Bus driver got mad at me today

Jackroadkill

Tele-Holic
BTW, don't you (in UK) have to have your National Health card for medical reasons?

We don't have one. If you need medical treatment, you just go to a doctor and they treat or refer you as necessary. We might be a backwater on the world stage (which I kind of like) but universal healthcare on our National Health Service is something of which we're proud of and grateful to have.

Spox

Tele-Meister
We don't have one. If you need medical treatment, you just go to a doctor and they treat or refer you as necessary. We might be a backwater on the world stage (which I kind of like) but universal healthcare on our National Health Service is something of which we're proud of and grateful to have.
That is an idealised version whilst my version was a doctors surgery two blocks away from me which locked its doors for two years and appeared to make itself deliberately uncontactable by disabling its email address and not answering its phones ever. When it finally re opened its doors this year it would not allow me to make a walk in appointment, you know, walking in and asking the receptionists to assign you an appointment at some point in the hopefully near future, I was instead told that only appointments made over the phone were allowed and when I pointed out that I had not been able to get through to them on the phone once in the previous two years they told me to suck it up.

I also encountered a completely unacceptable level of personal abuse from a stand in doctor whilst attending a hospital for a potentially life threatening ailment last year and because our medical profession investigates itself it found in his favour when he just denied everything which he had said.

After waiting over a decade for referal for recurring chest pains I went to what I had mistakenly believed was going to be a physio only to instead be read poetry by some buddhists.

I have been taken on by a practice outwith my area, I was lucky to get this and most will not accomodate such a request, so far it seems to do what it supposed to do whereas the two in my own area are, imo from my own experience of them, broken and dysfunctional.

The NHS did indeed used to be great but it is crumbling under reduced investment and unsustainable demand.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
This is what our bus drivers look like around here. Don't mess with Carlton!
21273396_860479067454967_2963585752964269340_o.jpg
He's a big softie really.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
ROTFLMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: Norman conquest.... now THAT was funny!

FWIW - I still use checks.... Perhaps I'm a descendant of William? :eek:
Since the Norman Conquest is not as absurd as it might seem......not 1066, but 1977. The Norman Conquests was a great TV mini-series from the UK.....Tom Conti and Richard Briers, among others. ;)

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
This is a funny thread. Back in the day I worked public transit in the maintenance shops. We assigned the bus to the route in order of pullout in the schedule. I had worked graveyard and was ready to go home. I would greet the incoming operators with “Happy Monday!”. At best I’d get a grunt of remorse or the best was an FY for my efforts as most were hung over from the weekend. A few were quite glad to be there. I would avoid those if I could as they usually had a screw loose.
On another note. Utah in the state has very strict liquor laws. I can’t drink as I’m a nasty drunk. That being said, I do love a non-alchy beer. I’m asked for ID every time I buy my non-alchohol beer.
Government go figure.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Today I went out with my daughter to celebrate my birthday. The second bus we boarded (after coffee), my bus tickets were stuck together and I had my gift from mini me in one hand. I tried to separate the tickets with the other hand and it wasn’t going quick, so my daughter helped me out. But the driver got pissy and yelled at me for not being ready ahead of time.

Still smirking about it. I wasn’t blocking anyone. Everyone else had boarded. And the driver had started going to the next stop.

But, it worked in my favour. I felt like I was 15 getting in trouble instead of 51. ;)

The irony was amusing.

This post has no point other than to share a laugh. I needed one. Maybe someone else relates.
So no "sore-y, sore-y"? Are you sure the bus driver wasn't an American sleeper agent trying to invade Canada?

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm trying to think of the last time I road on a public bus, not counting things like airport/hotel shuttles and such. I guess it would have been in the early 1980's when I was stationed outside of Washington DC and I didn't have my car with me at the time.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
That is an idealised version whilst my version was a doctors surgery two blocks away from me which locked its doors for two years and appeared to make itself deliberately uncontactable by disabling its email address and not answering its phones ever. When it finally re opened its doors this year it would not allow me to make a walk in appointment, you know, walking in and asking the receptionists to assign you an appointment at some point in the hopefully near future, I was instead told that only appointments made over the phone were allowed and when I pointed out that I had not been able to get through to them on the phone once in the previous two years they told me to suck it up.

I also encountered a completely unacceptable level of personal abuse from a stand in doctor whilst attending a hospital for a potentially life threatening ailment last year and because our medical profession investigates itself it found in his favour when he just denied everything which he had said.

After waiting over a decade for referal for recurring chest pains I went to what I had mistakenly believed was going to be a physio only to instead be read poetry by some buddhists.

I have been taken on by a practice outwith my area, I was lucky to get this and most will not accomodate such a request, so far it seems to do what it supposed to do whereas the two in my own area are, imo from my own experience of them, broken and dysfunctional.

The NHS did indeed used to be great but it is crumbling under reduced investment and unsustainable demand.
37 year wait and 5 misdiagnosis for a Neuro Psychology assessment to tell me I was right all along and that didn't happen until I got my MSP (local parliament member) involved.
An adrenal crisis late last year which nearly killed me before they acknowledged Hypopituitarism and gave me the appropriate tests and meds also related to the 37 year old wait.

I'll avoid any further comment for moderation reasons.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
No, you don't have to carry anything. No one is going to deny you medical care, even if you are technically not entitled to it.

And yes, if I want to drive I would need a licence, of course.

Funnily enough, last year I paid off my mortgage (yay!) It was really complicated to do it online so I went to my bank. They said they could do it in one payment but I'd need photo ID - which I don't have.

-So, what are my options?

-Well, you could write a cheque.

-But no one's written a cheque since before D-day.

-But you can.

-What I mean is no one has a cheque book any more. Including me.

-Then you need photo ID.

So . . . I went home and searched in my loft, and there was a grubby old cheque book from around the time of the Norman conquest (well, ok, about 2000), and I walked into my mortgage bank, wrote a cheque to myself for over 100k, and that was that.

Seems like not all the old systems have died out.
I still write a couple checks each month. Although there are a couple institutions online that have access to one credit card and one checking account with a minimal balance, I still think that the fewer places that can access these, the better but I'm learning to accept the fact that very soon paper checks will be part of history.
When I was in the 9th grade we were all taught how to write checks and maintain the balance in a checking account. I'm pretty sure that this is no longer taught. Now it seems like Venmo, Chime etc are the money grabbers but I honestly don't know. PayPal is as far as I got with an electronic payment service and that's as a buyer.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the NHS, our GP practice have done a good job (after first couple of months which were an ordeal for every organisation) we've always managed to get appointments when we needed them, and doctors have often contacted us to discuss test results, where in the past we had to ring for the results, then ask for an appointment to discuss what treatment or further tests might be required. I don't see my GP face to face as often as I used to, but I have more contact which is working well for me.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday!

FYI - Small minded people are more easily offended.
Thanks guys for the birthday wishes.

Today I went out again. No daughter this time so I made sure my tickets were ready ahead of time. One day older, one day wiser (but I’m sure that’s just a passing phase). Still got dirty looks from one guy - maybe they don’t like longhairs. Vigilant former hall monitors is probably right.