Buying a floor/demonstrator Blues Jr. IV from local music store?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pirana, Mar 4, 2019.

1. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I called a local music store to see if they had a Fender Blues Jr. in tweed new in the box & un played. The guy told me they only had one on the floor but he said it hadn't been played much, which of course that could be true or not. My question is, should I only buy an un played one or how much of a discount could I reasonably expect to ask for. They're listed for the same price as the online retailers like Sweetwater etc. & I know I could just order one online but I like supporting local mom & pop stores & this place has been around a long time & has a decent reputation. Plus, I'd like to establish a relationship with them. Does anyone care to offer an opinion/advice? Thanks

bcorig likes this.
  2. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I think a store model that has been played, as long as it's not beat up, is a good deal because the speaker is already getting broken in. Is it around $550-$600. Then get it. See if you can get an extra $50 or so off.

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I'd break into the store late at night and get it for free!

(Please note: I do not condone breaking into any store late at night in the misguided attempt to get a Fender Blues Jr IV for free)...

`

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

If you like supporting mom and pops, just pay them the regular price, since it is the same as online. Any discount you seek from mom and pop comes out of their profit on the sale.

That is--if the amp is clean and in good shape. Basically, the speaker is broken in a bit for you. Good thing, really. It will still have a warranty equal to a boxed one.

5. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

You're gonna have to play a lot of good riffs to completely clean out all the bad ones.

As long as it's in near perfect condition and still has the normal warranty, I might ask them for a cable and a set of strings thrown in on the regular price.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I bought my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 off the floor from an authorized dealer in Maryland. The new model with the sliders had just come out. I paid $800, box, cover, foot switch, manual candy, and all, with a 20% store credit that I used next trip down for a tweed case, a new cable, and a few small bits. The amp has been performing flawlessly in nearly daily use for more than five years. I can't imagine I could have done better. And I didn't have to break in the speaker. If Blues Jr. is the amp for you, negotiate hard and buy it.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Most of the guitars and amps I've had have been floor models. Only ever looked for a discount if there was damage. Until the internet mail order thing took off, most stores in the UK only had one of everything.

If I remember, I ask if they'll throw in a fresh cable or set of strings. I'm normally too in a hurry to take whatever home and plug it in!

kookaburra likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I buy customer returns or used, demo most of the time. I'd probably look at how long that amp has sat on the floor for and guesstimate how many hours it had been used. If its immaculate maybe subtract the price of a set of new tubes from a lowish new priced equivalent amp.

15% off a new one in box and a set of tubes?

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Yeah, some of the import tubes fail early, but I wouldn’t think it would need tubes just because it had been played, occasionally.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would just want to be covered seeing as there is no real way to know how many hours were put on it, hot cold, hot cold etc and for the cheap factory tubes.
    It could have been turned on and off up to 20? times a day or more on some occasions?
    Most people are pretty uncaring with amps when it's just used to demo an amp model, Test a guitar etc.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

See if you can get a discount. If they will knock off the price of a set of tubes you are good and the speaker is already broken in.
    And then if a tube dies you have the cash to buy a new better set.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

How much ?

I’m completely stunned those MDF lumps are $600 new.

If you spend your life only buying used , civilian prices are a bit of a shocker .

$400 tops.

Walk in with it all in 20’s or better yet 10’s , slap it on the counter and say “This is all I got - take it or leave it !”

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

You could spend $50 more and get wood. But all the new BJr IV's sound pretty nice.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I can't believe that we've come to particle board cabs & such either. I've owned a couple of amps made by David Allen which I think are pretty reasonably priced for a boutique amp & sound great. I regret like hell letting them go but I really can't even afford one of these $600 lumps either with a daughter in college etc. But since I'm just a bedroom player & the amp wouldn't be subjected to being lugged around the only abuse it would see would be on the tubes so it might last a while & at least sound a little better than the solid state piece of crap that I have now. I highly doubt however, that they would accept $200 off the price. Seems like I'm the only person dumb enough to accept those kinds of offers. These days, if you can even still find a quality product you almost have to be willing to sell your mother to acquire it unless you're wealthy, which I'm far from being.

15. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

Musicians Friend has a 25% off coupon today. That's pretty big. If you call them, they might apply it to the B jr. You can't get it online, but a phone call for 25% off might be worth it.

16. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

BTW, if they will do the 25%, take a look at the BJr Humboldt Hot Rod. All wood cab, and Cannabis Rex speaker for just a little more.

17. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

The only weirdness I would anticipate is the reverb tank going bad. But if its under warranty...no biggie.

My tank died about a year in. Already had a ton of mods done so warranty wasn't an option. Luckily Tanks are cheap.

18. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

For some reason I wasn't even aware of this version. I was thinking about the one in surf green with the Jensen speaker. Chicago Music Exchange has it for $607 but I remember reading somewhere the cabinet is made with MDF but other Blues Jr.'s cabs are made with pine. I'm confused.

19. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I have the Humboldt and it is a really nice amp. It changed my mind about Blues Jr's.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Ask for a discount, after all it is a used amp even if it's only been used in the shop as a demo. Make sure that you can still get the manufacturers warranty.

rangercaster and OldGuy6873 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.