1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In that case, if you feel bad, send him a pound of back-bacon. Then tell him to pound sand.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Here's how I would respond:

[​IMG]

3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

No, you are being a reasonable adult.

4. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

This. Guys thinking the "as is" setting gives them any protection are kidding themselves. (I do use it, like Drew617, as a buyer expectation tool).

Drew617 likes this.
  5. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

If I see “as is” in an ad I can’t help thinking if there is some hidden or unmentioned defect.

sax4blues likes this.
  7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I've had to remind some of those services that modifying the terms of the contract between buyer and seller is not their place. If you've sold "as-is" and they are giving you a hard time, reminding them that they are over-stepping their bounds might be of help.

Keep it simple. Don't say or do things that could jeopardize the "as-is" character of your transaction. Misreprenting an item's condition is an example. Your idea of "looks like new" our "sounds great" may not line up with that of a buyer who has decided he wants to back out. Don't represent "mint condition" or engage in any other hyperbole.

Also, I always take a few photos of the item as I am boxing it. If it is an amp, make a short video of you playing it right before you box it up. These minor efforts can save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Askwhy likes this.
  8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

That is not covered by "as is" and forms the basis for the problem we are discussing. Buyer is basically saying there was something undisclosed and seller is saying it was fine when i sent it. No way of knowing the truth, so advantage taking buyers understand it is a way to get around the system if they have remorse. It sucks, but in the end, buyer confidence is best for Reverb and for sellers in the form of more buyer participants increasing demand, leading to higher prices and increased liquidity for moving unwanted items. Sucks for the honest seller who gets screwed by the policy.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The output being lower than before. I've had that happen. Problem with the tubes and/or filter caps.

10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

This is much more powerful in dispute resolution than the return option you select or stating anything in the listing you feel protects you. Still no guarantees but they will review these, ime. Unscrupulous people and criminals are usually looking for easy marks and this step lets them know that you are at least going to have documentation to make your case. I always mention to buyers that i will take a video showing the working condition and then the packaging process and would be glad to send it to them. Never had an issue with a return. I know this is more luck than anything, but you can take some simple steps to reduce the odds you will be targeted by an advantage taker. Kind of like locking your door, they will get in if they really want to, but if they are just looking for something easy, they may move on to a different house.

Stubee and Drew617 like this.
  11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

If you set the terms and conditions before the sale, you're not obligated to do anything further. Regardless, I think the sale became final after it was serviced--who knows what kind of monkeying around took place in there or how reputable the technician was.

beanluc likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

too long to tell whether he did something to screw it up. in that timeframe, i would tell him to go screw himself. i can't be liable for a mistake he possibly made.

since i was a tester at a few places for equipment, i always record a video of testing equipment on the day of boxing it up for shipping. that way, i have a timestamp and evidence that the thing is working.

thus far, i have only run into some scenarios where the buyer screwed things up on install or firing it up. but luckily (thanks to fuses or protection diodes), it was easily resolved.

but i always take a little comfort in that test video. i've never had to use one to settle a dispute though.

13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I appreciate your good naturedness, but you hold no obligation legally nor morally....it is their amp now and has been out of your control.

Unfortunately, stories like this happen far too often, the world is full of buyers who are just not mature enough to handle their own affairs. Wish them well, but cut ties, they need to handle their buisness.

14. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

The buyer should have raised any concerns with the amps condition withinthe two days or at least a week. If ebay comes backnto you I would cite the terms of the agreement.

Complaining about the amps condition after months is absurd. Thats plenty of time to damage the amp.

I don't believe the tech story. It would ineresting to ask for the tech's names and contact info and see what kind of response you get.

15. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My general experience as well. Reverb is quick to point out that they're not a party to our transactions, rather that a sale on their platform represents a contract between buyer and seller, but good luck getting anyone to enforce those "contracts." Reverb may side with me in a dispute resolution if the buyer raised a dispute with them - and @Rick330man's advice is good here - but that doesn't help with a chargeback or a paypal dispute.

I can't speak for Reverb but I suspect photos or videos do more to show them that you're a diligent seller who's willing to make a case for yourself - and potentially tie up some of their resources in a dispute. The seller's responsibility is to get an item to the buyer in the condition promised. That it looked and worked OK before it was boxed and loaded on a truck doesn't demonstrate anything about what the buyer says he received.

More directly, in OP's shoes I'd either ignore or deny the request. But if the buyer's dishonest/persistent/both that may not be final.

16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Do nothing. It's a used tube amp you sold in good faith, its not new, he had a chance to try it out and return it. Its too late. The money has cleared, and it is presumed you sold as is after the 2 day trial. I think you have a winning case here.

Drew617 likes this.
  17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Sounds logical, but completely incorrect if those terms differ from the sale site or payment method company policy.

Drew617 likes this.
  18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Yeah, fair point. I guess I'm saying he's not obligated to do anything beyond those mutually agreed-to terms (unsure what Reverb or and other third party may require).

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe I missed the selling service provider?
    If you sell on ebay and list a two day return period, ebays six month return period is the one they make the claim under.

Sucks but if we don't like the policy we can sell in some other venue.

Drew617 likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Remember a year or so back a member posted pics of a Tele he bought thinking it was a big $$ vintage guitar only to find out on these pages that it was just a decent partscaster?

Then the saga unfolded further when that TDPRI member sold it to ANOTHER TDPRI member, as "appears to be a refin '52 but I'm not 100% certain" or something like that.
    The second TDPRI buyer started another "did I get ripped off thread" and admitted that the TDPRI seller saying he "wasn't sure" it was legit vintage made him wonder, but he still jumped on it hoping for a screaming deal.

Then the second TDPRI buyer went to his credit card company claiming the first TDPRI member had TOLD HIM IT WAS A LEGIT REFIN '52, got the full purchase price refunded by the card company, and kept the guitar.

By golly if the system is rigged I'm ready for some rippin off!

Torren61, Askwhy and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.