Buying and Selling on Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rider7, Aug 16, 2018.

1. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

What are some of your experience buying and selling on Reverb. I mostly buy online from Sweetwater, or Wildwood. And I mostly sell using craiglist. Haven't bought or sold anything through Reverb. What are your take on using Reverb.

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

People tend to overvalue used items on reverb IME. I always find the better deal on ebay or CL. That said I've done many transactions on reverb without a problem. Just do your due diligence on what you're actually purchasing and you'll be fine.

3. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I've bought and sold on Reverb. No bad experiences so far, other than one guy who "bought" a guitar I was selling, waited a few days, then cancelled the order. Wouldn't surprise me if you got a slightly better deal on new gear from Sweetwater, but Reverb beats the daylights out of Music Go Round for both buying and selling used gear.

rider7 likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've purchased two guitars on Reverb. One from a music store in Tennessee and one from a private seller. I made reasonable offers below their asking prices and both accepted. Items were completely as advertised.

rider7 and boredguy6060 like this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've sold a few items on Reverb w no issues, bought a few things, though as has been mentioned, a LOT of sellers on Reverb seem to think their items are worth a lot more than market value. There are bargains to be found sometimes if you search hard enough.
    Honestly I've had a lot more and faster results selling on eBay despite all of the "horror" stories.

I will say that Reverb is very good about working with a buyer if there is an issue, a friend of mine got a Telecaster that was described as being in mint condition, when it came it there was major belt buckle rash, and other problems, they made the seller do a complete refund including return shipping.

rider7 and dotpc like this.
  6. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

I've bought 11 items from stores and individuals on Reverb.

As mentioned, do your due diligence on the item and the seller.
    I've not had any problems.
    Even bought from as far away as Japan.

rider7 and soulgeezer like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Bought on Reverb, all went ok.

I knew what I was getting into here ... Steamed a PRS.

[​IMG]

rider7, Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

CL here is nearly worthless. I’ve bought a guitar and amp on Reverb, they were close enough to ‘as described’. Do your homework and don’t be afraid to ask questions and make reasonable offers. If you don’t want to do those things no web buying route is good other than big retailers.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sold a Les Paul on Reverb a couple of months ago.
    All went well.

rider7 likes this.
  10. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

bought a few things on Reverb. all went well

rider7 likes this.
  11. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I closed my reverb account after several sellers didn't ship at all
    Reverb was useless in getting my money back

PhatBoy likes this.
  12. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I’ve sold nearly $6k worth of gear on Reverb in the past year with zero problems. I’ve bought a few things as well, and all went smoothly.

rider7 and viccortes285 like this.
  13. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like Reverb because I am buying from a musician. I think they understand what their item is worth and can price accordingly or aren't offended by realistic offers. eBay and Craigslist can have people selling someone else's gear to pay back a debt, or think a guitar is worth a lot because it is "old," or are obviously scams.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reverb is a good deal platform. Easy to list, easy to transact, and especially nice to communicate directly with seller / buyer. Fees are reasonable.

I choose not to use CL - too many oddballs and scammers for my taste. I do all my selling on Reverb and The Gear Page classifieds.

I do my buying wherever the price and selection are. Used on Reverb, TGP, and occasionally GC, and occasionally some unauthorized dealers specializing in higher end stuff.

When I buy new, from a dealer, there's always a special case. In fact, I've never once just called up a dealer and placed an order for a guitar with the standard 15% off MAP. I decide what I want, and then wait for a situation where I can get it for at least 35% off. New dealers looking to take market share. Old dealers losing a dealership and blowing out the stock. Dealers blowing out recently discontinued stuff. etc. There are a lot of reasons, and these deals come available all the time if you look for them.

rider7, SoulstormTX and viccortes285 like this.
  15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen their listings on eBay- seem reasonably pricedto me.
    DO NOT go to Gumtree here in Oz as everybody thinks they should only pay $5 for a 59 Les Paul.

gee. and rider7 like this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Gbase was cool a few years ago, since it was only dealers and
    you could email them a price.

17. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Never bought but have sold on reverb..never an issue

rider7 likes this.
  18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've bought a few things on Reverb and went OK. The last two I lowballed with an offer 10% to 20% lower than asking price and they accepted. Got a real nice G&L S-500 Tribute this way. Haven't sold anything yet.

rider7 likes this.
  19. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I love Reverb. I only buy and I’ve had great service from the 50 odd sellers I’ve dealt with. I have gotten great deals there.

rider7 likes this.
  20. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've used Reverb for a dozen or more transactions in fairly high dollar amounts and never had a problem. I had one returned for what amounted to buyer's remorse, and even that went smoothly. They do a great job of facilitating communication and guaranteeing transactions that might look a little sketchy to the average user. Once they say go, you can proceed with confidence
    My only kick with Reverb is that many of the listings are dealers advertising the same things they have on their sales floor. Try looking for some common thing like an American Elite Telecaster and you'll find 20 listings--all at the regular street price. You really have to look to find a deal. Also hate the fees, but that's part of doing business, I suppose.

rider7 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.