Buyer having issue with DRRI I sold

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by MerleJam, Dec 10, 2019.

1. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Hi, the person who purchased my 65 DRRI just messaged me this(see photo). Is there anyone who could help diagnose this? I never had any issues with the amp. It was packaged well for shipment. I removed the tubes and hopefully didn’t unknowingly damage a socket or something. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

make sure the rca plugs connecting the reverb unit are clean/rust free...

happened to my 210 once when I bumped a connection fiddling around in the back.... major hiss... I cleaned up the connectors and it went back to quiet...

one thing to try..:)

Boil, Straydogger, Crawldaddy and 4 others like this.
  3. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Hissing reverb is typically a tube OR a dirty connection at the tank (on the DRRI, the rca leads are hardwired to the board I believe, so no connections at the chassis end).

Part of the diagnosing process would also be to clean the cable ends and the jacks on the tank with Deoxit or some kind of contact cleaner. Also cleaning the connections with a pipe cleaner or some sort of brush. Plug the tank back in and see if your hiss goes away. Could also be the tank itself.

I have run into this a number of times. I have even flipped the tank 180 degrees and that has helped with noise as well. If the reverb input is close to the power transformer it will hum. Not sure if that will fix the issue, but it happens often enough to check it out for sure. Hope that helps.

Also below are a few reverb trouble shooting videos as well.

GGardner likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Just turning the plug on the RCA connector often cures odd noise. If the reverb works it"s not the tank.

GGardner, vgallagher and trev333 like this.
  5. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

If removing the tube associated with reverb stops the noise, and putting a known working tube in its place doesn’t fix the noise, what does that leave as the culprit?

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One thing to ask him is how high he has the reverb set? I know some on this forum have asked about reverb noise and we eventually find out they have it cranked up to 8-10! Most Fenders create noise there and maybe you never had it that high...?
    I don't know anybody that sets Fender reverb above maybe 5 but you never know...

Other than that...Yes to the suggestion of cleaning the reverb tank RCA cable ends.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I would guess it means the issue occurs between the reverb tank and the tubes (pulling the tube off isolates the verb from the rest of the circuit). Thus a bad RCA connexion looks like the ideal culprit.

Crawldaddy and MerleJam like this.
  8. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I hope that is all it is. It’s odd because I never had a problem. I played it right before I shipped it and it was fine. He receives it and it is doing this.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Shipping amps is always super fun. I'd also cast my vote for an issue with the cables to the tank.

Straydogger and MerleJam like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Again, One thing to ask him is how high he has the reverb set? How high did you ever set it?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

Ask him to send a sound, or video clip. Might help you identify it. Then again if it's high freq. I'm not gonna hear it.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Amps are delicate. That why I never buy and ship online from someone that does not have a return policy. A private party could have a perfectly working amp at home and left in the hands of shipping companies, have a total mess when it arrives at its destination. If I sell an amp or expensive guitar, it is local pickup only or it doesn't go out. I have had too many problems with heavy electronic items not arriving in one piece.

If he/she picked it up themselves after testing it out. It's on them now. How can you be held to guarantee it. They need to take it to a good tech. I am sure it cant be that big of a problem.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Straydogger, rangercaster and Fuelish like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wonder if you will net more $$ than you would have from a sale to a store, after the amp is shipped both ways on your dime and you eat transaction fees (even setting aside "cost" of your time in dealing with all of this)?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I just think there is a good reason stores exist. Some people enjoy the dance and the uncertainty. I don't. So I'd rather just take my lumps at a store and move on.

I do hope this works out of you and your buyer to mutual satisfaction.

Straydogger and rangercaster like this.
  14. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

He is supposed to send one today.

15. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Honestly, after I paid to have it packaged and shipped, I got 527 for the amp. I probably will not sell an amp online again. The buyer has been super nice and reasonable, it’s just definitely not the best way to sell an amp. I sold it on Reverb. He will have to cover the return shipping. I’m hoping the advice from here that I’ve sent him will alleviate the issue. If not, I’m thinking he would be better off taking the money he would have to pay to ship the amp back and put that toward carrying it to a tech to repair it. I am going to offer to pay the difference over that amount.

16. MilwMark

If he returns for defect Reverb won't make him cover the return shipping.

17. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

The amp was way overpacked and left my house in working order. How do I know he didn’t cause the issue when handling the amp and putting the tubes back in?

Straydogger likes this.
  18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

You don't.

But you still have to pay the return
    shipping.

One of the hazards of online sales.

stevemc and MilwMark like this.
  19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Waidaminnit. Paid to have it packed and shipped?

UPS, perhaps?

Put in a claim for concealed damage. For all you know they whacked it hard enough to break the circuit board.

So maybe it was FedEx, I don't know. All I know is I had a rather lengthy conversation with my local UPS driver. He insisted anything that gets damaged wasn't packed properly. He has a point.

FedEx has adopted an annoying habit of tearing packages down for "inspection". Had a FedEx clerk do that right in front of me the other day. She took apart my package that I carefully engineered to survive in an active war zone. She unpacked the box within a box. She left out the rigid Styrofoam I use for armor and mis- placed the material that was left.

The "reissue" uses a strip of PC mounted pots. Whack one hard enough, you'll have crackle and hiss.

Straydogger likes this.
  20. MilwMark

You don't. But you are the seller and he is the buyer. You had the amp. He was just going on your word (which, don't get me wrong, I'm not impugning). Keep in mind if Paypall and/or a credit card are involved they offer additional buyer protections.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.