Butterscotch blonde question:

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gregulator450, Jan 22, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I was scoping out some 50's classic vibes today and saw they come in white blonde and butterscotch blonde. This got me to thinking about the butterscotch- the first time I remember seeing that color was about 20 years ago on a 52 reissue and it led me to this question:

Back in the 50's was butterscotch a thing, or is it an approximation of an aged white blonde?

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

it was a thing.

gregulator450 and Violeiro like this.
  3. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

I thought that the original black guards were almost white and over time turned bsb. I got a Nocaster that’s a very light pale yellow which I like...some AVRIs look orange.

Crobbins and gregulator450 like this.
  4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

The original early 1950-54 era Teles were a light beige color...probably what would be called honey blonde nowadays.The clear nitro top coat would yellow with age within a few years and the color would look anywhere from pale yellow to amber depending on how much it aged and what it was exposed to(sunlight,cigarette smoke ect).Here is a 1953 Tele showing the original beige color under the pickguard:

53_tele_9.jpg

Crobbins, Vibrolux59, Mike M and 7 others like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Correct. American servicemen returning from WWII brought with them 'Danish' furniture. This was white hand limed finishes over yellowish timber. With grain visible Like the colour of this page.

From 54 they actually we're almost white. It's only the yellowing of nitro paint that gives this colouration. By 1960 the auto industry was sick of reds going pink and moved to acrylic lacquer. Fender went with them.

This is my 78 polyester finish Tele 'blond'. That's the original colour under the pickguard.
    78_tele_fade.jpg

6. gregulator450

So what the guys at the factory are doing with butterscotch is giving it the old look...

Thanks you all for your answers and especially for the pics! I love seeing old teles!

highgreenchilly likes this.
  7. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I thought the original clearcoat yellowed to create BSB.

gregulator450 likes this.
  8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Butterscotch Blonde is the original relic finish! :D

(Actually, bursts were supposed to imitate aged string instruments, so they were first).

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No. Natural finish Teles are quite rare and were pale to start with, but the paint on Blackguards is actually translucent buttermilk. You can see grain through it like below, under the guard is more indicative of original colour.

Broadcaster 1950 #38
    broadnai.jpg

From 54-today Whiteguards - very white with brown grain showing like my 78 with little browning.

If you see a lineup today the 54s-on do look paler than 50-53s.

Naturals do look yellowish due to lacquer aging but originally were very pale the grain is completely visible. images.jpeg

The other confusion is Olympic White. This is a stark white new, but ages to a similar custardy yellow. The Jag below, original white under the pickguard. Body and headstock most people would say 'Butterscotch'

jagw65cp.jpg

The difference is, blonde(50-53) and blond (54-on) are always over ash, as are two colour 50s bursts. The yellow on 2 colour bursts is yellow blonde paint.

Three colour bursts and solid colours like OW are -almost always - alder which has not much grain usually. The yellow on three colour bursts is dye.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

THIS is correct!

They were not butterscotch, they were pale blonde, off white. That was a very popular color in the 1950's for a lot of things, including guitars and wooden furniture. Gibson's original blonde, on archtops, was much lighter than existing specimens suggest as well. The clear lacquer top coat yellows over time.

Buck

Vibrolux59, LPTyler and sonny wolf like this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

ya right, they were not the "butterscotch" of today. they were closer to the Mary Kay finish

12. gregulator450

I kinda want to keep this thread going so I can see all you guys' pictures of old guitars. ;)

I am actually in the market for a Squier CV 50's, and couldn't decide whether to go butterscotch or white blond. The butterscotch on Fender's website looks almost opaque, and not necessarily aged. I love that yellowed look (from a long love affair with a '52 Reissue that I let get away so I could buy a SRV Strat; one of my few regrets), but I'm gonna go with the white blond when I order up that guitar.

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Here is a picture of a 1953 blackguard's wear mark. You see the aged BSB/ yellowed clear lacquer top coat. Then along the edge between of that color and the actual wood of the guitar you see the whitish pigmented lacquer that is the color coat of the finish. :

photo 4.JPG

Crobbins and Vibrolux59 like this.
  14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender's website references the Squier Classic Vibe 50s model color's as White Blonde and Butterscotch Blonde, with both having Fender-Designed alnico pickups.

Unless Fender made changes, the White Blonde model has Alnico 3 pickups and the Butterscotch Blonde model has Alnico 5 pickups. These pickups are alleged to be unbranded Tonerider Hot Classics (A3) and Tonerider Vintage Plus (A5) pickups, and both sets sound great!

15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Here’s my diy version of a 53;)

E665A668-8D38-4507-A87F-2F56AE7E79F1.jpeg

Crobbins and Vibrolux59 like this.
  16. lasrup

lasrup TDPRI Member

My ‘58 IMG_0750.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One wonders if Butterscotch was Fender's answer to Gibson's TV Yellow. The TV yellow was so the guitar looked white on TV.

Crobbins likes this.
  18. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Oh stop it :D I just missed out on one (CV50 Butterscotch Blond Pinecaster) that was likely 8 years old (brass saddles) and going for NOK1000/$110!!
    Sold before I could fire off a message.
    Screenshot_20200123-172705.png

Crobbins likes this.
  19. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Even the poly clearcoat on my 1977 tele is beginning to yellow a bit.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.