Buying a new RAT pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by heshan, Aug 16, 2014.

1. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Why would you even think about modding a pedal before trying the stock version first?

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

^What he said. I see numerous Rat 2 is fine, and Biyang clones are fine. Only one call for a boo-teek pedal that I see.

3. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Ah I assumed the Biyang is a boutique one too. Not familiar with that brand :D And some of the posts that say the stock RAT sounds fine but adds that something else would sound a bit better, or a bit warmer and fatter, and...ah, I'm not sure :D

As for why I'm modding without trying the stock one first, I'm living pretty far away from where these things are available. so I want to pay just one-way shipping if possible! Far from ideal, I know...but it'd cost me more than the pedal itself, for shipping to and from the US again

I'm yet to make up my mind. I think the perfect mod for me would be something simple, with just the op amp and caps etc. being replaced, and no 3-way switch etc. Let me try to find someone who'd do that for cheap, and then that would probably be my final decision. Or the stock RAT 2 it is!

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The stock GFS Brownie/Biyang Mouse with the 11 Gauge mod (found here @ TDPRI, one resistor) is about as cheap as it's going to get.

5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Sorry it's not embedded, I'm mobile right now:

A Biyang variant.

6. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

my rat 2 was just exterminated by the ibanez fat cat that came in the mail a few weeks ago. VERY smooth compared to the rat 2.

7. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks BelairPlayer. It's embedded actually - and that sounds good! Didn't realize it was so cheap. Definitely a consideration now :)

8. xmugmugmugx

xmugmugmugx Tele-Meister

I have a modern rat 2. I love it. 11gauge has a great post that demystifies the lm308 chip.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

10. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the input, guys. I have quite a few options now :)

Btw, how much will I be looking at, for a Whiteface Reissue? Thinking of increasing my budget for something that'll be really good - but I can't go too high, of course

I guess it's impossible to buy one new - all the used ones I've seen (only one on ebay that ships internationally) are $200+, and with shipping, I'm looking at 250-300 - way above my budget

Is it possible to find one, in mint condition, for cheaper?

11. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Not wanting to be a bother, but I'd be interested in that post.
    Would you happen to have a link?

Because I seem to remember 11 Gauge stating on the odd occasion that while usually chips don't matter that much, in the case of the Rat (and the Zendrive for that matter) the right chip does matter in combination with each of these circuits.

Again, no offence meant.

12. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

So JHS replied my mail, agreeing to mod a RAT 2 without adding the toggle switch and any extra complexities that I don't want. They replace the op amp with one that they say sounds like the LM308 but with less noise - and also replace the caps (with modified values) etc.

What do you think about their mod, if you have heard it? Here's a demo

Listen to the demo with the toggle set to the right (before 2:00) - I think that's the stock circuit active.

How's JHS stuff (and their mods) in general? I don't know much about them
    Anyway, this is another option for me!

13. BurritoBreath

BurritoBreath TDPRI Member

I've got the Mooer Black Secret and it's really fantastic. Also have the cheaper ENO Myomorpha and it's almost as good, but lacks a little something compared to the Mooer.

14. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

just a suggestion, i highly recommend checking out the ibanez fat cat heshan. it was their answer to the rat back in the 80's and much cheaper to be had than a vintage rat or reissue. i've had the fat cat for a few weeks now and just gave the rat 2 to a friend. i won't be needing it anymore.

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

The Moore was a sweet surprise.. Never expected those those pedals to be well received.. Also like the metal blade..

Not sure why I haven't seen a recommendation for the GFS pedal yet..

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

17. xmugmugmugx

xmugmugmugx Tele-Meister

Can't find the link, but I remember he talked a lot about slew rate of the op7 being comparable with the lm308. I'll keep looking and post when I find it.

18. xmugmugmugx

xmugmugmugx Tele-Meister

19. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I recently bought a Mooer Black Secret on EBay for about $60 shipped (list is $88). I've been very happy with it. I also have a GFS Brownie, with the resistor replaced, and it sounds great as well (for around $55-$60 also).

You really can't go wrong with any of the pedals listed in the previous posts.

20. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Oops...
    Should've read $88, not $8 (with a smiley face).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.