1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Butterscotch Blonde nitro spray can

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by chief_stallion03, Jan 27, 2021.

1. chief_stallion03

chief_stallion03 TDPRI Member

I’m looking to finish my telecaster in butterscotch blonde nitro and was wondering what the best place to buy it from was

2. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Probably Re-ranch

3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Re-Ranch sells a "Butterscotch Blonde", a "Blonde" that you can tint to taste with tinted clear coat (to fake a yellowed original), and a "Mary Kaye" for those who don't want the yellowed with age look. Stew-mac also sells "Blond" (presumably from Mohawk) that you can tint over. Both are good products, but if you want to see some grain through the finish, I find rattle cans make it difficult to build up the layers.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

For a more blonde than butterscotch the Mohawk blond toner works great and it's cheap too. The last time I bought some it was around $6 or $7 bucks a can.

Here is a pic of the color - it's not quite as yellow as butterscotch.

[​IMG]

That's Mohawk blonde toner.

The body is grainfilled swamp Ash with a couple of coats of lacquer sanding sealer, followed by a couple of light coats of Mohawk blond toner, and topped off with clear lacquer.

It really doesn't get much easier. You can get all those same products from Mohawk in spray cans.

edit: I usually get Mohawk stuff from Klingspor's Woodworking Shop. They are in North Carolina, too.

gerhard_k, hemmings and robinn like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Dan Erlewine has several recipes for blonds in his book on guitar finishing but they require the ability to mix your colors - you can't get then in a rattle can. However if you want to duplicate the Fender colors its probably worth looking at.

6. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Ya might wanna give Graceys nitro a look.
    I recently used their Mary Kaye white to outstanding results.
    "Butterscotch" and "blonde" can have many subtle in-between shades and Graceys has several options

7. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I used Behlen's lacquer toner on a neck, probably work on a body too. It's very thin, see through. Goes on light and each coat will tint it more.

I used "Fruitwood" Got it at Woodcraft.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.