1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying DIY tool-kit

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Mr. Pocket, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Mr. Pocket

Mr. Pocket Former Member

Hey DIYers I am about to order my first set of tools to rewire guitars, mod and build pedals, mod microphones, fix the old nintendo :D Eventually I hope to build a 5e3 kit.

I'm looking at the Hakko Digital FX888D soldering station based on what I have read, it's about $97 and comes with a nice pair of wire snips. Is this overkill?

My shopping list right now also includes 60/40 solder (guages?), a pointed tip for the iron, a wire stripper, helping hands, de-soldering pump

What I already have: same red multi-meter that come with BYOC starter kit, basic screwdriver set, needle-nose pliers, and a few hours of youtube how to solder videos.

I have some cables that need repair, and my guitar pickups need to be rewired to start, but I'm also thinking about a BYOC kit.

Please let me know if there is anything I am missing here.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

I would check out the panavise system for holding things. The second hand thing just doesn't hold wires like I want, it's tippy and the gator jaws bite into wire casing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.