Buying back my 73 blonde

hammo123

TDPRI Member
It's a long story but I have the opportunity to buy back my first Tele from an old mate..
It's a 73/74 that was heavily modified by me way back when i was a young teenage rocker & couldn't afford a Les Paul or SG hence the mods that will probably make most vintage buffs cringe..

Anyhow I can revert to an aesthetically original look fairly easily as I have the skills... I guess I'm just looking for a few opinions as to what a fair price would be to pay my mate to regain ownership?

The Guitar is a medium weight [for the 70s] & the body & neck are in great shape considering..
The electronics / tuners & pups have all been changed out obviously but too me this old girl has lots of memories & the sentimental value is priceless..
But my friend would prefer dollars so I'm fishing for opinions to see what's fair?
Cheers in advance
5cga47.jpg
[/IMG]
otkoqa.jpg
[/IMG]
2rqna1k.jpg
[/IMG]
21nibv9.jpg
[/IMG]

LeftyAl

Friend of Leo's
Can't help with price advise, but I hope you can get it back.I wish I could get one of my old acoustics back

Major Gruber

Tele-Afflicted
This finish looks great! Even if it shows scars when you put back a regular telly bridge, never refinish it!!

Electronic changed, tuners too (I hate those schallers, but if you put back original tuner models, the holes will be almost invisible). Extra holes and routings for middle pickup… I'd say 1500 $ is a very good price for you and 2000 $ is a very good price for your friend.

hammo123

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the comments guys & i certainly wouldn't be doing anything to the finish..It's well worn & aged like me ;)
Seems she's a little older than i thought or guitardaterproject suggests from the serial number on the neckplate..A nice surprise
dq3n5x.jpg
[/IMG]

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
With all the mods, I say half of what it may be worth unmolested. $1100, maybe? Probably less.

hammo123

TDPRI Member
Just thought I'd post a few updated pics of the Ol' Blondie
Negotiated a price with my mate & have taken back ownership of the first [of many] Fender guitars that I ever purchased almost 40 years ago.

The irony of it is I am now scouring the net & Feebay trying to find vintage correct replacement parts for the stuff I couldn't wait to tear off this Gat when I was a teen :rolleyes:

Ain't karma a b*tch?

30v0xow.jpg

2z6dyed.jpg
28jcjtz.jpg
[/IMG]
13zswg.jpg

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Looks great, but I thought it was a cool guitar with the mods, as well.

Please get that case re-lined. I feel sticky all over just thinking about all the chemicals off-gassing out of that yellow egg crate foam.

hammo123

TDPRI Member
What did you give for it?
I paid my mate $Aud 2,000.00 which I thought was fair..over in the US 70's Teles with major mods go for a song but I'm happy & he was happy & it's back with it's rightful owner now ..I'm a player & he wasn't so in some ways thats been good as the frets are almost at the same level of wear as when I sold it to him hehe:D

Please get that case re-lined. I feel sticky all over just thinking about all the chemicals off-gassing out of that yellow egg crate foam.
Yeah I don't know what the story was with that foam .. stupid stuff it is , you have to almost sit on the case to close it....in fact it's coming out right now!!

tpaul

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice looking guitar, glad it's back home.

Out of curiosity, what are those "toaster" style humbuckers you pulled out?

Lobomov

Friend of Leo's
Unless they sound totally awful or aren't functioning perfectly, I'd personally would keep the mods for sentimental value.

My first fender has a olympic white strat, that I modded like crazy, cos it wouldn't scream. unfortunately it was stolen from me 20 years ago, but if I found it, I'd leave in the replacement pups and phase swithes and what not.

But either way, she is a beauty. Awesome mojo and I dig the joy of having her back! :)

hammo123

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys

Out of curiosity, what are those "toaster" style humbuckers you pulled out?
Those are Bill Lawrence L-500 pups ..
kinda fugly but they sound awesome still..they would be part of his original first production run
as i recall waiting patiently for 3 months for these to arrive in Oz from the USA back in the summer of 1979