1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buy now. Tele lineup and prices getting nuts.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ira7, Jul 16, 2018.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Like anything else in life if you can't afford it, it's too expensive. I daresay that Fender, like any savvy business, will have priced their products according to what the market will bear. The 'Roadworn' series appears to be very popular and sells well, even with some models creeping over the £1000 mark.
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...coHyBvI_MsUxWJ_kky7hwigIoBd8KdehoC8pwQAvD_BwE
    I remember the days when one pound (£1) would buy me a packet of cigarettes and enough beer to get me drunk at two shillings a pint. That was then, this is now. Don't confuse the two...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Nope, that is as categorically absurd as it would be if you had suggested that the entire used car market was comprised of 'lemons'. People buy new because it is new, and they prefer this year's model of whatever item, over last year's, because it is new and maybe a bit different. I have bought and sold literally dozens, maybe over one hundred, guitars during my 50 years of playing, and to suggest they were all 'lemons' is ridiculous, frankly. Among them were several Custom Shop guitars and high-end, luthier-built commissioned instruments, both electric and acoustic.
    People sell their stuff for many reasons; maybe they aren't happy with how it plays, but someone else will be delighted that they have found, in that used 'lemon', the guitar they have been searching for for a long time.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

You think this is bad? Just wait until we start seeing Fender Certified Pre-Owned guitars in their catalog.

jannodude and JayFreddy like this.
  4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I'd argue that all of it has hidden issues. What comes out of the factory with a setup perfect for you isn't necessarily right for me, which would be an issue. But that's why guitars are adjustable. One guitar I bought had a card in with the case candy that said something along the lines of "Here's the truss rod wrench. We recommend that you use it after a few weeks of ownership because you're not keeping the guitar in our factory where it was set up."

Sure, but that guitar was once brand new and had the same chance of going south that anything else did. It may have been one of the problem children and a previous owner had it corrected. The irredeemable examples end up in the bin, parted out or sold on the really cheap.

5. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

I buy new "budget" guitars because I know I can return them if I find something not quite right. The budget guitars I buy tend to be unique in some way or another as well. Though I don't buy them with the intention of selling at a later date I know that as a result of picking the best of the litter, setting them up correctly, and being studio kept, I will only lose a nominal amount if I do sell. If I was in a cover band trying to replicate someone else's "sound" it would be different; I would have a myriad of used choices and avail myself of them.

"Horses for courses."

bgmacaw and Flakey like this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Any guitar can these days:

download (1).jpg

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

...and with genuine relic finish (you pay extra for that).

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bailey Brothers in Birmingham has a good selection of Fenders from the MIMs to the American made. maybe you need to look a little more.

9. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I’ve been real lucky buying used but it takes a lot of patience. Most used pricing is rediculous. People thinking hey can get 10-15% off the new price are crazy. Most of the time that small of a discount isn’t worth the risk.

After things are discontinued it can get a little weirder. But still I’ve bought almost vintage guitars for less than half of what people are ussually asking.

Some of the blowout specials for new gear are great bargains. I see people asking more for their used guitar than I can buy it brand new online somewhere — where I can pay over time if I want or return it if needed.

I can also see buying new for something wanted/needed that’s very specific and popular.

After 2 or 3 guitars how urgent could something be? (I say standing in front of 12 guitars on the wall ...)

rdwhitti, JayFreddy and Rayf_Brogan like this.
  10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Baja is still $800.00 Road Worn is still $900.00. Doesn't sound too crazy to me. Both great guitars and great values.

Owenmoney and ScribbleSomething like this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Well...

I was using MF as a guide that they carried every new model available, more or less. Maybe this was a wrong assumption, but I also assume other places had leftover last-year models that MF didn't.

So looking at the old MIM Standard and Deluxe compared to the newly available, it just seems like a lot less.

12. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

FWIW I agree that the used guitar market has a lemons problem. This doesn't mean every used guitar is a lemon. It means that, for a percentage of instruments, the owner didn't like something about the guitar - the weight, tone, feel, balance, fit and finish, etc. This is a risk with buying used without a return policy, which is why used guitars sell at a significant discount.

13. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

G&L.

14. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

That's a romantic idea but it doesn't always work out that way unless you can make everything from scratch. Not enough choices for parts and it is a TON of work and takes forever and a day and ends up not being much cheaper. For some reason I keep doing it though.

15. PMJYDNL

PMJYDNL TDPRI Member

I was reading somewhere recently after the Gibson fiasco, that the Guitar market is a slowly dying business. I cannot remember and cannot quote the exact number....but the sale of new guitars have fallen in excess of 30+% in the past 10 years or so.....Hence why Gibson was investing (unwisely in many cases) heavily in Non Core Business. Fender will also go down the same path unless it has a good look at itself and where the market is heading. This is obviously not unique to the Music Industry. I think you need toreally look at the buying market and make some business decision based on commercial value versus perceived emotional values.

IMO, the Custom Shop instruments still has a placein the market......but it is a limited market.....unless you have way too much money and MUST have a custom Shop Equipment. However the need of the general market requires a nicely finished and appointed instrument at a reasonable price....and that is why Fender and the likes need to go down the parth of reevaluation.

In regards to Secondhand/used market, I do not subscribe that they are full of lemons. I see and know of many people that go out and buy a new guitar and sometimes way out of their financial capacity....only because it has a specific sticker on the headstock and/or because their friend or idols happens to have one. A lot of these eventually ends up being sold off when they realise that it is an expensive bit of timber that is way beyond their playing capacity......so yes you can pick up some of these at a reasonable price and certainly no lemon and the market place is full of that.

I like to keep my guitars in as new condition. I would consider buying a Secondhand...although I never have to date....if it met my criterias in term of playability and finish.

16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a lot of new guitars since I started gigging in 1963, and I don't own a single one of them. I believe only one may have been a lemon, but more likely just a disappointment. I have instead found a few used ones that I really liked over the years and ended up keeping most of them. A guitar is a very personal thing for me as it has to feel right, comfortable, play easy and be crafted in a way that it feels like it was built just for me. The electronics on board don't matter as that can all be changed to suit compatibility with my gigging amps. I have three Telecasters that back each other up and gig with regularly. One is an older American Standard Tele and the other two are exceptionally crafted Squire Teles. Not a lemon among them, as they are all exceptional to my likes and what I need to feel comfortable and sound good on my gigs. I own other really nice guitars as well....some expensive and some not so expensive. I'm very happy with what I have and am sure all of these will out-live me and be passed onto my music gigging kids someday. At my age, it would be foolish to buy a brand new guitar just for the sake of having a new one, when any of the ones I own can and will always get the job done.

17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I don't get the premise of the original post. the only price change I see is the MIM standard went up $50 when they changed the name to player and changed some of the features that's only about 8% not exactly a massive increase.
    Fender added some neat Squiers at a reasonable price point and everything else seems the same.
    Did I miss something?

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I've been making my own teles for a number of years and its far cheaper than getting the same thing from the Fender custom shop.

As the price continues to drop on CNC machines, these will be as common in home woodworking shops as the drill press. Eventually you just down load the programming of a tele body, load in the body blank of your choosing and make what you want yourself.

gobi_grey likes this.
  19. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I completely disagree about used guitars being lemons.

Styles change, gigs change, life’s priorities change. Hardly a reflection of the guitar.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have owned well over 200 electric guitars, probably closer to 250.

I own one now, bought it about a week ago.

All of those guitars I sold weren't lemons-- almost none of them were in fact. If something was wrong, I disclosed it. When I sell the one I currently own--which I inevitably will--it won't be because it's a lemon. It's a great playing/great sounding guitar.

Some people buy and sell and trade constantly. Others buy a guitar and never part with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.