1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying expensive name-brand guitar on Amazon - ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thinking about doing this. I would have no qualms about buying a cheapo, but Gibson, Fender, etc. - ? Thanks for an opinion.

Boreas likes this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Best to give your business to a more local/smaller store that actually does a setup and all that.

SRHmusic, koen, Piggy Stu and 3 others like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't give Amazon any business at all.
    In fact I boycott Amazon for numerous reasons.

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Just pay attention to who the seller is. Some music equipment is sold directly by Amazon, but a lot of it is sold by 3rd party sellers, which may have a different policy on returns and return shipping than Amazon has. I have bought a lot if gear through Amazon. Most of it has come from 3rd party sellers, but their prices and policies were good; I had no problems.

Edit:. I should add, a lot of the 3rd party sellers are small music stores, but occasionally I come across some one that appears to just be a drip shipper. I'd rather give my business to the music store that already has the product in stock.

5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

That depends. How much do you trust the third party seller system on Amazon?

From my point of view, it’s tantamount to buying a name brand guitar from a sketchy guy in a trench coat in a dark alley. But perhaps you have more confidence in their third party seller scheme than me.

I also check the publisher on every book that I order. If I see, “Create Space” I give it a hard pass. But, those are just my opinions. Others may have a different opinion.

Torren61 and Boreas like this.
  6. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I wouldn't. I've bought and sold a few times from online forums, reverb, etc. BUT if I was in the market for an expensive/high end Fender or ANY Gibson, I think I would call around to nearby shops that carries those brands, ask if they have what I'm looking for, and if not can they order me one.
    That way you support local shops and if there is an issue they can ship it back for you, or fix the issue; heck they may give you a discount on your order.
    Also seems like now in days EVERYONE is a Fender dealer. Seriously, seems like every small shop around me. Gibson....epi's ? A little harder to find, but worth a drive IF I was wanting to buy one. JMO.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Shipped and sold by Amazon ... could be a consideration with free return shipping. Otherwise, no way.

gitold, Dereksys38, Piggy Stu and 2 others like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I wouldn't buy anything from Amazon. I've bought a several guitars and amps from Reverb sellers and had mostly very good experiences. The two times when what I got was unsatisfactory, the items went back with no problems.

Don't buy from Amazon.

Dereksys38 and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nothing about it sounds good. Fender parts, maybe. Ammyzon isn't a normal retail market for those guitar manufacturers. In the past, Ammyzon has had trouble with manufacturer warranties (usually electronics) not being honored by merchandise that was sold through Amazon. I don't know the reasoning or specifics. Some companies sell through "exclusive" dealers and distributors, and if that chain is broken, warranty nullification may be a way to penalize those sellers.

One way to check is to contact the manufacturer and see if they market through Amazon. Some manufacturers are so small that they sell anywhere they can. Amazon can be a good choice for them. I purchased an inexpensive Rogue lap steel through Amazon with no issues. But those of us that need to use Amazon frequently due to lack of retail facilities in our area, know that large manufacturers typically don't sell big-ticket items through Amazon. Parts, yes, because that is a different market and distribution system.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've bought a couple of inexpensive, Asian-made guitars on Amazon....as well as a bunch of the mini-pedals of various brands, all with good results. Just make sure any purchase is covered by Amazon's free shipping, return warranty, and free return....if needed. Since I'm not....and likely never will be....in the market for a high-end guitar, any comment I make is purely hypothetical. I would be more likely to buy a "name brand" guitar used and from an individual. CraigsList, Reverb, and Ebay would be sources. In fact, I've bought several guitars or basses on Ebay. They were priced fairly, and exactly as represented. But again, I'm at a point where I have all the (more or less) high end guitars I'll ever need.....and all I "might" buy now would be inexpensive "knock offs" that strike my fancy. ;)

Boreas likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I still want to hold and play a guitar before I buy it.
    I know, I know, easy return policies, yadda yadda...
    It's just what I prefer.

nojazzhere and Piggy Stu like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have more confidence buying Fender unseen than Gibson. Some Gibsons are nothing to me

Bought a few Epiphones unseen, all good

Boreas likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I absolutely agree that "hold and play" is ideal, but sometimes that's just not possible. When I ordered a Grote 335-style on Amazon, as recommended by @FenderGyrl, there simply wasn't one available locally to "try out". The price was so cheap, that even if the worst happened and I couldn't return it, I wouldn't be out much. It turned out to be so good, I ended up ordering another for my guitar tech. But I do agree that checking out in person is "best"....;)

14. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd go straight to a retailer that sells online, even if they have an Amazon store. That way you can talk or email with a "real person." (For one example, Alto Music in NY has both their own website and an Amazon store.)

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.