Buying a used Apogee Duet?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by dburns, Sep 1, 2018.

1. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Looking to get back into home recording and need an interface. Was thinking of going with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 but just came across an Apogee Duet on Craigslist for a great price. It's advertised as 'like new' condition and the pictures seem to validate that. All the original packaging, etc. So, if everything checks out and it is barely used, what are the cons to buying a secondhand interface?

For the record, it looks to be a newer model (for iPad and Mac) and I'm going to be running Ableton Live 10 on an iMac.

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you actually have a way to test it on the spot that would be best.

The real "con" is the Craigslist sale, IMO. Used electronics are always a bit more gamble than a guitar, say, so I tend to look on eBay for reliable sellers that accept a best offer and keep casting because at least there's some recourse if it turns out to not as advertised. I even check GC's used listings because of their 45 day return, though their prices are only sane (IMO) on things that aren't popular. (If that iMac has a FireWire port you can get an older Duet for about $120!)

I know those Apogee's are well loved by the folks that buy them, but that mess of dongles really doesn't work for me.

dburns likes this.
  3. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Thanks bud. Yea, this would be my first time buying something computer based/digital on CL. I have bought (sold and traded) many guitars, pedals, amps with only great results but this would be my first time buying something like this.

No Firewire on this Mac..and this one is priced a little lower than the used ones on GC.

4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Test it, if it works awesome - I quite like the sound of my ONE and if I didn’t already a collection of other interfaces would consider using the duo.

5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Turns out the guy is located just minutes away from me and is totally fine with me coming by to see that the unit is as advertised and works. Going to look at it later today.

6. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Done deal. $260 for a fully functional like new Apogee Duet.
    1535901584281.jpg

7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Congrats! Let us know how you like it once you have spent a little time with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.