1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buy a good amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by muchxs, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just glad someone called me on it. :D

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a Blues Junior for a while and I have to agree that there was nothing wrong with it, but that amp just wasn't 'inspiring' to me like it is for many people. My current living room amp is a DRRI LE, and the sounds that come out of it make me want to just play for hours-which I often do. When you find "your" perfect amp, it will change your entire playing experience.

3. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Totally not calling on anything, just an excuse to riff on my favorite distraction.
    BTW: Any other LOR or related topic questions? I'm the geekiest around.
    self-razz

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I don't get it. I've had expensive amps that were good and some that were meh. My go to amp these days is a Peavey Bandit 65 that I paid $40 for. The plastic logo is kinda broke and the reverb is sporadic but it does everything I need. If I'm feeling frisky I hook up my Phase 90 and Carbon Copy. Stupid pedals cost more than the amp did.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Different people have different wants and needs. If you're lucky (and it sounds like you are), then the itch can be scratched for less than the cost of a major kitchen appliance.

6. Mahalo

Mahalo Former Member

If your clam filter breaks, play the clam twice. It becomes jazz then.

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yes, but the premise of this whole thread is that a $300 amp is not a good amp and anyone who buys one is wasting his time and money. Spend some more money and buy "quality", whatever that is. That's a huge load of hooey.
    A good amp is one that does what you want it to, reliably. Plenty of people find that in lower priced models. Cost is not a determiner of quality, and there's no "magic number" anyone has to pay to reach "quality". That's in the ears of the beholder.
    And as to cheap amps breaking down more, there are plenty of examples of decades old Peaveys on craigslist that prove that notion wrong.

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Premise of the thread is there's a line in the sand for a lotta guys. Might as well be a brick wall.

Cost is indeed an indicator of quality. Can't buy good parts for cheap money. Trust me on this one, I do the math every day. Walk into my favorite "vintage guitar shop", check out their fancy new $500 amp. Not talkin' $300, this one is $500. Turn it around. Sez, "Made in China" in big letters on the back. Sez "Made in China" in smaller letters on the tubes. Betcha everything inside is made in China, huh? Then I mentally do the math. Yeah, I can hit that number the way I usually hit that number. I'm not gonna cut quality because that's just wrong. Nope, I'll just work for free.

GAS is addictive behavior. The basis of addiction is chasin' sumthin' that used to feel good but don't feel good no more. You walk into GC and make the best compromise your wallet will support at the moment. Big justification component to addiction. "It's o.k. because..." Ringin' any bells here?

Hey... I'm The Patron Saint Of The Low Buck Mod That Makes All The Difference. I can't help you if you're gonna buy amp after amp because you're mod averse. Can't help you if you think ten $300 amps are less expensive than one $500 amp. It kinda reflects a lack of commitment to your music. The guys who are serious tend to buy good tools.

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I went thru at least 20 amps before I finally found my favorites. I spent a ton of money on both cheap amps and good boutique ones. For me it was simply not knowing what I wanted. I bought quality stuff, but it still didn't provide the sonic tones I was looking for.

Just cause someone buys high quality gear, it doesn't mean they're going to be any happier with it.

10. Brownout

Brownout TDPRI Member

Decades old cheap amps were better built than cheap amps are today. These cheap amps today with SMT boards are disposable when they break out of warranty.

11. muchxs

Premise of the thread is there's a line in the sand for a lotta guys. Might as well be a brick wall.

Cost is indeed an indicator of quality. Can't buy good parts for cheap money. Trust me on this one, I do the math every day. Walk into my favorite "vintage guitar shop", check out their fancy new $500 amp. Not talkin' $300, this one is $500. Turn it around. Sez, "Made in China" in big letters on the back. Sez "Made in China" in smaller letters on the tubes. Betcha everything inside is made in China, huh? Then I mentally do the math. Yeah, I can hit that number the way I usually hit that number. I'm not gonna cut quality because that's just wrong. Nope, I'll just work for free.

GAS is addictive behavior. The basis of addiction is chasin' sumthin' that used to feel good but don't feel good no more. You walk into GC and make the best compromise your wallet will support at the moment. Big justification component to addiction. "It's o.k. because..." Ringin' any bells here?

