1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

When I sell something used I expect: 1) you will ask any questions today, 2) you will test/investigate today, and 3) you will never darken my doorway again after today.

As is, where is. Good day, sir.

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

That's why I stopped selling things on Ebay.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Bricked right out of the box. Would do nothing. Could not reboot, reset, restart, reload firmware, nothing.

John Nicholas and Boreas like this.
  4. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

No return it refund, you did everything in good faith and more than a few days is unacceptable to ask for a return

tery likes this.
  5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ab-so-nuffing-lute-ly not!

6. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

You owe them nothing.

tery likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, in that case they would likely require a refund on that as long as it was listed in working condition.

8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would prefer dealing with him through eBay rather than in person.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Ignore the messages.

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Since November? Nope.

Once he knocked over that can of Coca-Cola that he’d set on top of the amp, he started thinking that a refund would sure be nice.

We’re damn near to February. Hell no!

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The inherent risks of buying a used amp. Unfortunately, some consumers are never satisfied. I understand @jayroc1 's guilty qualms, but this is clearly an unreasonable request by the buyer. It is a pickle, so only the weight of a guilty conscious can be the judge here. How much is it worth to reduce that weight is a very personal decision that I don't think anyone here can help with.

What I will say is that there are far worse pickles to be in and "guilt" can be at many levels in life and this one doesn't seem to rise to a very substantial or lasting level of guilt. I feel your pain though jayroc, and it is too bad that there are consumers out there like this. Best of luck.

Torren61 and gregulator450 like this.
  12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I only sell things to friends, or stores. I know you get less by selling to a store, but there’s usually no drama. And they give you a nice shiny quarter!

MilwMark likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Let me tell you something, if you're doing a deal (ANY kind of a deal) you'd better hope that the person on the other side of that deal is me or someone like me. My word means something to me and people who know me. I do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. I am above what you can consistently find when doing business with other people because I will not screw you over. I am not motivated by money over honor. People like us are out there but we are NOT the majority.

I also know when someone is trying to "take the pizz" like the buyer you are currently communicating with. He has gone outside of what is reasonable AND he's lying to you or he doesn't know any knowledgable amp repair people.

Tell him to call Skip Simmons, Bill Krinard or Colleen Fazio.

Or just send him a refund. It's your money.

14. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

It took him a month to find out it had a volume issue? He didn't try it on day 1?

Maybe the guy is being honest, but he is way past the point where you should be involved at all.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I had just awoken and posted this from my iPhone before I saw your response, lol.

VintageSG likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Just say "no".

Use the "no" explanation in my signature if you like.

SRHmusic, John Nicholas and Torren61 like this.
  17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Understood. Good luck.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never sold anything on ebay or reverb, more than anything else because of all the stories I've read right here on the dog! I extend my famous Georgia guarantee when I sell something, and I make it clear when it goes out the door, if it falls in half, both halves are 100% yours. Walmart and guitar center have caused all of this, allowing people to return things for forty five to ninety days is just plain stupid business. That policy has caused people to expect to return anything anytime to anyone for no reason at all. I'm not going to play. I'd just as soon give something to someone I know, and have them enjoy it, than to sell it and deal with a whining, snivel puss return guy.

19. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I would say if you buy something used, you take a chance. If the guy had come to you within a reasonable time frame, which he didn't, then this discussion might have been different. As it sits now, I would say the amp worked when it shipped and it is two months plus later that you are hearing from him.

I would do nothing, because you have no idea what he did with the amp. He may have been playing it for a couple of months and decided he didn't want it anymore, might have needed the cash, who knows what other reason he could have.

If you wanted to have some fun, you could ask him for the phone number of the technicians he had service the amp because you wanted to speak to them personally. My money is that he stammers a bit or comes up with a lame excuse for not being able to provide the information. Or you could ask to see the receipts from said technicians for the work. Again, my bet is that he doesn't have a receipt. But if you decide to play games then you just prolong the conversation that needs to stop.

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you stated or implied the sale included a warranty, the transaction is complete.

You owe nothing other than perhaps, "good luck with that amp."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.