1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Buyer's request is ridiculous.
    Only issue is that if it was on eBay, they will back him up.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a great line from the movie Monte Walsh. Tom Selleck speaking as Monte looks at a guy who's talking to him, and replies. You know I just can't begin to tell you how much I'm not interested. That's the way I feel about returns.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The buyer is acting in bad faith. You truly owe him nothing and it’s generous of you to offer anything at all at this point. I’d absolutely not take it back unless forced to by EBay “rules” or whatever.

It’s been awhile since I’ve sold anything but I’ve used this site, UMGF and EBay in the past. I never had anything but satisfied buyers and one guy loved the Strat I sold him so much that he sent me a little clip of him playing it. It sounds to me like you also fairly sold a nice piece of equipment but have unfortunately run into one of those guys who’s just bad to deal with.

4. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

Took the amp to two techs and neither could diagnose the problem? I don't believe a word of that.
    Any tech worth his salt could tell you what it is and how much to fix inside of eight minutes. Ask to give up the 'techs" that looked at it, and give them a call. Bluff called.

5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'd ignore the request; The buyer is being unreasonable and has misunderstood the bargain involved in buying used gear from a private seller. I'd also be prepared to accept a return if the buyer, his credit card issuer, or Reverb forces one.

I try to remember not to sell anything (generally, my own instruments and some unrelated professional or hobby gear) on Reverb or eBay if I can't afford to take a loss on any one of them individually. On occasion, I have been forced to.

About a year ago I sold a DSL15 head on Reverb. Marshalls are not my thing at all but I took it in partial trade for an AC15C1 that I just couldn't move. AC15s are not especially valuable, heavy as poo, and the cabs are made of compressed bran flakes - prohibitive to ship. The DSL15 is an oddball Marshall, a 2x6V6 amp. Some guys on the Marshall forums seem to think they're a little Fenderish, but from my perspective they're not at all: They are gainy, filtered and NFB'd all to hell. Anyway, it's a funny little amp.

The DSL was picked up by a local-ish guy who demonstrated himself to be an idiot, complaining a month after the sale about "static." I figured it was buyer's remorse, but made honest attempts to help him diagnose and troubleshoot the issue, which he of course didn't engage. Ended up forcing a return to me via CC chargeback to Reverb. I did get the amp back, which is lucky, but it was packed loose in a cardboard produce box, filthy, and smelled like a hundred ashtrays. There was, of course, no static in the amp. I was able to clean it up (again) and resell to somebody who wasn't a jackass, thankfully.

I realized that day that Reverb had been negatively affected by its acquisition. Their CS actually suggested I was being petty for complaining that the amp was filthy and, in general, for not sticking up for me. The buyer had clearly been abusive and uncooperative, and I had reliably better outcomes in similar situations with the CME folks. They can't avoid the chargeback to them, but they can throw me some kind of consolation - they're supposed to be curating and facilitating these transactions. Guess that's what we get for our 5% fee. I shouldn't keep using them but I do out of convenience, although less frequently.

I've probably said in ten different threads that managing expectations is critical to success in these transactions. As a seller, at least on eBay-Reverb-etc. where terms and credit cards are in play, one of those expectations is that you will occasionally be affected by an immature or dishonest person.

Stubee, archtop_fjk and nojazzhere like this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Send him the link to this thread.

7. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Did he report the 'issues' within 24-48hrs of receipt?

No? Then there's your answer.

8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

It's stuff like this that makes people think I am "generous." I prefer to give gear away within reason (to a friend or a charity) over selling it, especially if selling involves shipping.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd say Sorry Nate, you got here late, ALL the Jive is Gone!

That's a toughie.
    You want to do the right thing.
    But you have No Idea what the buyer has done to it since it arrived in their possession.
    You stated your terms, the Buyer agreed.

The Amp tech can't figure it out?
    Not much of a Tech if you ask me.

The burden of Proof is on the Buyer.

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great minds think alike.

11. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since November? Buyer has had PLENTY of time to damage it through misuse, etc. You have no obligation to take it back or pay for repairs.

12. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

13. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I wholeheartedly agree with most of the rightfully indignant responses, common sense being if you buy something used and it is in working order when you get it, you are taking the risk going forward. Buying new at a higher price generally includes a warranty vs. buying used at a discount.
    HOWEVER, what really matters is where and how you sold it. Reverb, ebay, payal, etc and what their policies are that you agreed to when you used their service is what will determine the outcome. I fear you may not like their answer but i truly hope it works out for you. I hate advantage takers in all walks of life, they ruin good things for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Drew617 likes this.
  14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes! please do this and tell us what he has to say.

15. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I bought a used amp in the late nineties and after a couple of months both speakers blew, the only speakers I have ever blown so I'm pretty sure it wasn't something I did. I never thought of contacting the seller for anything. I just put in two new speakers and went on playing. How was he supposed to know that 20 year old speakers were 2 months from blowing. Used gear is used gear.

16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

And your spanish is weak, too. You need an accent on the e: "inglés"

As for the amp, others have pointed out that the time has run on your obligation. No telling what this guy did to it.

To protect yourself in the future, sell your gear clearly indicating that it is an "as is" sale.

Drew617 likes this.
  17. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

As a matter of diligence (buyer expectations!) I sell everything including mint gear with the "as-is" flag set, so I basically agree. Because I still see other sellers attempting to set terms in their listing content (pointless) and a fair amount of opinion even here, I'd just point out that protection is not at all absolute, especially for a potential not-as-described claim. If Paypal was used, buyers have up to 180 days to open a dispute.

A seller participating in any of those marketplaces should assume - if only for his own sanity - that occasionally a buyer and his credit card, the issuing bank, or Reverb, are gonna do what they're gonna do. Our opinion or ethics, or the not-at-all-binding terms the seller wrote into his item description, won't be relevant when that happens.

The only real way to avoid that is to sell locally and accept only cash.

Askwhy likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You owe them zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Goose egg. I wouldn’t even have offered to help with repairs. Who knows what’s happened to that thing since it left your possession? No way.

archtop_fjk and Drew617 like this.
  19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't do anything. I wouldn't even reply to the buyer.

20. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t even respond. If I bought a used amp today and it broke 2 months from now, that’s my problem. Not sure where you sold it but if he tries to get his money back, dispute it through your bank or wherever it would be coming from. eBay/Reverb can’t do anything if you have your bank deny the payment. Been there, done that. This guy is either an idiot or a piece of garbage, most likely both.

Capgun

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.