Busking amps

HarryScallywag

TDPRI Member
Hey everyone,

I want to eventually return to busking, however with my health being what it is, my roland street ex is way to big for me lug around these days. I have seen the adverts for the vox adio air, which seems to be roughly the size of a loaf of bread which would be much better for me in terms of lugging it around...so is anyone on here using a vox adio air as a busking amp? If so, whats your experience with it?

Last edited:

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
weather is improving, so this little 50w guy will be going with me

B9018695-46D1-48B8-8AAC-DC9EAA4503DF.jpeg

it likes single coils

https://www.templodevices.com/

GuitarsBuicks

Tele-Afflicted
Hey everyone,

I want to eventually return to busking, however with my health being what it is, my roland street ex is way to big for me lug around these days. I have seen the adverts for the vox adio air, which seems to be roughly the size of a loaf of bread which would be much better for me in terms of lugging it around...so is anyone on here using a vox adio air as a busking amp? If so, whats your experience with it?

Have you considered the original busking amp...the legendary Pignose Legendary 7-100 1x5 replaceable battery amp...also has a wall-wart plug and phones jack.

This is actually on my bucket list to own...Seems practical for busking...You could always plug it into a local PA.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-amps-pignose-5-watt-1x5-inch-combo-amp-tweed

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pignose/Legendary-7-100-Portable-Amp.gc

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a Blackstar Superfly with the additional speaker. The Superfly w/o the added speaker has a nice carrying case. All that said, when I go, I’m using a cart;).

GuitarsBuicks

Tele-Afflicted
Have you considered the original busking amp...the legendary Pignose Legendary 7-100 1x5 replaceable battery amp...also has a wall-wart plug and phones jack.

This is actually on my bucket list to own...Seems practical for busking...You could always plug it into a local PA.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-amps-pignose-5-watt-1x5-inch-combo-amp-tweed

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pignose/Legendary-7-100-Portable-Amp.gc

Correction! Its a pre-amp out...not a phones jack. Apparently reading is important.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
There was a rather extensive thread or 2 here last year Of a bloke from London asking same thing. Used subway to get to place. Not sure if your vox was brought up.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey everyone,

I've never busked, never plan to, but I've got what I use for certain gigs where an electric outlet isn't available or too distant to be convenient.

But Harry, you have yet to reply to the responses you're getting here, you ol' Scallywag. :twisted: So I hesitate to make any recommendations without input from you on the weight issue and other needs. Like @ce24 I consider the Roland CUBE Street EX light. The specs on the Roland website say it's 16 lbs. 6 oz. If that's too heavy, I have to wonder if your health simply precludes busking at this particular time.

As for the VOX Adio Air, I have no experience with it, but I have difficulty believing it can be a viable option for a busking situation. On a noisy street or even just outdoors in a park, an amp with just two 3" speakers I would think of more as a practice amp.

Maybe I'm wrong. In searching for info on the Adio, I came across this pic, which though undoubtedly staged is trying to give the impression of a busking type situation.

iu

I've already admitted I've never busked, but I have played an acoustic guitar unplugged in a park on a few occasions, and had people come closer to listen. So if all the volume output you need is for people to hear your playing from 6-10 feet away, maybe the Adio will suffice for your instrument.

Of course, if you're going to need something for both guitar and vocals, the Adio won't do. In that case, as @JKPickin already said, maybe the VOX Mini5 Rhythm. But it's worth taking note that the mic input on the Mini5 is a 1/4" input, so you'll either need a dynamic mic like a karaoke mic with a 1/4" plug or else an XLR to 1/4" adapter.

HarryScallywag

TDPRI Member
Hey all thanks for the responses.....sorry been busy with doctors appoinments. Anyways...i used to busk in the nyc subways , bringing punk rock to the masses, but then due to a slew of health issues and so had to stop. Not trying to be debbie downer lol but had a really rough last couple years which included a widow maker heart attack a quadruple bypass, and a bunch of other stuff.
But now have gotten the urge again, sort of a a way of trying to take my life back...but now my physical limitations are rather different now.. I originally used to use a roland cube street, then eventually upgraded to a cube street ex...however now, no way i can lug that cube steet ex as it weighs too much to sling around. I figured on the vox adio , cause it will both fit in my backpack and also is listed at something like 7 pounds. Also seems pretty cool and has a bunch of different modeling amps. Mic input is cool, but dont need it, as the one time I did use a mic, cops were called and i thought i was gonna get bagged as breaking the mic stand down quick and putting it on my bag was a real ***** lol. Lol

HarryScallywag

TDPRI Member
I've never busked, never plan to, but I've got what I use for certain gigs where an electric outlet isn't available or too distant to be convenient.

But Harry, you have yet to reply to the responses you're getting here, you ol' Scallywag. :twisted: So I hesitate to make any recommendations without input from you on the weight issue and other needs. Like @ce24 I consider the Roland CUBE Street EX light. The specs on the Roland website say it's 16 lbs. 6 oz. If that's too heavy, I have to wonder if your health simply precludes busking at this particular time.

