1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. LWS66

LWS66 TDPRI Member

That’s the problem with many these days, too much boo-boo and not enough common sense. Social media done seen to that. Out grandparents are all rolling in their graves. That Nancy boy gets nothing, tell him to pound sand and grow a pair!

SnidelyWhiplash and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Damn, i think you should write this as a screenplay. i'd watch it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It was certainly stranger than fiction playing out on these pages!

goonie likes this.
  4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Send him this:

5. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Reverb has been super unhelpful on this and they keep siding with the buyer. I’m considering leaving the site after poor customer service

6. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Reverb's buyer protection policy requires buyer to make communication within 7 days of receipt of product. Two months is rubbish. If Reverb want's to yield to a buyer who didn't follow policy they should pay him and leave you out of it.

That said, the two-day return policy and as-is conditions of your sale do seem to be overridden by Reverb's buyer guarantee which is 7-days return with the implied warranty that it is as-described. Seems like seller's conditions are superseded by Reverb to that extent but that extent has long since passed.
    Good luck.

howardlo likes this.
  7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Yeah - I haven't sold anything on Reverb for over a year (fortunately, I live in an area with millions of potential buyers on FB marketplace and/or CL) and have determined I won't be doing that anymore. There are too many potential issues - shipping damage, etc. that will never come up in a F2F transaction.

8. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    I would have to just say tough luck, to be honest. It seems mean, but it easily could have been mishandling on his part, or just a problem that came up after you had it.

9. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

You get a week and that’s it in my opinion. You often find guys that damage items or get buyers remorse.

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

stinks of buyers remorse... good luck

11. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Send him a cease and desist ?

To Reverb and the buyers since it's a threesome contract, you did not breach contract, unless you have a legal guarantee to proceeds, while would you have to proceed to something not in the contract ?

Or even a class action if Reverb proceeds to do so with a lot of sellers in their due rights.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  12. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I know eBay apparently has some ridiculous return policies that override the seller’s return policies. But I find it hard to believe that even eBay would back up a buyer on something that went bad over TWO MONTHS LATER. If you’re reporting it exactly as happened, and the amp was good when you sent it, I’d have to take legal action against eBay before I’d take that lying down. Hope you’ll keep us updated on the outcome.

13. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

the technicality is that the amp was marked as as described when I sold it and so they’re milking that there wasn’t full transparency. I’ve got 200 5 star ratings and am not about to try and scam someone out of one amp. It just really annoying that there’s even an opportunity to return an amp back to me that’s not working now

Bryan A likes this.
  14. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Some morons at Etsy seem to have decided that Reverb can function without sellers apparently. eBay jumped the shark a long time ago and now it’s 90% imports from mainland China, won’t be surprised if in a year or two reverb is the same.

15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I sell everything with a zero return policy although someone recently received a broken plastic pickup cover from me. He sent a pic as requested and I refunded him the money. It was an extra that was included with a guitar sale and the guitar was fine. We agreed on a price for the pickup cover. The OP offering to help with repair costs after the buyer has had the amp for months is very generous and I am sure that I wouldn't go there.

16. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

It was definitely strange, the first guy who was selling it "AustinCityLimits" was trying to scam the second buyer and disappeared after that saga never to be seen again. The second guy deserved his money back and I'm glad he also got to keep the guitar, I just hate that AustinCityLimits got to keep the cash they scammed.

telemnemonics and Torren61 like this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

LOL, “honor among thieves” or “THAT’S WHAT YOU GET!” ?

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

It was a big mess, and it sucked for the the member "ACL" to pass on his misfortune. That member who disappeard after the mess, had been sold the guitar in the same manner, so they passed on the ripoff they suffered, while including in the sale description that they were not sure what the guitar really was, aside from it seeming like a vintage guitar.

But at the same time, the second buyer: Admitted that he did not really believe he was getting a refin '52 for $2000, and in the end after making a greed based impulse buy hoping it was worth far more (when he could have written to the seller that he thought they were losing $10,000 in the deal, but instead hoped he could GET the $10,000 he hoped they were losing), the second buyer worked the system and paid zero for a $500 guitar, while it seems the first buyer got out of it breaking even and not having any guitar in the deal.

To me the message here is that all who put counterfeit Fender decals on guitars "for their own use" are setting up future misfortune.

A fair number of times I've done the same thing, bought impulsively hoping I was getting a screaming deal.
    Now and then I tell a seller they have a more valuable object they should take off the market and research more, but I've never thought i was paying $2000 for a $20,000 guitar.

BluesGuitarMart and howardlo like this.
  19. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

Did they contact you before taking it to a tech?

They decided to try to remedy the problem and didnt give you an opportunity.

That may help you.

20. telemnemonics

Seems like selling gear has gotten harder, maybe too much used gear for sale and too many of us flip gear so often that we feel a need to get as much of the original purchase price back as possible.
    We can stroll into an GC and sell an amp, no hassle if the amp breaks in a month.

If we want to MAKE MORE MONEY, we go to an online middleman who takes a cut but provides some protections for both buyer and seller.

No way I'm buying gear without testing it if there's no protection.
    Sucks to have to occasional bad buyer, but again, if we don't like the risks we can sell to a GC store and lose 40%.

When ebay went from IIRC a 30 day to a six month return period, that was nuts.
    But a seller stipulating a three day return on an amp might sound better to sellers than buyers.
    Plenty of amps I've bought took a few days to start blowing fuses or to have an existing problem become apparent.

I've had amps I could have sold knowing they had an intermittent problem, and a buyer could have gotten screwed.
    IDK how long is a fair return period, but six months is too long and three days is too short IMO.

Also for certain, selling on aplatform with one return policy, but typing out our own return policy that's shorter, that just doesn't really work. All it does is allow that the seller asks no questions in their stipulated three days or whatever, and after that the buyer has to go through the sales platform and fight for the refund guaranteed by ebay or reverb.

I bought a pair of Dynasonic style pickups and before they shipped I learned that they were really P-90s in dyna costumes.
    Within hours I wrote to the seller, apologized for my mistake, and asked for a return before he even shipped them.
    He had stated a 7 day return for any reason.
    He ignored my initial return request and shipped the pickups, then I asked again and he claimed that he should not pay for my mistake.
    Took a while but Reverb agreed that my return was legit since he offered 7 day free returns for any reason.

He was mad as hell about it!
    I apologized several times and pointed out that he wasn't losing anything, just the time.
    And had he accepted the return before shipping, he could have put the listing right back up within hours.

Plenty of ways to sell our gear!
    I've been selling gear for 46 years and am not upset by the possibility that I might have to pay some money for the use of a piece of gear.
    I more often buy vintage gear cheap that appreciates in value, but how many things can we use for years and get all our money back on?
    Cars? Hhahahahahahaha!
    Appliances? Clothing? Smart phones and computers?
    Seriously, if we don't like the terms and conditions on a selling platform, we don't have to use it.
    If we don't like the fact that a guitar shop needs to make money on the gear they sell for us when we change our mind, we might have to make other sacrifices to get more $$ in sales.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.