Busted for failure to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jul 22, 2015.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Lesson learned? Yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

Oh yeah. Stop whining.

2. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Two things going on here, and I am sure someone already mentioned it.

They are raising revenue. Period. That is the reason for the stops.
    They are breaking in new cops.

I never used to stop for pedestrians until I went to college. There you couldn't do anything but stop for them because they just walked out into the crosswalk expecting you to stop. I mean on 4 lane highways. So I learned very early on, that I had to stop or hit somebody.
    Soon it became learned behavior. Now I stop for people even walking toward the crosswalk. As a driver-and I live in your sister state-we take second place to pedestrians. In the town where I live we have both a deaf school and a blind school. So when I drive I am always keeping my eyes open.
    I don't agree with their ped-trap. To me it is stealing. But after being "trained" so to speak I have come to notice how most drivers would just as soon hit them, and not wait the 30 seconds it takes for someone to cross. Besides, unless you live in a big city with a lot of public transport, you don't run into the situation all that often (no pun intended). This is just the start.

3. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

In our town we have no traffic lights, no roundabouts but 3 pedestrian crossings and 90% of local vehicles have Roo bars.

4. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

How much "revenue enhancement" does the issuing agency actually experience? Perhaps things are different in Wisconsin, and the lion's share of the fine collected DOESN'T go to the court system (as opposed to the issuing agency). Or, maybe it really is worth it to the local PD to spend hours out there with multiple personnel, who will spend more hours writing reports afterward, for a few dollars months from now...if the fines are paid and once the court disburses funds.

I certainly don't have any particular insight in either of those matters. If someone here does, I'd be very interested to hear their experience. I'm really curious. However -- and I am by no means an apologist for law enforcement agencies -- I would need more information before I could embrace the "revenue enhancement" theory, at least as it seems to be presented - that the agency is counting on their share of your fine to pay for next year's order of cruisers.

Now, it seems possible that a project of this sort could be put together for the purpose of obtaining grant funding from some larger agency. That seems credible. Anyway, does anyone know?

Also:

Absolutely. You chose to take a phone call while driving. He had intended to issue a warning, but exercised his discretion to cite you after you invited him to do so. What's the problem?

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's called VENTING. It's what we sometimes do here, in the Bad Dog Cafe.
    Stick around a while longer and you might learn that, low-post count guy. :D

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's not as bad as NYC in the '90s where they would arrest buyers of certain illegal products, one after the next, stuff them in vans, and leave the dealers in plain sight to keep selling.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't recall bragging about being retro. I just hate smart phones. So do my sons, who are 15 and 18. We see them as stupid status symbols, and we ourselves have no use for them.

We were at Gov Dodge beach this evening, it was beautiful out, and I can't tell you the number of people there who couldn't be satisfied to live in the joy of the moment, but had to update statuses, blog, websurf, take selfies, whatever it is that everyone does on the things

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My town is packed with tourists this time of year, walking into traffic with their noses glued to their smart phones, or driving while searching for a restaurant on their smart phones.

So, uh, smart phones are the cause of pedestrian crosswalk traps.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tough crowd! (pssst...I think low post guy is a closet pedestrian)

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What if I told you that a driver who gets out of the car becomes a pedestrian?

:lol:

11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Kind of like bragging about your post count.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Most important post in the thread.

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven't looked up CO law, but since we take all our cues from CA, likely the same.

I will say, I typically advance once the pedestrian(s) are safely out of the way, ie, even if they're still in the crosswalk (but well away from me), I move forward.

If I ever get a ticket, I'll pay for it. But I have to say, that's a ridiculous law. Discretion should be exercised by the police instead of looking for ways to issue tickets. It's technically against the law to drive 58 in a 55, but who has ever gotten a ticket for that? Not many.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What is this black magic??

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Really. Next thing he'll try to tell us is that a pedestrian can get behind the wheel and magically transform into a motorist...

16. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Code:

Yeah, or how about The Angry Pedestrians? :lol:

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Low-post count guy? Really? I'm trying to determine if you are being discriminatory, a bully, an ashhole, or all the above.

18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Didn't you see the smiley? He's kidding around.

Also, would it kill you to post more than once a day?

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Right behind me the whole time.

I put up with it because I had the time to waste. I was going to end up back at that intersection talking to the police anyway. If I was right (which I was), I managed to waste 3 hours of her time, and got her a ticket. If I was wrong, I still wasted 3 hours of her time.

And I still wonder how she explained it to her employer. "Boss, I made an illegal turn on red, clipped a guy, then followed him around for 3 hours until I could call the cops. Who then gave me a ticket."

garytelecastor,

No possibility that they're trying to raise the awareness of those particular laws (that get broken all the time)? And that an effective way to do that is to give out a bunch of tickets such that the local media picks it up?

The police guy in charge of traffic enforcement in Madison (they guy who presumably sets these things up) says that the pedestrian has to put a foot on the street to be in the intersection. If blowtorch's guy didn't step into the street, look like he'd be clear.

They ran the same sting downtown last year, and made pains to have the 'pedestrian' actually step off the sidewalk. And in that version (assuming I got the right news story) they put traffic cones far enough back from the intersection to be 5% further than the stopping distance at the speed limit, so that the 'pedestrian' would not step into the intersection if the car was already too close (as you've seen, the law provides for that).

20. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

When my father was a police officer in Collier County, Florida the officers would have to work ticket-duty on Alligator Alley twice a year.

It was totally, and unequivocally, an income drive for the Sheriff's Department.

My father had a CB radio in his car, as well as his police radio. He would park his car in the palmetto bushes at the 4-mile marker just outside of Naples. He would then get on the CB radio, and tell everyone that there was a police car at the 7 mile mark, but from there on in, it was "clean and green" all the way to the toll booth.

The trucks and rigs listening to the CB radio would slow down at the 7m and hit the gas when they drove past the "speed trap" they never saw. Then he would pull them over and write tickets as they sped past him.

Entrapment? Not really. Douchy? Oh yeah!

The other thing that I thought was funny, that someone mentioned here, was that when they got pulled over, folks would get mad and say, "Why don't you go catch drug dealers or murderers or something?"

He would say, "Well, because drug dealers and murderers are dangerous, and you are way easier to catch."

He hated ticket duty, but figured he would make it fun while he was forced to do it.

~syf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.