Buying a new (used) Rivera - input?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Endless Mike, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Looking at buying a Chubster 55. I've also been looking at the Chubster 40 (hoping the 55 will have a little more headroom.

There's also a Suprema 55, and a fifty-five twelve. i currently have a Fandango 100 2x12 and need something lighter. I can handle the Fandango, but don't want to, as well, sometimes it's hard to find room for it small stages.

The confusing thing about Rivera amps, is that it seems that there isn't any real difference in the clean channel on most of these amps, with the exception of the Venus. This of course excludes the acoustic amps.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone here knows more about these amps and can maybe tell me something that can clarify the differences on some of these amps in order to make an informed purchase. Yes, I've done a fair bit of reading on line.

Also, if there are any Chubster users, I'd love to hear from them.

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

I've been eyeing a Fandango 55 1x12 that's listed on my local trading post. Seems like a great amp and surprisingly cheap.

Wud you recommend it?

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I had a Clubster Doce 25 (1x12, 25w) and it was great. I totally regret selling it, probably more than any other piece of gear I ever sold. The cleans equaled a Princeton Reverb, in a louder, more substantial, and less expensive package. It exceeds the Princeton Reverb in every way, IMO, and I bought it used for $450. I did not like the gain channel, which is why I sold it. It was too fizzy. I was too stupid at the time to accept that I didn't need to use the gain channel. Later bought a 65PRRI, for much more money, which itself is great, but half the amp of the Rivera. I would buy the Rivera again in a heartbeat if I ever have the chance.

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. Endless Mike

Yes, I would strenuously recommend it. I really like my Fandango.

5. Endless Mike

I bought my Fandango for a similarly absurd price (750.00) because the amp handle was destroyed. Easy enough to replace. I've owned and played a few other Rivera amps. I think they are fantastic.

6. Endless Mike

Well, I bought a Chubster 55 from GC. It's not exactly clean, that is, it shows *definite* use. Looks a bit road worn. But for 760.00 shipped, I can live with it. At least I don't need to worry about the disappointment that comes with the first tear in the leather or scratch/ding on the front panel, etc.

I found several Chubster 40's for around the same money, and while in excellent condition, I'm concerned about headroom, so I'm willing to take an amp that isn't clean for the sake of some extra headroom. I'm hoping I can clean it up a bit. The handle will definitely need to be replaced.

Rivera 1.jpg Rivera 2.jpg Rivera 3.jpg

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Would like to hear your impressions - They seem like a very good design.

8. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Seems like Rivera amps go largely overlooked these days. I am a long time Clubster devotee, one piece of gear I will never sell. I have nothing specific to add about Chubsters, just glad people are talking about Rivera amps!!!:)

Endless Mike likes this.
  9. Endless Mike

If it's anything like my Fandango or the M series amps I owned, it will be glowing. They are a great design and built like tanks.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

I've used a Rivera Clubster 45 1x12 for over 10 years and it's always had plenty headroom and I play in a 6 piece band,so it might be worth trying one out.

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've only heard good things about Rivera amps, congrats.

12. Endless Mike

Well, the 55 is on its way, so it doesn't make sense to return it for a Clubster. But if there are any problems with the amp, I'll keep that in mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.