But *which* Iphone? And *which* company? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by allen st. john, Oct 14, 2011.

Which iphone should I buy?

1. 3GS from AT&T

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. 4G/GS from AT&T

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. 4G/GS from Verizon

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. 4G/4GS from Sprint

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Two tin cans and a long string

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

I'm in the catbird seat, cell phone wise.

I have five lines on AT&T where the contracts are expired, so I can leave with no penalties. And unlike when I got my iphone three years ago, there are now three companies with iphone service.

I don't want to blow this opportunity.

Unlike many people, I'm pretty happy with my AT&T service, and I've had Verizon in the past. The coverage wasn't really any better and the customer service was awful. I'm also grandfathered in on a $30 unlimited data plan on my iphone.

We don't talk a huge amount, my son texts a lot by my standards but not by kid standards, and we'd use a modest amount of data.

I don't really need to switch, but I hope/expect that AT&T might sweeten the pot if I threaten to leave. Suggestions of what I might ask for and how?

And phonewise, what's the sweet spot?
    A free 3Gs? (only on AT&T)
    A 8 gig 4G for $99?
    A 16 gig 4GS for $199?

(I had been hoping for a big Iphone 5 upgrade, but we--me, my wife and two kids--all need new phones, so we're going to do this now.)

TIA

2. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you are happy with AT&T, I would say stick with them, considering you are grandfathered in with the data plan.

I was thinking about replacing my 3GS with a 4G given the discounts, but for me the 4GS has enough new features to make it worth the $50 extra for the newer phone.

I would only look at 3GS if I were strictly on a budget.

3. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

1) Get the 4S - the 3GS is getting long in the tooth and the 4 is not going to hold as strong as a 4s fo the length of a 2 year contract.

2) The 4S data modem improvements will only be seen on ATT (assuming ATT impoves their network as planned). Both Verizon and Sprint will be limited to below average 3G speeds with any iPhone.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I agree with jmaul.

5. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

I'd get the 4S if I were buying right now. It has enough advantages over the 4 to make it worthwhile, but not enough to convince me to upgrade from the 4 I already have (especially since I'm still under contract) - but if I were buying new and didn't have to worry about that, I'd definitely get the 4S.

Carrier choice depends on coverage. Verizon's coverage is beyond terrible where I live, so AT&T was a no-brainer. All other things being equal (as they seem to be in your case), I'd choose AT&T for the customer service.

6. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

The 4s is really great.
    I wouldn't be getting anything else unless you can't afford/justify the expense.

7. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I agree with this.... Unlimited data for such a low price is something to keep hold of for as long as you can deal with AT&T.

However i will add that for the next 1-2 years Verizon will have the better network. The majority of ATT's 4g (true 4g) won't be fully built out until 2013 or later.

Also - If you like the smartphones go with the 4s. Since you have unlimited data it wont be a problem. Droids are a hackers dream.

My 2c only...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.