1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'll blame snowflake mentality and the current "seller beware" axiom popular among online auction sites these days.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

In a word, no. At this point, it’s his amplifier. Be careful of offering to pay for repairs...he could open a case and try to use it as an admission of guilt.

PCollen likes this.
  3. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

That guy that you sold that car to just after high school called. It needs new tires. He says you should have to pay for them. The state’s “Lemon Law” people are backing him up on it.

4. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Their marketplace fails without buyer confidence. Reverb has been OK about protecting private sellers in the past, but if Etsy have not actively courted distributors in the past couple years they certainly haven't discouraged them. See: ProAudioStar, Pitbull Audio, et al. Even Elderly and Kurt from Rondo are there now, notable old independents to my mind. The platform is highly visible and probably no riskier for them than selling direct with their own card processor. I'd expect buyer protection to take priority, and if seller Drew from Peabody is skittish about eating a couple hundred bucks once in a while, it may be counterproductive for them to really assuage his concern. So long as they keep making b-stock Sterlings and D'Angelicos, product will remain available with or without my participation.

I kinda can't believe there's so much indignant opinion here. I'm sympathetic and agree with a lot of it, but some outcomes aren't going to be determined by our will. If and when it comes to it, the payment processor's terms, or Reverb's terms, will prevail. Those of us who participate signed up for that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

^Wish i could like that post more than once. Really well said.

Drew617 and MilwMark like this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lots of indignant spouting and speculation - but as @Drew617 notes - payment processor holds the cards.

And if you aren’t willing to get burned once in awhile, as several have noted, sell to a store instead of trying to be the store.

In addition to many other structural factors, stores pay less for gear, and charge more for gear than you want, because of the ongoing “getting burned” factor.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Askwhy and Drew617 like this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I'll never use Reverb. I bought a guitar from a shop in Italy that needed shipping to the UK- it never arrived. I used a credit card, but in the UK Reverb will only allow Paypal payments, so I used the card via PP. I duly made a claim on the card, but it turned out I had no protection as I'd made a deal with Paypal, not the vendor. Reverb didn't want to know, the seller didn't want to know, Paypal didn't want to help, it took 3 months to get a refund.
    The day after I got the refund the guitar was up for sale again on Reverb.

8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Personally, I have had a couple episodes in my past where I contacted my state's Attorney General's office for help and/or intervention. Often they can help in matters like this. Kinda depends on how busy they are. If nothing else, it brings their attention to the practices of certain online marketplaces by way of a formal complaint.

Drew617 and Torren61 like this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Snitches get stitches.

Drew617 likes this.
  10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

:lol:

Torren61 likes this.
  11. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

This. This is exactly what I’ve taken to doing. I can drive to GC in an hour or less. Present my gear and walk out with CASH in hand. That’s worth more to me than a few dollars extra I may make selling online. If I’m selling something it’s because I don’t want it anymore. Not because I need to sell it or make money. I want ease of transaction. No hassle. No returns. No remorse.

I do sell pedals on Reverb I try out and don’t like because they are small and easy to ship. I’ve had one guy try to say a pedal was messed up. It was fine when it left my house and he wasn’t being a jerk about it. I just think he didn’t understand the pedal. We worked it out. If I have something bigger than a pedal I don’t want, it goes to GC. Just way easier for me.

But like I said before, in response to the OP, no. You owe this guy nothing. It’s been two months.

Capgun

1 person likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I personally know a fellow who has returned more guitars than I've owned and that's a bunch. There is really some kind of disease of the mind with some folks when it comes to guitars and amps. They can never just be done. They are constantly looking for something better. As soon as they buy something they forget that they wanted the amp, or guitar, then set about picking it apart. Soon, they have that glazed over look on their face, I'VE BEEN HAD they shout! Someone is going to have to fix this! All the while forgetting that they were the one who made the purchase. I'm afraid that just seems to be human nature.

capgun and Askwhy like this.
  13. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I have the disease, lol, but I don't expect others to pay the price for it by my abusing returns.

Drew617 and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

If I purchased a used amp and two months later it started having issues, I wouldn't contact the person I bought it from. If the amp had an issue when you sold it, the buyer would have known on day 1. It's really just that simple. You win some, you lose some.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I recognize it because I used to have it. People do it with cars, boats, golf clubs, you name it. Sometimes even their spouses. I've put that all behind me now, I haven't bought a guitar in almost eight years. It's like the lure of that den with the smoke coming out of it though, the only way for me to stay clean, is just not go where guitars and amps hang out. :):)

16. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Actually just pedals for me (big time) and amps a little bit, i have had the same guitar for years and never feel any need to get anything else although i always like to play other guitars when the chance arises.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I understand completely, eh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.