1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buyer requesting refund after months with amp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jayroc1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I recently sold a 6505+ head in great condition shipped well packaged with the tubes seperately.

The buyer bought the amp in November and is now sending me messages that the amp is struggling volume wise and they've taken it to two techs without being able to resolve the issue. My return policy was 2 business days after arrival. Am I being mean by refusing a refund? Ive offered to help pay repair costs but since they've taken it to two techs it's now costing them as much as the amp without a resolution which I find very odd.

There were no issues before I sent the amp and I included a new set of power and preamp tube sets

what would you do in this situation?

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i would do absolutely nothing further. offered to help with repair costs? that was over and beyond reasonable, IMO.

3. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

In my opinion, when someone buys used, they're taking the risk that comes with the age of the product. You sold them the amp in good faith - it's not like you were trying to rip them off. The amp arrived in condition sufficient for the the buyer to not immediately demand a refund. And who knows what they've done to/with the amp in the meantime. For example, there's at least a chance that the amp has experienced a power surge while in the new owner's possession. If you have an overzealous sense of guilt, throw them 10% of the final sale price and tell them that's the best you can do. You're an honest seller who did his best to fulfill his obligations in the transaction. You can't please everyone, and you didn't offer an extended warranty as a condition of the sale. This is one of those great topics where you're going to get a million different opinions, but that's mine.

Danb541, Steve Holt, PCollen and 14 others like this.
  4. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

It's the Canadian in me lol

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Nothing.
    The return policy was stated prior to purchase.
    You have no idea, nor responsibility, regarding what has happened to that piece of delicate electrical equipment for the last two months.
    Tell the fella you are sorry to hear he’s having issues, but at this point you are not responsible for the condition of the amp.

6. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buyers remorse

7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

His amp now. I wouldn't have offered to pay for nuthin' if you didn't sell it with a warranty. He may have dropped it down a flight of stairs or been playing in a high-power hair band since he received it. It's electronics, not a block of steel.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I believe the expression is 'pound sand'. That's what they do.
    They've had it long enough. Not your problem, and don't offer to have it repaired either. If it worked when it left your possession, and presumably when they received it, the onus is not on you to resolve anything. Two techies?, smell the odour of bovine ordure being wafted your way.
    Wish them well for the future and get on with your guilt-free life.

rz350, esetter, Steve Holt and 8 others like this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Tell him to pound sand. Then stop communicating with this nutter and don’t give them a cent.

esetter, PCollen, GFrank and 7 others like this.
  10. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Two techs fixed nothing and it cost equivalent to the amp? That doesn't sound correct.

11. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No!

Bassman8, unfamous, skunqesh and 2 others like this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

NO! Don’t give them a penny! This is not your responsibility anymore. If you send him 10%, send me 10% too.

13. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Where did you sell it? With experience as both a buyer and a seller, on eBay “return policies” basically mean nothing. If the buyer wants to send it back, they generally get to send it back.

Reverb can be a bit better.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Exactly.

15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Tell him to "have a nice life" .

16. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

A deal is a deal. If he wanted an amp with a warranty, he should have purchased one.

And another thing: What does "struggling volume wise" mean? Not as loud as he thought it would be?

17. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

Clearly, Torren61 has never experienced that "overzealous sense of guilt" that I was talking about. :p

18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I was accused of having buyer’s remorse once because I wanted to return a used AppleTV Gen1 that was bricked. Ended up with eBay making them take it back.

Boreas likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I would not do it. NOPE.
    But if you want to , tell him you will take it back if he ships prepaid, If it is not damaged, you will not refund original freight, refund will be -10% restocking fee.

All my (few!) sales of amps etc on line now state all of the above except the restocking fee. If an amp buyer wants to lose roughly $100 for the freight both ways, I'll take it back if Ebay or Reverb says I need to.

I sold a vintage Jensen speaker recently. The buyer claimed it was defective (I had tested it and described the sound test) When it arrived back he had punched a hole in the cone with the speaker stud....obviously in mounting it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But was it DOA? Or did it take a couple months to go belly-up?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.