the quality and appearance of these sight unseen purchases. The Douglas I bought from Rondo music and had too many issues was a very quick and easy return. The ESP/LTD I bought as a closeout was a different issue. I had to really press the issue for days before they relented and took it back. It was a fine guitar, but 1 half of the top was highly flamed and the other half had no flame at all and many black spots in the finish under the clear coat. It was absolutely a B Stock guitar but not listed as such. The other ESP/LTD I bought through the same closeout was an incredible value and looked and played great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.