Buying Guitars On-Line

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sirloin, Feb 29, 2008.

1. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

I've been unable to find a 60's Classic Tele anywhere in my area and am considering ordering one from Musicians Friend. Wondering what others experiences are buying guitars sight-on-seen from MF (or other retailers). In other words, what are the chances of getting a good one without being able to see/play it first? Is weight the main issue w/ 60's Classics, heard some can be heavy? Would like to hear your opinions/ experiences. Thanks!

2. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

If you don't like it, send it back within 45 days. Pay only shipping, no questions asked. If it is an instrument with some kind of detectable flaw, they will pay the shipping. Bought many this way.

3. Chris Callahan

Chris Callahan Tele-Holic

My problem is that I hate fooling around with shipping. The one guitar I bought from MF was a dog that I thought I could fix and ended up selling at a loss. My bad for not wanting to hassle the return.
    On the other hand, I have bought many accessories from MF and it always worked out great!

4. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

I have ordered literally dozens of guitars sight-unseen over the years and I have only returned one. I have never had anything but good luck with guitars from MF. Having said that, I go out of my way to order from Sweetwater because their customer service in unmatched. You can also (usually) see photos of the actual guitar before you buy.

5. McFly

McFly Tele-Meister

setup

If you are buying Telecasters, it's really helpful to learn how to do a good setup yourself. It's not that hard and there are a ton of resources on the web that provide all the details. It's almost impossible to damage anything beyond repair and in a little time you can dial in a tele to your exact preference.

Buying online has it's advantages, especially if you buy 'used' gear. It's easy to move out a guitar that you don't bond with and risk very little capital.

50's and 60's MIM Classic Teles: I've been dying to try one out. The problem is there are none around here, I've been to 6 local music stores, including a GC, and some other large places. NOBODY has any, and I can't figure out why.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  6. mikespe

mikespe Tele-Afflicted

I have purchased most of my guitars online and have had great experiences with them. Just make sure you know the return policies of all the vender's you use. MF, American Musical Supply, Music123, Rondo Music...all have excellent return policies. Just keep in mind that you MIGHT have to get a setup on the guitar since they come from the factory right to these venders UNOPENED.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes to McFly's suggestion on knowing about setup. I've made cheap guitars fine that way and good guitars great. Cheap measurement tools and a trip to the library or some web browsing will get the info you need to do basic setup work.

One suggestion would be a shop like Dave's where you'll speak to somebody who will touch the guitar and you can ask that it be checked out and set up if needed. There are other stores than Dave's, but I'm sure you won't have to ask much or long around here to get a good opinion of that business and people I know who work at guitar shops by me take the 2.5 hour drive to go to Daves for their electric guitar needs.

This opposed to my noticing items ordered from the major firms are all packaged at the manufacturer, sent to the dist. center and then sent to you so you have to address setup yourself and/or deal with the return policy.

8. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

ive bought at least a dozen over the last 6 years or so. all but 1 were fine. but, they all needed to be set up to my own standards. others might have found them fine as they were.

i think buying over the net is the future. it is already heavily effecting actual in-store sales. its not really as new as it seems as it greatly reminds me of the old paper catalog sales that pretty much ended in the early sixties. but, those paper catalog sale i.e sears, montgomery wards etc., went on for almost a century.

many people got their first guitars, and many other musical instruments/things, through those catalogs. the great bluesmen in the deep south and elsewhere, got all of those stellas from sears catalogs in the mail

nothing new under the sun.

imho.

rand z

9. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Tele-Holic

I too hate packing and shipping stuff, especially delicate and awkwardly shaped large items like guitars. But in the case of a return to some place like Musician's Friend it's absolutely no hassle at all.

Before I ever discovered Telecasters (and frankly before I ever even looked at them in the local stores) I bought my first electric guitar as a closeout special of some sort from Musician's Friend. As soon as I opened the box it was obviously a totally different (brand, color, type, everything) guitar from what was advertised, it had a wrong barcode on it or something and it was just a random mixup. I called and they sent me a FedEx shipping label which I affixed to the box and dropped off at the FedEx office on my way home that day. A total of maybe 10-15 minutes to do the return at no cost.

So support your local dealers but if you have to go mail order from a major vendor don't sweat it.

10. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

I've never had any problems with MF, Sweetwater, or Elderly. They all do returns hassle free. Sweetwater's by far my favorite. They assign you your own "engineer" who works with you once you place an order and follows up to make sure everything's okay. And they include nice little touches, like candy and magazines, when they pack and ship your order. They don't stock quite the selection that MF and some of the other online places do, but I imagine you could get pretty much anything from them, though it would take a bit longer.

11. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I got my 60s classic online and it weighed a ton. But I liked it so much I just bought a new body for it and now it's better than any stock 60s classic. See if the store online will weigh it for you before buying.

Aside from that, there really can't be that much difference in these production line guitars, I probably just opened a can of worms, but unless you get a total lemon I think you're fine buying online.

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

No worms in the can as far as I'm concerned. In my experience the quality today is more even than ever before, especially when it comes to Teles (maybe because of it's simplicity.....?)

13. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm convinced! Elderly and Sweetwater don't have Oly White's in stock and MF has on-line coupons so I'll give them a try. Thanks again for everyone's help!

14. kb1rcefn

kb1rcefn Tele-Meister

I have ordered on line a lot - live in a small town - and always had good luck. I have ordered mainly from Musicians Friend and Zzounds, and both have been great!! I have only ever received one guitar that I had to return, and (I think it was from Zzounds) they did it with no hassle, and
    NO PROBLEMS!! I will continue to order this way

15. valriver 1940

valriver 1940 TDPRI Member

I Have Ordered Two Guitars On Line. The First Came With The Head Broken Right Off The Neck. The Second Was Perfect. Both Were Packed Well With No Damage To The Boxes. I Wound Fixing The First Guitar Myself,international Sale Were Final Sale.

16. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Follow-up

Hey,

Just wanted to follow-up on this thread. Received my 60s Classic Tele from MF last week. Great guitar and was set-up perfectly right out of the box! Every bit as nice a guitar as my stock '73. Also, included a GA-5 amp in my order and the two sound great together. Thanks everyone for your help!

17. BrutherBill

BrutherBill Tele-Meister

I'll beat everyone to the chase on this...

pics?

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If you sold your camera to pay for this guitar and amp, you did good.

Very good.

But if you did not sell that camera, my friend, the masses are gonna get restless.

Pictures, por favor.

19. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Yep-Nice little group shot......

20. Highway Star

Highway Star TDPRI Member

Agreed ... 10 years ago my local shop tried to tell me that everything from MF etc was seconds or not the same quality as what he was selling for list price ..... well today that same store is still in business and his prices are the SAME as the online sites ....... only you cannot bring it back with no ??? asked for 45 days ....... can't beat a 45 day guarrantee IMO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.