As for the VOX Adio Air, I have no experience with it, but I have difficulty believing it can be a viable option for a busking situation. On a noisy street or even just outdoors in a park, an amp with just two 3" speakers I would think of more as a practice amp.

Maybe I'm wrong. In searching for info on the Adio, I came across this pic, which though undoubtedly staged is trying to give the impression of a busking type situation.

iu

I've already admitted I've never busked, but I have played an acoustic guitar unplugged in a park on a few occasions, and had people come closer to listen. So if all the volume output you need is for people to hear your playing from 6-10 feet away, maybe the Adio will suffice for your instrument.

Of course, if you're going to need something for both guitar and vocals, the Adio won't do. In that case, as @JKPickin already said, maybe the VOX Mini5 Rhythm. But it's worth taking note that the mic input on the Mini5 is a 1/4" input, so you'll either need a dynamic mic like a karaoke mic with a 1/4" plug or else an XLR to 1/4" adapter.

I am trying to go as light as possible as i dont wannna get to my destination and be worn out already. My experiences with the vox mini rythym5 is one of the reasons i am contemplating the adio air. From the reviews i have seen it does modern distortion really well, am not necessarily a fan of the modern distortion tones on that mini5 hence me looking for somethin else.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I’d use my Fishman Loudbox Charge. Light and loud sounds great and includes a mic input.

I don’t know the Vox, but I do have a Yamaha THR5 which is similar in concept. That is louder than you might think - I’ve used mine at open mics without support from the pa other than for vocals. Trouble with it is is no mic input so in a busking situation no singing.

HarryScallywag

TDPRI Member
I’d use my Fishman Loudbox Charge. Light and loud sounds great and includes a mic input.

I don’t know the Vox, but I do have a Yamaha THR5 which is similar in concept. That is louder than you might think - I’ve used mine at open mics without support from the pa other than for vocals. Trouble with it is is no mic input so in a busking situation no singing.

i always did ok with not using a mic as my voice is bad enough without amplifying it lol

HarryScallywag

TDPRI Member
i always did ok with not using a mic as my voice os bad enough without amplifying it lol

i have heard good things about that yamaha u mentioned as well

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I am trying to go as light as possible as i dont wannna get to my destination and be worn out already. My experiences with the vox mini rythym5 is one of the reasons i am contemplating the adio air. From the reviews i have seen it does modern distortion really well, am not necessarily a fan of the modern distortion tones on that mini5 hence me looking for somethin else.

i always did ok with not using a mic as my voice is bad enough without amplifying it lol

Harry, your interest in the Adio Air for its modern distortion amp modeling made me go look at the thing. In so doing, I realized that it is very, very similar to the VOX Cambridge50 that I bought...

upload_2021-4-4_20-47-6.png

upload_2021-4-4_20-46-21.png

...and returned a few days later.

Unlike you, I could have cared less about the right side of the amp modeling dial. IOW, I'm not interested in the distortion models. All the OD/Distortion I was looking for was on the left side; the "Boutique OD" and the AC30 Top Boost. Maybe a little of the Brit 1959. Oh, yeah, and I might have gotten some use out of that LINE model for acoustic/electric.

Ultimately, I just don't think modeling amps are for me. But the Cambridge50's models had a noticeable disparity between the volume levels of the amp voicings. Change an amp voicing, and you have to reconfigure Gain and Volume settings each time. I found that for me it was too much fiddling with knobs. Once I get to a gig and do my sound check, I'm pretty much a set it/forget it kinda guy. So it went back.

Of course, that was my experience, with a 50 watt amp that weighed like 20 lbs., so I'm not trying to redirect you. I just was able to get a sense of what you were looking for in the Adio when I researched it, because of how similar all the controls are. Maybe the amp could work for you, since you don't need to provide for vocals.

Another option that would be really lightweight but pretty spartan by comparison would be one of VOX' MV50 amps. The last time I was in my local Mom & Pop store, I test drove the AC model, into the VOX BC112 cab.

upload_2021-4-4_21-30-45.png

The amp head itself about the size of a pedal, and weighs just a little over a pound. Of course, that 1x12" cab I played through is way over the weight limit for what you're considering, but they do make a BC108 cab, which just weighs 8.6 lbs. So that rig would be just under 10 lbs. total. I'm sure the cab with the 8" speaker will sound different than the 1/12" I played through, but I'd guess that an 8" speaker still will rock better than the Adio's 2x3s.

Again, the model I was playing through was the AC voicing. These MV50 amp heads have just Gain, Tone and Volume knobs, but I was surprised at how good and expressive it sounded. In addition to the AC, Clean and Boutique versions, they make Rock and High Gain models, if that's your thing. Each of the models is essentially a one trick pony, so you'd have to like the trick, or buy more than one. They're $220. And if you wanted some effects, you put that in front of the MV50.

upload_2021-4-4_21-33-13.png
upload_2021-4-4_21-43-34.png