1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Butchered BF Tremolux - anything worth salvaging here?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Piotr, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A BF Tremolux appeared a few hours by car from my city. It has been butchered and in my opinion is not a good deal. However my amp knowledge is very limited, so I'd like to let you have a look and maybe share some thoughts.

Some info from the seller:
    - it is in working condition,
    - the trafos have been replaced with Polish-made trafos,
    - it runs two EL34Bs in the power amp,
    - an FX loop has been added, ran on a 6N2P-EV Soviet tube.

Bear in mind that I'm in Europe, so these amps are much more valuable and rare than in the US. Their repair is also more difficult and expensive, though.

2. Piotr

3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I own a BF Bandmaster and Bassman and a big fan of those vintage heads. The Tremolux sound the same as the Bandmaster, but are far more rare due to the short duration of production. That would make a collector more interested if it was returned to factory specs.

Fender used 6L6 tubes originally, so I have no idea what that thing sounds like with the EL-34B's, but I would guess a brighter tone with earlier break up. At least the work looks like it was done pretty cleanly.

For me (which is not based on any amp expertise outside of playing them) I don't mind any changes from factory if they are done well AND sort of vintage. My '64 Bandmaster was modded in the late 60's to 4-6V6 power tubes and is probably my favorite amp. It isn't factory spec, but it is a cool vintage mod that created a great tone change.

Those mods look pretty recent, so it would not make me happy. So, if you have the time, skill, or money to restore it to factory, you will have a great amp that is sure to rise in value due to the low numbers of them.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I take that back, it probably sounds darker instead of brighter....got my tubes mixed up.

5. Piotr

Thank you for your opinion, @Milspec.
    What worries me is the amount of work needed to restore that amp. Not really sure about trafo quality, EL34s, rectifier mod (?), old caps being left in the amp, quality of the work done...

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Also the original trafos were probably fried, because that voltage switch looks original for export models.

7. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Buy it for what it is, not what it could be... If you do not need it, pass.

Wally, xafinity, brogh and 1 other person like this.
  8. Piotr

Yes, they were fried on stage during a concert by the previous owner, according to the current owner.

9. Piotr

Sound advice - but still there is the issue of price and value. And not knowing what it really is without hearing it...

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  10. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would stay clear of that whole mess.......................

xafinity likes this.
  11. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I've got a BF Tremolux, actually I've had two in the past few months in my hands. I like them but wouldn't say I LOVE them... they have the very standard BF sounds and slightly less volume and a bit more overdrive.

I personally would stay clear of that amp, what a mess.. unless you get it at a cheap price and intend to leave it as it is...

xafinity likes this.
  12. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it is only worth what it is in it's present state. An unmolested BF Tremolux head in my end of the world is a $600-$1,000 item. It would take a lot to get that one any where near stock. It's a 35-40 watt tube amp. $250-300 (dollars) IMHO. Buy it to use. Not an investment.

Wally and mRtINY like this.
  13. Piotr

It is priced roughly at $610, with some room for negotiation.

14. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    uhm, i would passon that one, looks like a hell of a job to restore to original condition if that's what you want, youll need to source a bunch of parts trafo's included.

I think it wil cost you a bunch,and as of the send and return holes it will never be considered orginal, it's a cool restoration project though if that's what you're after.

teleamp couldn't have said better :)

Cheers

15. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

Pass...Next...;)

Piotr likes this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Problem is , there may not be a next one over here...
    It you want a cool players amp , and you can get it for a decent price , this could be a good buy..... Because the price of working or non working vintage amps are a lot higher over here , this project amp should be views a bit different over here , the price for parts are not so bad , since the finished amp is worth more.
    Where I am , If I could get it for slightly less than what you mention , I would buy it right away......would be a cool , unique project over here , and and the repairs could probably be done bit-for bit

Mechanic, Mike_LA and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  17. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Listen to Keith.. he knows! :D

keithb7 likes this.
  18. Piotr

It may seem so, but I know of at least 2 original BF Bandmasters in EU shops at the moment in the 1000-1200 euro range, so...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.