Busting Into Song with Strangers

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was in the supermarket this morning getting some stuff together for tomorrow's stew (and other things). The piped-in music was better than usual today, and at one point Tom Petty's 'American Girl' was playing.

As I (middle-aged guy) was going down one aisle, a middle-aged couple was coming towards me in the same aisle. The man started singing along with the verse, and I joined him. He said "There you go!". We sang alternating lines in the bridge as if we knew what we were doing, and both sang the chorus. Neither of us sang very well, he danced, and I air guitared. His wife looked at us both with derision, and it was awesome.

Thank you random stranger, you made my day. 👍

Sometimes it's nice to remember what music is all about.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Very cool story. Sometimes acting outside of the box is the best…public be damned
Your story is uplifting. A pox on his wife’s derision. Lighten up gal

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Not music-related, but recently, when I wear my NY Yankee cap when I’m out and about, strangers will strike up conversations with me, since Aaron Judge has hit all those homers and the team clinched first place.

I suppose society is beginning to recover from all that social distancing and stuff that started 31 months ago.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Very cool story. Sometimes acting outside of the box is the best…public be damned
Your story is uplifting. A pox on his wife’s derision. Lighten up gal

It wasn't genuine derision. More of a roll the eyes while smirking, more embarrassed for us than she was for herself.

The correct kind of Matrimonial Derision!

And yes, in spite of all the negativity I've been posting here lately, it was an uplifting experience. I'm working on the negativity, and stuff like this helps. 👍

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
There's a 99% guarantee that she will be telling this story, warmly and with affection, to whomever she chats with over the next 2 weeks. It may be packaged with a bit of OMG, but she loves it :)

Exactly!

Almost motivates me to find a gf or similar so I can "annoy" her with such stuff on the regular. Just like I used to always do.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Holic
Exactly!

Almost motivates me to find a gf or similar so I can "annoy" her with such stuff on the regular. Just like I used to always do.
I should have prefaced that when it comes to the fairer sex, that is the only thing that I am confident about predicting. To claim otherwise, would be foolish and misguided.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I was at an open mic waiting my turn with a "beverage". I was in booth near the "stage" and whatever the guy was singing had a second part and without even thinking about it I sang that other part. He reacted well and I realized what the hell I was doing. I was kind of pleased and embarrassed at the same time.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I was in the supermarket this morning getting some stuff together for tomorrow's stew (and other things). The piped-in music was better than usual today, and at one point Tom Petty's 'American Girl' was playing.

As I (middle-aged guy) was going down one aisle, a middle-aged couple was coming towards me in the same aisle. The man started singing along with the verse, and I joined him. He said "There you go!". We sang alternating lines in the bridge as if we knew what we were doing, and both sang the chorus. Neither of us sang very well, he danced, and I air guitared. His wife looked at us both with derision, and it was awesome.

YESSS!!!
You've made my day knowing that somewhere in the world this was happening.

When I become Emperor, I'll make employing air guitarists in the supermarket mandatory.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity

Surveillance cameras up & running?
You probably made some loss-prevention worker's day.

Wives are contractually obligated to issue the glare of derision...
;)

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I’d actually like to see a thing like that happening while I was checking out the coffee prices. It’d be like a little movie in Aisle 7.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Used to have a job and it was an office of 3 older ladies (over 50), myself, and a 20 something guy. One night as we are about to close up, i heard one sing the first line to Born to be Wild, so I chimed in, then the other older lady chimed in an we were off and rocking! 20 something was blown away that we all knew every word.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Our local IGA has a good soundtrack and I often find myself stopping under a speaker to catch a good song or turn into an aisle quietly singing along and nearly bump into another shopper digging the same tune...

I was in there early this sunday morning, it was quiet at the checkout with a girl on there who I remembered from when I ran the school rock band. "You were at the local primary school weren't you?".. I ran the band there.. she nodded/smiled to say she remembered me... now a late high school student, but was never one of my guitar kids....

the next thing she said was.." I play the Bass now "...with the confidence of someone who did...

That filled me with the best feeling.. as I congratulated her.. Awesome!!

..I started so many young kids on bass in the bands who had never held a guitar before and they all got it... and kept playing when they went to highschool...

There was a thread about... do they make rock stars anymore...

I must be one of the "they" as I set dozens of kids on their way to rock stardom, the rest is up to them.. ;)

some of them are performing/recording these days, locally.... :)

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I was at a live show in the early 1990's in Germany.

Crowded House was about to play the Serenadenhof Nürnberg, I was there with my first wife and a good friend.
It was a lovely venue, and good food, bier, and wine were served hither and yon in a historic and tastefully-restored location.

In the minutes leading up to Neil and the fellows taking the stage, some piped in music broadcast thru the house PA.

Elvis Costello's song Oliver's Army was playing, and a German fellow was lustily singing along.
The guy was gorgeously on-key, and he knew every word.

I was moved to sing along, and so I harmonized behind my new friend.
We draped arms over each other's shoulders, and sang the heck out of that song, loudly.

When it ended, the nearby crowd clapped and cheered.
It was a moment.

😃

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was at the Food King with my son who was singing along to the store soundtrack. This guy coming the other way heard him and started singing harmony off of my son, all while without breaking his stride or stopping his harmony as he passed us until he was out of hearing range.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I love this!!!

Once we were on a “poor” tour and stayed at the Lutheran Seafarers hostel in Manhattan, a place for foreign merchant sailors. Between gigs we had a “snow day” with nothing to do so we went to the basement lounge (only room with a TV) and played our acoustics. One by one sailors from Russia, Finland, Norway, Japan, etc., funneled down in their sweats and jumped in. We were just having a ball playing some Stones and similar stuff. After about an hour there were people from all over the world just arm in arm singing. It’s still one of the best times I’ve ever had playing an instrument. All these giant dudes in sweatsuits speaking all different languages and there’s some hippie looking dorks playing “Sympathy” and the whole room of strangers came together. Remarkable. I’ll never forget how that felt. I’ve played large shows that weren’t that joyful.