Hey... I'm The Patron Saint Of The Low Buck Mod That Makes All The Difference. I can't help you if you're gonna buy amp after amp because you're mod averse. Can't help you if you think ten $300 amps are less expensive than one $500 amp. It kinda reflects a lack of commitment to your music. The guys who are serious tend to buy good tools.

12. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Lack of commitment.?
    The Emperor has spoken.....

13. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Yes, there is a brick wall. But sometimes you can ( with a little knowledge ) make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. My Champ 600 is now a 5f2a in a Blues Jr. cab (currently it has a Red Fang in it). The only thing in it that's original to the 600 is the PT and chassis. New board stuffed with good components, new Carling switch, Switchcraft jacks, CTS pots, a JAN 5751 and old RCA 6V6GTA. It rawks, it's LOUD, and I use it all the time for small bars.

The best sounding low buck MIC amp I've heard and played through is the Jet City 20 watt combo. It's built like a tank in comparison to other amps in it's class. It's a good design courtesy of Mike Soldano, and has real tube driven and recovered reverb. It's got high gain tones if you're into that, but will clean up nicely with a tube change or two. Th stock speaker is usable, but really comes alive with a Red Fang or Celestion Gold. If I didn't build my own stuff this is what I would buy for 300 bucks.

14. muchxs

Fezz, you're my brutha from another mutha but I know how you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Set your criteria so appearance isn't an issue, spend minimal time on packaging. Sounds like a silk purse, still looks like a sow's ear.

15. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

I do think there are LOTS of people who fit this profile. If people just knew what they wanted, there would be little need for a page llike this.

It's one of those: "I can't describe the tone, but I'll know it when I find it." sort of quests. And we have to admit that people also seem to follow the dictates of fashion. There was a long period when many of the "classic" amps of today, were the "has been" amps of yesterday, and the fact that they were "quality" had little to do with it. The masses just buy what's "in" at the moment. Plenty of Quality Twins and Supers out there for relatively "bargain" prices these days.

I've had my Tele for 47 years now and my Les Paul since 1970, but the amps I had in the 60's are long gone: a 66 Bandmaster and a 69 Twin Reverb. I just wasn't smart enough to hang on to them.

I would think there are plenty of good amps for $300 on the used market, and maybe even a few new ones.

But, if we narrow it down to traditional hand wired amps, and the builder is using durable and good sounding (notice I avoided the Q word) parts, I'd imagine that they aren't making enough to stay in busness, even with a single ended 6V6 design, at $500.

The other side of this is that if done in quantity, someone could make a PCB based 5E3 clone (there's someone who makes a PCB board for them, but I can't remember who right now) and sell it for $400 and make money on it. They might have to do it in China, but I'm thinking that few people that are currently looking at 5E3 clones would want a PCB amp, so they probably wouldn't sell many. Just as few would buy a PCB Deluxe Reverb clone, if it didn't say "Fender" on the front.

16. fezz parka

:lol: Yep. I picked up the Blues Jr. cab for 25 bucks here in N. Iowa. The guy who sold it bought an all pine replacement cab to improve his "tone". :lol:

Right now I'm looking for a Peavey Pacer to retrofit. My Greenlee punches can't wait to meet up with this Mississippi Marvel.:cool:

17. muchxs

Toss up a pic so the kids know what we're talkin' about.

Last time I looked it was a Champion 600 in a Blues Junior cabinet.

18. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I think there are plenty of folks who appreciate good quality work. Good on you for not sacrificing your build quality for the sake of an easier profit!

19. fezz parka

This is an early pic. The CTS speaker is gone, it now sports the Red Fang. Low input is gone, that's where the tone control is now. Vol pot is a pull pot that adds in or takes out the extra special 99 cent, 1 component gain mod. Yes kiddies, there is untapped gain available in a 5f1/5f2a. Five minutes and a couple of solder connections will make it a fire breathing monster.:lol:

From the back:
    [​IMG]

From the front:
    [​IMG]

20. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I'll buy whatever I feel I want to buy.

I'd like to know where all the internal components for your amps are made.

Please dont call us "kids" , you dont need to be condescending.

Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.