1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer's Remorse: Dealing with a unsatisfactory MJT build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by [J.K.], Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

So? good/bad service is always worth discussing ...

2. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

Ugh man, that sucks. Sorry you have to deal with that. Hope it gets resolved.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Hey @[J.K.] - Since this was originally posted in July of 2017, surely it's been resolved by now. What happened?

DrASATele likes this.
  4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

MJT is a 2 man operation ? from what i have seen of these guys they are churning out a lot of stuff ebay /website etc.. so the law of averages and maybe a touch of complacency will creep in.. 1 bad apple can be bad for business even a old thread can rear its ugly head
    hope the original poster got that issue sorted cos that is one fugly job

5. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Jeez, I didn't even notice this thread got resurrected. It was better off dead.

Ultimately, I got a plate from Japan on eBay that seemed to fit, so that solved that problem, though. MJT sent me a bottle of paint to DIY refinish it, but it didn't quite match, so I just gave up on that approach. The lady I was in touch with at MJT kind of gave off a vibe like "what's the bare minimum we can do to make this go away." I'm not about to claim that it's emblematic of their overall approach, and it could just be a fluke (I got a body from them once before and had a good experience). Point is, I'm not really interested in arguing against them or defending them. It was a weird experience and I'm over it now.

Fortunately for me, a buddy of mine put me in touch with a tech at Collings who stripped the paint it and refinished it. The dude did an amazing job. He even put a grain filler in to bring out the texture of the wood under the finish.

I posted this pic somewhere else in the forum. Not the best lighting, but you get the idea. It's a really fun guitar to play live because of how comfortable it is. I was a bit nervous about the Area T pickup not sounding properly Tele-ish, but it's spot-on and it's really quiet.
    Seven.JPG

Gevalt and theprofessor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.