Buy now or buy later...any difference?

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
No clue on your family responsibilities which of course come first.

But after that.....Have fun! Geez the way some grip over the price of guitars have obviously not looked at the price of boats, motorcycles, hot rods, hifi systems... Endless list of hobbies that cost more than the best guitar and get much less use.

I think we get wound up on the $300 Squier is as good as a CS point of view. If that were true....

For me each guitar I've spent more on I can say quantum leap above what I had before. I decided to stick with just 2 and for the past year that's held true; Fender CS 70th Ann. Broadcaster and a Collings D1A. I'm "DONE"! We'll see about that but I lack nothing in the guitar category for my style. The Broadcaster is WAY sweeter than the '52 AVRI I had

Buy the best and cry once and buy it when you see it!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
There is very little I regret NOT buying. There are a couple pieces of gear I regret getting rid of, and I can’t even begin to add up the amount of gear I’ve wasted my hard earned money on. But the gear I have waited for, or was so truly special that I walked out the store with it right then I still have and use with zero intentions of letting go.

And like many have said, if you can’t pay cash for it you don’t actually need it.

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
It all depends, what timeline you are looking at... On one hand, I never lost on buying used and reselling (not the case with buying new though), on the other hand, the market is oversaturated anyways and people are hoarding instruments. In 10-20 years some of those collections will hit the market overflooding it. I'm not sure, there will be enough demand for them, taking into account, that affordable guitars are in many cases as good or better than old ones. Also bare in mind, the craft of playing guitar, as we know it, is kind of dying of. There will be no grand virtuosos to follow.. unless someone reinvents the instrument.

So a better question would be, do you just want the gear you are looking at? If so, grab it. Little fluctuations during the year like pre-Christmas or Summer period will affect sales. Other than that, price will always increase slightly, as in general, the value of money is degrading all over the world with time.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Go with used gear, saves you half up front. So many guitars out there. If bout used for a reasonable price 'you can get your money back out'.

Recessions come and musicians as a group tend to be most at risk for pawning guitars. Obviously those with solid day jobs that play as a hobby won't be but who knows what is ahead. Keep your tinder dry and watch for deals in a year or two. Housing market has already cracked, YOLO FOMO buyers are now understanding what they did and wish they didn't buy in bidding frenzies.

The stickler ahead of the current economy has a huge risk for hyperinflation from printing and loan cancellation. If you see food fuel and rents up 20% a year you see what is really happening. Look into Venezuela Zimbabwe Jordan and further back Argentina Chile and 1920s Germany. There's one YouTuber born in Romania that has a little bracelet that cost as much at the end of their cycle as a whole farm did at the beginning because their currency became so devalued. If this repeats then you may want to unload cash now for assets to sell later.

I've held off throwing cash at guitars for a while now, being at peak guitar demand. I've sold a lot of the fleet.

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
Try to find undervalued, recession adverse assets that will greatly appreciate if a recession is to occur/happening. Then as the "luxury guitar" items become devalued, regardless of the inflationary or deflationary price tag, they could be a real bargain. Otoh, adjusting one's needs/wants to available resources while anticipating the future is a safe bet. At least this is my working plan, not that I need more git stuff.