Buss bars?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Uncle Daddy, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I've not done one of these before; the last couple of kits I built had a bar soldered to the back of the pots, but I understand that's poor practice. If I ground the various connections to the bar, what happens to the pots? Do they just connect through the chassis?

Thanks

P1130265.JPG

sds1 likes this.
  2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

More like poor design, the practice itself as demonstrated over and over again in various builds (commercial and otherwise) is not necessarily a recipe for trouble.

You could, but personally I'm not a fan of things that can get loose (pots, jacks) being responsible for grounds. Also, this falls under the same "poor practice" umbrella with respect to grounds and potential ground loops. So, consider running short hookups from pots to the ground buss.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

There's nothing technically wrong with it......but if you need to change out a pot in the future it becomes a pain.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, through the chassis as are all old Fenders...
    Or separate your preamp/input grounds from your PI/powersection grounds and have your bussbars separate from the pots.

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Check out Rob's Princeton Reverb site. He shows a diagram with pot connections to the ground bus wire.

6. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I think there might have been some confusion about what you were asking versus what was getting answered. Just to be clear if you connect your signal grounds to a bus bar you do not have to worry about doing anything to ground your potentiometer casings. They are grounded to the chassis when you attach them, and in that situation they're just acting as a shield like the chassis itself does so it does not matter where or how they're grounded.

Paul-T, Uncle Daddy and sds1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.