1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

But who fires the owners ? (Lions...sorry)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

So the Lions fired the coach and GM, who were previously successful (just kinda) at New England.

But - what has the only constant been since 1957 - the last time Detroit won a championship ?

Ownership by the Ford family. The worst owners in professional sports ? Probably.

Matthew Stafford , when he retires, will join Johnson and Barry Freaking Sanders, with great individual career stats, money and - no ring.

0AE60085-FEC9-41FE-BC8E-E703E4B87A0C.jpeg
    E3C4EF55-2863-4D76-9843-29D68CA1603B.jpeg

String Tree, glenlivet and Jim W like this.
  2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Worst owners? Not even close to Daniel Snyder

Jim W, Neener and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Being a Lions fan when I was kid 60's and early 70's was hard. I gave up on them.

Bassman8 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

The Fords aren't known for their progressive out-of-the-box thinking, which I think is one of the main problems with their losing "culture" for 50+ years.

They value their "moral high ground" more than flashy big name signings/draft picks (don't get me started on Lions draft history)

When Chevy was making backseats big enough to make a babies in, Ford made theirs smaller to prevent such blasphemy. They've been conservative weridos for EVER!!! :lol:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I agree...and it’s sad.

The first runner-up is Jerry Jones.
    He’s had entire rosters of good players (at the same time, not just here and there), but his arrogance, his meddling and his ego won’t allow him to hire a good coach and then stay out of the way.

If Jerry Jones would have kept his ego in check, the Cowboys would have at least one (if not two) more Super Bowl appearances (and perhaps victories).

I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was old enough to watch football...but the last 20+ years have made me glad that I have Dual Citizenship...erm...Fandom of both the Cowboys and the Kansas City Chiefs (the former Dallas Texans), which has only recently paid off, but...

slauson slim likes this.
  6. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

The Detroit Edsels

String Tree likes this.
  7. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I feel your pain, Mike.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

more to come

9. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    As probably one of the longest suffering Lions fan on this site, gotta say it always starts on the top, and I mean the top. Can't fire the team, can't fire the owners, so, guess who goes? Not that I don't think Patricia and Quinn deserved it. Bring back Bobby Layne.....

Neener and slauson slim like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

My boss had a little plaque on his desk, it applies here: "Dont confuse effort with results"
    It's a big boy league, you gotta make it happen.

Dan Quinn was amazing as Seahawks defense coach, hawks D hasn't been the same since. He went to Atlanta as head coach and kind of fizzled after a while. He got canned too. I wish we'd get him back as D coach!

P Thought and Bassman8 like this.
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I feel your pain. Not a Lions fan myself but I honestly want to see them have a winning season. And you are right, it most certainly starts at the top.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Also , when Mike Illitch (Little Caesar’s uh...er, “pizza”) was alive, and he owned the Tigers and the Red Wings , he didn’t always have deep pockets for both teams in a given year.

But - he did spend $$$ on talent and the results , certainly in the Red Wings case, are irrefutable.

The Tigers haven’t won a World Series since 1984 but they have been in it twice since and have been serious contenders a number of years.

Compare/contrast...:(

I have actually met more than one person lately/locally who has said essentially the same thing : watching the Lions their whole life has soured them on the game of football - as a whole. Not fans of any team, don’t really watch.

13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Throwback uniform
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.