1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

They actually processed a claim that old?
    I probably missed it in the 7 pages above but :
    What are their terms?
    What did your sale say about returns?

I'd tell them to pound sand. really.

2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was once on the reverse side of this. A couple years ago I bought a used guitar on Reverb. It arrived the day before I was leaving for vacation, and for a variety of reasons I regrettably let almost a month go by before I even opened the box. Stupid. Because guess what - it sustained some small damage during shipping. I decided there was nothing I could do, it was my own fault for not checking right away. After than much time I could not go back and complain to the seller. How could he know I didn't drop it down the stairs or something? I had it a month by that time. So, lesson learned, my fault, my responsibility.

PCollen, electrichead and Torren61 like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, then the “Canadian in you” opened the door for a conversation that should never have taken place. (;^). just as he was bound by the stipulations, so should you have not stepped outside of those stipulations...imho.
    He bought it and did not avail himself of the stipulations the sale. If he wanted a warranty, he should have bought a new amp. If he wanted a used amp with a 45 day return policy he should have bought it with those stipulations....from a large concern who would have no compunctions about selling to unsuspecting buyers until they find one who doesn’t want to return it. How long does he expect you to be responsible for the function of this amp??? Months...years...a lifetime?
    He had his two days....he accepted the deal. He is also getting screwed by his local techs....and that probably bothers him as much as or more than the amp’s performance...if indeed the amp has a problem????.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I would, as politely as possible, tell him to f*** off.

SnidelyWhiplash, PCollen and Torren61 like this.
  5. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

thats all good and well, but anything over 7 days is ridiculous. In fact, that’s plenty of time for the buyer to receive the perfect item, **** it up, and return it... So it is still unfair to the seller.

2 months later? GTFO. That is approaching a warranty on used crap!

Without sellers, reverb can have all the buyers they could ever want checking every hour and they would still drown in their own stupidity. Reverb relies on sellers more so than buyers- buyers are always easy to get. See how many people get duped on eBay with “$15 telecasters” years after the fraud scheme was revealed. Reverb ate their lunch because people opted not to sell there.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  6. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Two months is ridiculous. I would never have paid for the repair and written one email to say that he'd had the amp long enough to do serious damage to it himself, then stopped all correspondence. If Reverb are playing funny buggers I'd cancel my subs/contract with them and stop all credit cards and paypal and instruct my bank not to pay out.... or whatever ..and get out. Refund my ar*e. These people really get on my t*ts !!

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Couldn't be more wrong.

Drew617, Henley and MilwMark like this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Canadians are TOO polite...

Torren61 likes this.
  9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

....maybe because there was no problem found, in both cases. It would be interesting to ask the buyer to provide the names and business addresses and phone numbers of the two "techs".

VintageSG and Askwhy like this.
  10. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Send some balls to him.
    Used is used.

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I struggled like hell to track a Peavey Butcher issue at volume. Finally chopsticked everything, and there was a big cinderblock resistor that the leg had cracked--inside the hole (via) where it was soldered. High volume, heat and vibration would cause intermittent strange issues.

Super simple fix, once found (which they almost always are).

12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I’d respond, “No...this is well beyond my return policy that you tacitly agreed to with the purchase. After two months, that is now your problem”.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the crux right here.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. B&M shops add real value. And doing so costs some money. Well worth it to me.

I bought a TC Plethora from my local shop recently. Paid full retail. They’re a small shop. It’s brilliant kit. Well worth full retail.

The far right foot switch started acting up a week after I bought it. Called him up:

- OK, when’s your next rehearsal.
    - Tonite but it’s no biggie. I can use my old pedalboard.
    - No way. We have one more in stock. Swing by, I’ll swap you and we’ll just deal with the the return/repair on the other one with TC.

Contrast that with the guitar I bought on Reverb from a shop.
    - Told me the weight was 6 lb 1 oz. Very low for a solid body. So low I even double-checked. They assured me it was correct.
    - Guitar arrived. Sat for 24h due to cold. Opened her up - 7 lb 11 oz! Yes, I care about guitar weight. I could tell it was about that heavy but ran it to my local - same weight on their scale.
    - online shop had full return policy. - - -
    - Messaged them and they immediately became rude. Hinted I swapped guitars and bridge plates!
    - Long story short they kept ignoring me and passing it off to a “Reverb” issue. Took more than a month and lots of chasing, hassle and stress to get my money back. To remedy their error.

There are valid reasons online sales have lots of buyer protection buying things site unseen.

Some buyers will abuse. You want to the extra return of a private sale? Welcome the extra burden shops bear.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Dave W, Drew617, Askwhy and 3 others like this.
  14. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I think Reverb and eBay have changed their policies to offer more like store return policies because the seller base has changed so much. Reverb (and ebay) began on the premise of giving musicians a wider marketplace to resell their used gear. Now it's primarily an online portal for retailers to list the entire contents of their B&M shop for sale. And you've got everyone from music retailers to pawn shops on there. On top of that there's probably a few guys in every urban area who run a side business snatching up gear deals to resell them at inflated prices on sites like Reverb and ebay. So for every musician who's just trying to resell some amp or guitar in a one off situation, there's probably 10 other actual businesses selling wares on there. So the cards are kinda stacked against you.

All I can say is if anyone has issues with the realities of Reverb or eBay, then just stick to local sales like Craigslist, Kijiji, and FB Marketplace. Trouble is it can be harder to move some pieces on there depending on the market you live in.

Henley likes this.
  15. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Not your problem. If it failed within a week or maybe two, then I'd understand the need to 'fix' the situation. After almost two months, no...just no. The two amp techs were not qualified if they couldn't find the problem.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Okay, what does reverb sell?

Drew617 likes this.
  17. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I only sell and buy high dollar items in person unless from a trusted retailer. Human nature has soured me over the years i'm afraid. This does of course limit my selection but it saves my peace of mind. I'm still trying to get refunded for the ocean front property in Arizona I bought by mail in the early 1970's.

PaulNYC likes this.
  18. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

They sell a service. It appears you are going to try and take me through a series of questions that ends up "proving" your point. May i suggest instead that you do some preliminary reading on how markets work? Then we could have a good conversation, as Reverb is very interesting and informative regarding buyer/seller behavior in a marketplace platform for products we all have an interest in. At least it's interesting to me.

Drew617 and MilwMark like this.
  19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You should apologize for that remark.

Dan German, archetype and PCollen like this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

There were no amp techs. An amp tech can figure out any problem with an amp. It’s not that complicated. The buyer found something he wanted more than the amp he bought and figured he’d give it a shot at sending the amp back. The seller, being a nice guy and Canadian, made a mistake by offering anything from his end. Reverb seems to be acting like asses on this deal. I know what the problem is but I don’t know the solution.

Alex_C and Askwhy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.