1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buying a collector’s grade guitar—to play

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Luthier Vandros, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

Your guitar, you do what you want with it.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Only reason I buy Guitars is to PLAY them.
    Re-sale value is Never part of my Equation.

I have never counted exactly how many shows I have played but, I am sure the number went over 1,000 many years ago.

My Equation has always been Tempered by my ability to pay it off with the Shows I have on the Horizon.
    That goes for my PA, Lights and, recording gear too.

That Eppi is a Beautiful Guitar. If it really is from the 60's, I'm sure it plays and sounds as nice as it looks.
    Take good care of it.

-ST

3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My avatar is that collectable Pre War Martin D18. I've had it for 47 years and paid 425 for it way back when. I'm cognizant of the value, and therefore am a bit picky where I bring it out in public. If a place is sketchy, it doesn't come with. That said, most of the places I play these days are pretty sedate and secure, so the old guy gets seen from time to time.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Go to 5:10 in the video to see Yngwie Malmsteen's hand-built 1954 Stratocaster, laying in a pile of guitars on a couch....

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

you are talking about buying a Japanese vintage reissue form the 90s that's in great conditional to play right?

go for it...

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a collector-grade Tele, the one in my avatar.

I use it a lot for recording, and will take it out to gigs under the right conditions (no dive bars). It's the most valuable guitar I own, so it gets treated a little differently from the rest of my stuff but it still gets played.

- D

Luthier Vandros and Torren61 like this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'd play that all day long. Just be careful with it and don't dog it. Guitars are meant to be played, not looked at.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a mint 68 Country Gentleman that I eventually sold because I wasn't playing it. If there was something available that I would actually play then I would have no issue taking it out. Thankfully I am not really into vintage stuff, I appreciate it but have no real desire to own it.

9. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Afflicted

This one’s an ‘83. The 90’s ones seem nice, as well. Might have found a cheaper option moving up a decade.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The 90s mij Strat's are ok.. I'd take an AVRI over one of those any day. I don't know much about early 80s MIJ squire's. I have a MID/Late 80s E-E series MIJ Strat that's ok too, but again, if I wanted a vintage style Strat I'd get an AVRI or whatever any day.

In any case if you want one, and you can afford it, get it and play it. Same as if you really want a real '63 Strat and you can afford it, get one and play it whether it's in collectable condition or not. Don't assume that just because it's old and still virtually unplayed that it's a dog or whatever. Get it set it up and play it, it's not like you are going to destroy it by playing it a little bit. You'll know if you like it or not soon enough.

I think that they made some sweet guitars in Japan in the early 80s. I just got a 81 Greco Les Paul Burst. It's a sweet guitar. If I was looking for a MIJ 80s Strat, I might consider a Tokai instead of a Squire too.

Good luck and have fun.

11. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

DO IT!

Show those collectors who's boss.

12. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Afflicted

^Id post pics of the guitar getting “Sayced” up lol.

The Japanese were miles ahead of fender in the late seventies. They are credited for giving fender a reason to rethink quality and reissues. Those early 80’s JV guitars are special bc due to the detail and craftsmanship. The JV Squire line was really good, but not in the same league as the FJ guitars.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice one brookdalebill. I had one from age 17 to age 32. I just about cried when I had to sell it for a water heater when times were tough here in OZ- a recession.
    A real Epiphone has the E in the pickguard NOT embossed like these modern copies. Sloped shoulders make 'em sound better than a martin IMHO.
    There's a guitar dealer, friend of Joe Bonamassa, here in Adelaide who paid $55,000 AUD for a Mint pre-war Martin and I don't think it sounds as good as that price would demand.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but - 1983? That's an old guitar but it's not going to fund your retirement as a "collector's piece". I guess I don't consider anything a collector's guitar that was made after the 60s. I have a 1969 amp that is begging to be gigged. Nothing too precious about anything made in 1983. Play it if it's great and worth the money, don't if it's not.

15. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Thoughts...

As guitars become less and less popular in pop music prices will plateau.

As guys born in the 60s + 70s get past their buying years (I'm almost there!) guitar prices will slide.

The day of "retirement" guitars may be passing already.

So buy what you like and play it like crazy.

Flakey and Luthier Vandros like this.
  16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I had three old guitars, an 81 ish Les Paul Custom I bought new in high school, a 78 Tele and a 1966 ES-330. Only the 330 would be considered a collector guitar and it was beat from being a working man's guitar since new.
    My take? Play the crap out of um and enjoy them, if your place burns down they burn anyway. No point in owning something if you're not going to use it.

17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I dislike the collector mentality intensely. Musical instruments that are not played cease to be musical -- they become objects. Honestly, vewry, very few of them, even the beautiful, etc. ones, need to be preserved as some kind of objects of reverence. If Strads get played, anything should be considered playable. I think there's something wrong and sad about setting up a jail for guitars. I don't understand it and don't want to understand it. I have an 80 year old vintage Gibson acoustic. I play it everywhere. I have a $10K handmade electric, and I play that everywhere. That's what both were made for.

Flakey, Luthier Vandros and Fuelish like this.
  18. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Go for it @Luthier Vandros. You sound excited. I know I was excited each time when I went a little crazy this year and purchased three electric guitars and two acoustic guitars and two amps and I don't regret any decision at all, I'm glad as heck I did.

And, it sounds like a guitar that you appear to be quite fond of, and, you'd be playing it, and, you're not just doing it because it's a collectable. Absolutely, I know I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially if I was super crazy about the guitar, no doubt about it.

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m glad to see you got another one

I know you’ve mentioned it before (maybe even with an accompanying photo) hope it plays like the one you remember

20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

In my world, there is no such thing as a guitar too sacred to be played. They’re guitars. You’re supposed to play them!

If you like the guitar, buy it and play it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.