1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying and Selling on Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rider7, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

We're in a great CL market where we are, so I use that for most things I sell. I have bought and sold a bunch of things on Reverb without problem though. Definitely preferred to eBay.

rider7 likes this.
  2. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

I've used reverb alot for buying and selling, and though I've had very few issues found Reverb staff helpful on both the buyer and seller end when issues do arise. As a seller, I just can't get behind eBay's comparatively high listing fees which is in addition to the higher percentage of the final sale price. As a seller, I have to increase my price over what I would consider to be reasonable just to make sure I walk away with the minimum I'm willing to accept.

rider7 likes this.
  3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I actually buy most of my stuff on eBay and sell using Craigslist. I did sell a set of vintage pickups on Reverb. The transaction was pretty much flawless. I think it took 48 hours for the money to hit my bank account because I was a new seller, but the fees on Reverb for non-guitar stuff is much better than eBay. Plus, I think Reverb does a better job at protecting sellers. I would never sell something on eBay, way too much risk in my opinion. That said, I was still sweating bullets until I saw the money was transferred.

If you are selling on Reverb, I believe using Reverb Checkout allows you to be protected by Reverbs TOS. Otherwise you're at the mercy of whichever platform the buyer uses. Paypal has something like a 3 month window where you can file a complaint and get your money back. Reverb I think is 30 days, if I understood that correctly.

rider7 likes this.
  4. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

So far so good. I've purchased a few pedals and a guitar, and just this week sold a guitar on Reverb. This guitar sale went so smoothly that I'm going to list some of my other unused gear in the near future.

rider7 likes this.
  5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I've bought pedals and a guitar over Reverb with no issues whatsoever. The price is ultimately what you agree to pay so I wouldn't say they're any better or worse than CL or Ebay.

rider7 likes this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have a formula, like x % below asking/retail price that you base your offer on?

7. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I've had a really good experience with purchases from Reverb.

Maybe somebody here could help me though....I have quite a few items on my daily feed, but I'd like to block "Stratosphere" from my feed. I tried a while back, but gave up.

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have bought and sold on Reverb with no problems.

rider7 likes this.
  9. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nothing but positive experiences on Reverb, both as a buyer and seller.

rider7 likes this.
  10. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I look at Reverb and find local sellers and contact them to view the instrument. I just got my PRS guitar by contacting the ad, it was 4 miles away.
    It was priced down to 2200. I got it for 1600. Cash.

rider7 likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Reverb is fantastic. They charge a flat fee of 3.5% of the sale (that's less than ebay) and if you ever need to speak to someone you can call their office which is right across the street from the Chicago Music Exchange retail store. A human being answers the phone in 2 rings and say's "Good morning; how can I help you?"

Their smart phone app is really smooth. You can create really nice posts with a phone or pad.

Good folks. They're in here...….

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whenever I shop at CME I walk across the street, stare at the glass on the Reverb building and say "Thank you for the good work and thank you for challenging eBay".

eBay's office is inside of a Star Wars Death Star somewhere; they all wear helmets and capes.

rider7, grolan1, Wildcard_35 and 2 others like this.
  12. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Reverb is usually my #1 choice for buying. Great customer service if you have issues. But be wary of pricing on some items. There are a lot of used items that are priced above the new price, so check other resources before buying anything.

Also, always make offers on items if possible, the worst they can do is say no.

rider7, dented and viccortes285 like this.
  13. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I've sold a couple of things on Reverb and have bought several things. One of the items I have purchased was a fairly expensive Supro reissue amp. I'm happy with doing business with them.

rider7 and viccortes285 like this.
  14. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Over 100 buy/sell transactions on Reverb... had a few bumps in the road along the way but it was always worked out for the buyer/seller. Twice Reverb has gotten involved and they did a great job getting everything worked out perfectly.

rider7, viccortes285 and dotpc like this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I got burned very, very badly by an unscrupulous seller on my second transaction on Reverb. It taught me a lesson: These sites aren't stores, at least not most of the time; you're dealing - for the most part - with private individuals. So, go in with heavy cynicism and your eyes wide open. Message the seller before buying anything and gauge his response. And, always make an offer -- Most sellers will come down a bit from their asking price.

BUT, if you think you lowballed and the offer was accepted anyway, be wary -- That's how I got burned. I was trying to open a negotiation, but the seller took my offer, which I thought was too low. When I got the item, I found out why -- The seller had ripped me off badly.

So, caveat emptor x 1,000 and you'll be fine most of the time. But, people suck, so expect to get taken for a ride every now and then and hope it's not on a big purchase.

That's been my experience, anyway.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've bought and sold some on Reverb. I like it better than Ebay. Fewer "problem sellers" or buyers is my impression. Ebay is a real turkey shoot anymore. I sold a couple speakers that were over 60 years old on Ebay a couple months ago. Sold them super cheap. Last week I got a complaint from the buyer that one had white debris on the cone. It did, and I mistakenly didn't show it in the auction. Like milk or thin paint, a few dots. But the speaker was fine, just like the other one.
    I was just about to refund and tell him to just keep the speakers, because that's who I am. But he got pretty harsh in our communication, once that came out, I told him "go ahead and leave a negative review, I dont care. I have 1080 100% positive reviews."

Still, there are people out there that work every angle.

rider7 and viccortes285 like this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can sort by price.

viccortes285 and 6BQ5 like this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In my experience, Reverb has a LOT less tolerance for this stuff. Plus, they know gear, so they can usually spot a BS claim. I really wouldn't want to try to explain a specific guitar-related issue to someone in an eBay call center.

fabricator, rider7, grolan1 and 2 others like this.
  19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

No. I just do my research on the item and see what it costs across the country. The two I bought were not common items. One I offered 60.00 less based on what I had seen in the recent past. The other 40.00 less based on what I had seen in the recent past. The sellers didn't even counter and sold them to me. Know your stuff. Although one did charge me 55.00 to ship which I thought was high but it was a wash since there was only three for sale in the country at the time. I was happy.

20. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Holic

Here's the fretboard journal podcast from a few weeks ago where Jason interviews one of the reverb leaders. It's a pretty good listen (about an hour long).

One of the things he says though is that people tend to price things high expecting to get reasonable offers.

rider7 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.