1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying ash Telecasters as an investment?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Dec 24, 2020.

1. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’ve got a ‘56 P bass that is pretty hefty. Its most likely northern ash as well, the tight grain would point to that as well. Its very much “Louisville Slugger” looking.

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I could be totally wrong here, but I have a feeling that a guitar sitting in a case has less chance of being valued later than one that is played.

There's a mystique to the latter, think relicing for example.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

George Gruhn has been quoted as to his advice on buying for investment purposes. ????? Don’t! Buy it to play it!
    My 1966 ES345 should be worth more in real terms than I paid for it...by a fair bit, imho...and in my hopeful moments. But....with even that instrument, much of that currently perceived value could disappear.....just like stocks or anything else....except gold, platinum, silver. Those things have value as long as time unfolds.
    That said, every guitar and amp I have bought and sold in the last thirty years is worth considerably more than I paid for it....I wish I still had all of them! Hint: I have not bought a new instrument or amp in a long, long time.
    And....if someone walked in with a MIM Fender made out of ash and wanted $700 for it, I would thank them for the offer and let them know to come back if they change their mind because we are too far apart.

Phye, nicknklv, Henley and 2 others like this.
  4. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

True. If I buy 3 of them for about $1000 each (including tax/shipping), then sell for $1250 plus shipping. I’d make $750. Not that much but 25% interest is way more than the $3000 is earning in the PayPal reserve.

Henley likes this.
  5. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

What’s the CS?

6. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Oh ya custom shop. Duh.

Si G X likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Not a good investment, IMO. Play those things.

I, myself, am not a "tone wood" (eye roll) snob when it comes to electric guitars. I choose a wood based on looks and feel (i.e. weight), not species, as if there are some kind of tonal characteristics that can actually be controlled via wood selection. That's utter B.S. IMO and IME. I can get any guitar sounding exactly how I want it to sound, no matter what it's made of. I care about how it looks, and how it feels to have around my shoulder for several hours.

Fender-guy likes this.
  8. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I know the definition of investing. I was asking people about their opinion or knowledge on ash telecasters specifically. Thanks though. It’s ok if you don’t know.

9. Wally

10. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As a young man I could have bought a lot of 70s Fender guitars for under $500, here we are 40 years later these are in demand and worth maybe 3-4K. I don't think that is a great return after 40 years. There is not guarantee that anything made today will be in hot demand but they could be, I expect all of my "keeper" guitars to be worth about the same as they are now in 20 years. Buy Apple stock.

mugen74 likes this.
  11. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

By the way, there’s two on Reverb right now priced at $1049 new. I don’t see them ever selling for more than that. EVER. The Vintera line is already overpriced to start with. It’s just glorified MIM Player guitars, which for some reason Fender now thinks should cost $700 new. If I was going to pay $1049 for a guitar I’d cough up the extra few hundred and buy an American made one. At $700 to $1100, Player and Vintera just aren’t a good value anymore. As I said I’d either pay a few hundred more and get American or pay $400 and go Squier.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Did you pay MAP?

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Agree 100%. There is a beat up 1963 Fiesta Red L- Series Stratocaster in our city's boutique store going for $19,500.00 and I know how good that sounds because I played in a band with it's former owner. He and I played Sultans and other Dire Straits songs and it sounds like a rare vintage. But that is the price you pay in Oz for good stuff. Now that is really roadworn.

Guitars are not great investments unless vintage and in pristine condition.

14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You saw it as an investment. Someone else will too. Anybody that says it’s not doesn’t know how the resale market and PT Barnum work. To say it’s not an investment is just dumb. You may not make a grand on it but you could sell them right now at a profit so therefore...an investment.

Robert Graf and dscottyg like this.
  15. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Good points. Those on reverb were the ones I was thinking of getting. I figured in a year or so, no store will have them anymore. They’ll be selling the blue and green 50s Vinteras Modified and people who really want the butterscotch made of ash will pay more for it. Probably not though. They’ll either settle for a player or go for Performer.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  16. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

What is MAP?

17. Wally

When adjusted for inflation, $500 in 1975 equates to $2418.59 in today’s USD. So, yes, there is some realization of profit there if one bought then and kept the guitar in good condition. Personally, I would never give $3-4k for any 1970s Fender I have seen; but I do acknowledge the market. As I noted, a severe change 8; the market takes a toll on almost everything in that market. Only certain items in this guitar related market seem to be somewhat immune from the markets swings. As I noted, in October, 2008 the market adjustment erased 30-50% of the value of almost all vintage items in that market. In such a case, those 1970s Fenders would have actually lost value from their initial purchase price in real terms. The E’s-345 I bought new I; 1967 has a tag price of $566. Compared to what the market says it is worth today, it has increased in value over ten times. However, in today’s money, that guitar cost my skinny, poor, hard-working 16 year old self over $4400. You have to adjust for inflation if you are not buying and selling with gold as the standard.it probably cost the same today as then in gold. Paper money is...well...it is paper. It is only a representation of value and is easy to carry around even if it is hard to come by for most of us.
    Many here were not involved in the market in the years leading up to that 2008 crash. The market was such that for a number of years dealers were paying retail market price for vintage collectibles. Yes....dealers were paying retail market prices and marking up 15% or more. The market was rabid....and then it wasn’t...severely so. It took quite a while for the market to recover..partially...from that adjustment. Other than those pre-WWII top end Gibson and Martines, there was one other piece of the market that did not fall....certain Marshall amps held their value...did not lose anything.

18. Wally

it is the [email protected]’s ‘Minimum Advertised Price’. If a dealer advertises a price below that, their franchise is in jeopardy.

19. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

If you are looking for a new Mexican tele, you will maybe look for a blonde but I doubt there will be a lot of people that will say, I want a 50's Vintera modified Butterscotch tele but it absolutely has to be an ash body. They'll get a butterscotch blonde made out of whatever wood is available. Most people are not able to recognise ash from different similarily looking species of wood under a layer of paint or laquer.

As for investing in guitars: guitars are for playing on, not for investing. The good ones are build for the purpose of making music. The few examples of guitars that I have seen that are build for the purpose of collecting/investing like the playboy les paul. or the baseball team guitars are the most cheaply built p.o.s guitars that are over priced to start with and get bought by idiots that cannot recognise a decent guitar from a piece of **** and that think it is a good guitar because of the cost of it.

20. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I wish I had of stocked up on Hello Kitty Strats.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.